DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil Question again

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  ramoreno 
#1 ·
:4-dontknow: I search a lot about what type of oil to use in my truck, but the problem i have is this, everybody says: use what your owners manual says. well, im ok with that, but my manual says use 10w30, under the hood is a sticker and says use 15w40, and the oil cap says 5w30. my truck is a 2002 with 4.7 engine.
And my dad have a 2010 hemi and the manual says use 5w30 and the oil cap says 5w20 and another sticker says 15w40 under the hood. :4-dontknow:

i really need the help of the people in the forum, i have more questions, well is a really long story about my truck, but right now i need to solve the oil question.
i know is a lot of treads about that and believeme i read a lot. thanks for your time, and sorry for my english.
now im gona open a new tread to told the long story of my truck
gracias

#2 · (Edited)
With it telling you three different oil types I would contact a dealer. That would be the safest bet with the most accurate answer. If push came to shove I would follow the owners manual but we have no idea what's been done to your truck in the past. Could have had a different motor installed etc.

Edit: the dealer can also pull ALL the information on your truck by the vin number.

#3 ·
Unless you trucks motor is completely worn out and consuming 2 quarts every 1000 miles, don't run 15w-40. The manual on my 2002 tells me to run either 5w30 in any climate (also the preferred weight in all climates according to the manual), or in my climate 10w30 would be okay. I run 5w30 and have had no problems, and my truck has 165,000+ miles on it. Run either 5 of 10 weight, whatever gives you tickles in your belly button and sleep well at night, but please stay away from the 15w40.

Also, could you please post a pic of that sticker that tells you to put 15w40 in it?

#4 ·
The first gen 4.7L (what you have) was supposed to run on 30 weight (5w30 or 10w30 will work). The first number just means that it will flow at that cold of a temp (5w30 flows down to 5 deg where as 10w30 only flows down to 10 deg). I'd use 5w30 if possible. If not then 10w30 should be fine. I agree that unless you are consuming a lot of oil then don't use the 40 weight oil, that sticker was probably put on due to you being in a different (hotter...maybe?) region and whoever put it there may have not known for sure what they were doing/thinking.

With your dad's 2010.... the second gen 4.7L (what he has) calls for 20 weight, so I'd run a 5w20 (that's what's in mine).

If it makes you feel better I just double checked in the database I have access to and for a 2002 ram 1500 with 4.7L it calls for 5w30. For a 2010 dodge ram 1500 with 4.7L it calls for 5w20.

In short....the oil caps are correct...

And your English is muy bien!

#5 ·
thanks for the fast answer, to all, well im from mexico and the dealer put 5w30 in the 2010 truck, and for my truck i think im gona use the 10w30, here the temp dont go lower to 10 celsius, right now is 26 c° somthing like 32f°, but is a hot place in summer heat up to 40c°, im gona take the pictures of the stickers to see what you tink about it

#6 ·
Im pretty sure the temps are in F not C, so 5w20 would be good down to 5 F not 5 C, but I'm not positive on that...

5w20 and 10w20 would perform the same (like a 20 weight) at 100 C, the difference is the 5w20 will perform better at colder temp (even if your region doesn't get that cold, it will benefit you still). A 0w20 would be even better.

Personally, I'd run exactly what was on the cap, or even a 0w30 in your truck and a 0w20 in your dads. In your hot climate though a 5w20 in yours and 5w30 in your dad's are fine. 10w20 in yours and 10w30 in your dad's would be fine to, but I'd just prefer the 5 weights...

And get the 30 weight out of the 2010 4.7L and put 20 weight in.

#8 ·
i dont think so, because my truck have it and is a 2002 4.7, and my dads truck have it and is a 2010 5.7. im in the process of make a tread about this things, becasue here in mexico is not the same. im gonna take the pictures of the 2 stickers, and if someone tellme how to upload a picture i can show you how the owners manual say to use 5w-20 or 15w40 in the 2010 hemi. :4-looney:

#9 ·
i dont think so, because my truck have it and is a 2002 4.7, and my dads truck have it and is a 2010 5.7. im in the process of make a tread about this things, becasue here in mexico is not the same. im gonna take the pictures of the 2 stickers, and if someone tellme how to upload a picture i can show you how the owners manual say to use 5w-20 or 15w40 in the 2010 hemi.
The sticker is likely put on by the dealer or whatever other local seller had the vehicle. They probably put it on all their trucks. They probably have certain stickers they put on certain vehicles based on THEIR discretion. You should follow the engine cap, the owners manual, and other reliable manuals (like what I provided which is from amsoil's directory).

#10 ·
thanks again snrusnak, i understand what you say, but why the owners manual of a 2010 5.7 truck says to use 15w-40, thats why i gonna start the new tread.

In my truck im running 10w-30 semisyntetic autozone brand, just for a 500km to swich to M1 syntetic or royal purple. my owners manual truck says this: (tell me if you want a translation :LOL: ) Text Font Line

#12 ·
thats from the 2002 4.7 owner manual, and this is from the 2010 dodge ram 5.7 Text Font Line Parallel
you can see where says NOTA:, they says use a SAE5w20 or SAE15w40 and in the viscosity grafic syas 10w30 or 15w40 prefered, (the grafic from the left is for diesels engines)
Again thanks for your help, :smiley_thumbs_up:

#13 ·
hm I don't know why it says 15w40 there, that doesn' make sense compared to my manual here in the states and the directory I have. I would use 5w30 (or 10w30 if you insist) and not worry about it. The thinner oil IS recommended for that engine in that truck and will be an appropriate oil, and will get better mpg than the 40 weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.