DODGE RAM FORUM banner

saggy leaf springs

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  redneck107 
#1 ·
my leaf springs have a bow in them almost as if the truck has a load in it, but there is nothing in the back. Do I need new leaf springs? I realize I probably dont NEED them, there not hurting anything but will new leaf springs purk up my 2004?

#4 ·
you can get them rebuilt for about 500 bucks, where they basically make new springs for you, There are shops that just do spring rebuilds, i've got 2 in worcester, Ma. There must be one by you. Also they are suppoes to bend upwards, in a u shape. If you are not raked anymore, where the front is higher than the back, there is a problem. I personally have the rough ****ry easy lift, which is new shocks and blocks for the back. It also has blocks for the front too, which lift and level the truck. It's about 4 1/2 inch lift in the front and 2 inch lift in the rear. But if your springs in the rear are junk, its not gonna help and you need a rebuild. Or check on EBay to see if you can buy some complete aftermarket ones, i even think an add-a leaf wont help sagging springs.

#8 ·
it really is not the number of times that it was over loaded
it is more the number of times that the load was left on the vehicle for longer periods of time
on the farm if we had a loaded farm truck with sawdust, hay, or feed & couldn't unload it for some reason, we took most of the weight off the springs using jacks & left them there until we could unload it

#11 ·
re arching just means that they take your springs & heat them up to original shape & strength, then the steel is TEMPERed again
at this time they can add what ever is needed to make it like you want it

on an old pickup of mine, i drove to the shop, showed them what i needed or wanted, they wrote it down & gave me 2 quotes, 1 quote was if i took them off myself & took them in, the other was if they did it all themselves

#12 ·
I think gt's info is the smartest and the cheapest way to go about it, and add blocks to get the desired height. But stock dodge is already raked, with the back being 2 inches higher than the front, and if you went any higher, it might look funny. So if you re-arc them, then you should be back to stock height. Unless you want to go about leveling your truck, which is blocks in the back and front, or a full lift, which is about 1500 bucks, and ultimately, blocks in the back anyways. Just read my post about doing a leveling kit, well my expierence anyways http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=89264

#14 ·
I work at a spring shop I would suggest new packs and doing an add a leaf if they are sacking out this bad, or even getting heavier packs built I know I priced some out and just for stock packs it was going to be 500$ a pack.... but its your truck and good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.