DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Coil springs verses leaf springs

34K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a 2011 Hemi crew cab to use for towing a travel trailer. I have some concern about the coil springs verses leaf springs in so much that the coil spring setup would allow for greater trailer sway. It seems that leaf springs can’t move but in only one direction, up and down whereas coils can compress more to one side to the other, hence more potential for sway. Can any one enlighten me? I will be pulling about 8,000 lbs loaded with weight distribution hitch.

Thanks,

Rustymax

#30 ·
Articulation is worlds better, just like the Jeep guys found out when the TJ went to coils on all corners

#31 ·
Towing capacity question

I have a 2012 1500 ST with 5.7 Hemi and 3.55 ratio rear end. I plugged my VIN# into the Dodge RAM website and found my Max Payload is rated at 1,614 Lbs and my Max Towing is 8,750 lbs. I recently purchased this truck because its super clean, only 26K miles on the speedo, I really like the way it looks and its a great ride. It was an emotional buy. However, I also bought it because my wife and I want to pull around a toy hauler packed with our Harley, which weighs nearly 900 Lbs. We've found through our shopping for toy haulers (loaded with the accessories we like and the Harley) that it will likely weigh somewhere near 7,500 to 8,000 Lbs. So, I'm bumping up near the Max Towing capacity. Clearly I didn't do my towing research ahead of time. :doh: Should I be concerned about towing so much weight with my truck the way it's currently set-up? I also welcome any suggestions on the correct trailer hitch receiver with adequate load distribution and sway control. Lastly, I also need recommendations on what brand of trailer brake controller I should purchase. Thanks very much

#32 ·
You will likely be slightly over, which is not a problem for infrequent drives, but if you plan to do it with any frequency a 3/4 ton will be a better choice for you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.