DODGE RAM FORUM banner

6.4 cam in a 5.7

93K views 241 replies 50 participants last post by  whitesltquad 
#1 ·
was wondering if anyone has attempted this yet.....the new 4th gen hemi's share the same deck height as far as i can tell.....the 6.4 has some decent cam specs (close to what these crower cams spec at).....im really debating on trying this over the weekend...id just hate to have to put it all back together with the stock cam due to some unforseen clearance issue....according to the numbers ive been able to find i should have enough clearance....the reason for all this is im not to impressed with the results of the regrinds (crower,inertia,arrington,etc) for the price....i can get the 6.4 cam at the parts counter for 60 bucks!!!!!!
not sure about the springs but im pretty sure ill also need the pushrods...either way its all pretty cheap......so whats you guys opinion on all this?

#2 ·
I think the price you were quoted is wrong. Also, I belive you would need to change to the 6.1L valvesprings and pushrods.

#3 ·
I think the price you were quoted is wrong.
price is right....looked it up myself......unsure about springs/pushrods....i have a couple sets of 6.1 springs/pushrods......even have a set of pac racing 6.1 springs.....i was under the impression the 6.1 parts were a no go....

#5 ·
From another forum, intake opens(btdc) at 36, closes(atdc) at 250, and duration is 286. Exhaust opens(btdc) at 278, closes(atdc) at 10, and duration is 288. Valve overlap is 46. All degrees

6.1 intake opens(btdc) at 15, closes(atdc) at 268, and duration is 283. Exhaust opens(btdc) at 251, closes(atdc) at 35, and duration is 286. Valve overlap is 50. All degrees

#10 ·
wow so no ones heard of anyone whos attempted this....interesting!

really wish some else could be the pioneer here....lol

#127 ·
Well, I have the 6.4 cam and going to get the comp cams phaser and a set of 6.1 springs as well. Springs are good for .580 lift. The 6.4 apache heads may have longer valves and use different springs so the 6.1 springs should be the ones to use on the eagle heads as this has been proven to work just fine.
I already have a predator tuner so I will have to research getting a tune. Lifters,pushrods, should be all compatible. My 09 Grand Cherokee has most of the normal bolt on mods and I do have the srt8 headers and complete exhaust as well. The stock cam is very mild and really works well for an all around engine that can be used for towing. I bet this 6.4 cam will really wake this engine up big time and allow those big intake ports to do the job they were designed to do! I don't have any dyno numbers but I have run a 14.18 a 98mph in the 1/4 so that is my baseline..............

I plan on doing this cam swap in a couple weeks leaving the heads on. I need to fab up or get a on the head valve spring compressor to change the springs using compressed air. I will check back when I get this project going...... TBF

#11 ·
$60 ....:158:

Like in "6" - "0" ? :wow:that's it?

Not $6-0-0 ? ....how can they even make it for that?
nothing at the Dealership here is under a $100 so naturally I'm suspicious

a Cam is the next mod on my hit list list too, but want to do it right and do it once!
...and I think the current VVT cam offerings are playing it pretty safe/conservative.
I have yet to see any 4G put down any decent numbers at the track with a cam swap yet.

If I can save $540-$600 on the Cam and spend a little more on push rods and springs I would much rather do that.

There's got to be a catch. BV Heads required? Forged internals? :4-dontknow:

I'm so Glad I've put this off until last.

#12 ·
$60 is my cost so i guess in all fairness that is the catch.....ill look up list after while and post it up......

but its all irrelevant if it no one knows if it will work:4-dontknow:

#13 · (Edited)
Even at cost that seems low for a new part,
I was leaning toward the Arrington Billet cam, $600 from ShopHemi, not a fan of the re-grinds myself.

Hey, can do me a favor and look at what your cost is on an R/T 2600 stall torque converter?
MY local stealership is trying to tell me its available as a "Kit" for $700 (in Canada). :4-looney:
I laughed and ordered a fully custom "built to my mods" Billet 3K stall TC from Andre at Edge Racing Converters instead for $525.

Someone else said they can get a new R/T TC for around $200 and that sounded too low to be true.

#15 ·
was surprised to find that several converters are available.....i would need an rt vin to make sure i use the right part number....but from what ive seen youd be in the $500 range.....a couple remans are there too for even cheaper but once again.....vin number!

#34 ·
hehe, I'm pooped..i swapped a tranny in an 04 last saturday and another one into my 05 on friday...goin racing next sunday for my relaxation... btw, how far is Lawton from you? My son works there so hhhmmmm...

#18 ·
list is $492+tax for the R/T converter......

#20 ·
Good to know if I mess up my R/T converter with towing since it's only rated at 5,000 pounds

#21 ·
#25 ·
well honestly i was beginning to wus out.....i was speaking with eddie at southern hot rod today and ill probably be borrowing a corner in his shop within the next week or so and take a shot at it....at the same time i will be installing srt-8 jeep headers, custom y-pipe, muffler, next is a 125shot on a 3k window switch......and of course some tuning.....gonna do a nitrous tune too.....but i will def update the worth or damage caused by the 392vct cam!

#29 ·
blackramhemi: what do you have against regrinds?

I know little about vvt as I don't have it, but I understand it has to do with the lifters. Couldn't you swap out for regular hydraulic lifters and run whatever cam you want....? <<< may be stupid question...

#30 · (Edited)
i ran a regrind cam in my brute force and had some issues....noticed metal during oil changes and further inspection revealed the cam was flaking apart....swapped to a billet cam and never had an issue....and the issue as i understand it is the same with automotive cams.....

as for the second question yes you can run a regular cam but its more then mds you also lose vct.....you would also be swapping out the cam gear.....but im not even sure if anythings available to do this type of swap......this is what i was initially going to do but i was going to have a billet cam cut to my specs....

#33 ·
sorry guys no results yet....got set up to do the nitrous install first then this storm all weekend so nothing happened.....but when it gets in (if it works) ill have dyno results

#35 ·
update:

i ordered the parts today.....you need cam and springs.....everything else is the same part number (pushrods,retainers,locks,seals,rockers,thrust plate,phaser/gear,etc...) the cam was in my depot but the springs are national......the order will actually go in tomorrow (after 3:30) so ill have the cam thursday but the springs wont be here till next week.....for a good reference ill be hittin the dyno this sat at SHR dyno day and ill call that the before cause conditions will be similar....

#37 ·
#41 ·
the pushrods are the same part for the 6.4 and the 5.7.....not needed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.