DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Doors lock by themselves

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  LadderCo2 
#1 ·
I've got a problem that sometimes when I close the truck door I come back later to find out it is locked when I didn't lock it. I've got a bad habit of taking the key out of the ignition and putting it in the little cubby hole on the dash when I'm going to be near the truck (hooking up trailer, etc) with the engine off. I was fortunate to find this out before I was somewhere I couldn't get to another set of keys so I don't leave the truck running or shut off for that matter and close the door or get out of the vehicle anytime I don't take the keys with me. It's a pain in the ass. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how do you fix it. Thanks, Jim PS 2013 Express

#3 ·
I was out in my truck yesterday for a while, I don't know how long, but I felt like the doors may have locked on their own. It wasn't a problem since I always put the key back in my pocket if it isn't in the ignition, but I also have a habit of hitting the lock button on the driver's door panel right before I close the driver's door. In fact its almost a reflex. I'll see if I notice it happening again.

I could see it being a security feature i.e. the doors lock after xx minutes so that if you forget to lock your truck after you park it, it locks itself to guard against theft. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in.

#6 ·
I know that mine does not automatically lock the doors. I have to use the remote to lock the doors or press the lock button on the door.

The only time the doors will automatically lock is when I use the remote start function on the remote.

Greg

#8 ·
Interresting...I thought my doors locked on their own a time or two as well. Never when the fob was in the parked and shut down vehicle though.

Going the other way...There was one time when (I think) my truck thought the fob was still inside and she honked three quick honks and unlocked. My wife looked at me with a raised brow and said, "Well, that was wierd."
I shrugged and replied, "I guess she decided for us that we aren't done driving yet."
I re-locked with the button on the door handle and she behaved after that.

Are the machines becoming self-aware?!?! :SHOCKED:

#9 · (Edited)
Going the other way...There was one time when (I think) my truck thought the fob was still inside and she honked three quick honks and unlocked. My wife looked at me with a raised brow and said, "Well, that was wierd."
I shrugged and replied, "I guess she decided for us that we aren't done driving yet."
I re-locked with the button on the door handle and she behaved after that.

Are the machines becoming self-aware?!?! :SHOCKED:
Apparently I've not got that function where the key fob left inside the truck will prevent the doors from being locked. My son's new 2014 2500 doesn't do that either. Am I missing something here. My truck just has the smaller radio in it. Could that make a difference. Jim PS I JUST FOUND OUT THAT UNLESS YOU HAVE THE KEYLESS ENTRY SYSTEM YOU DON'T HAVE THAT FUNCTION. I'LL LEAVE THE POST UP ANYWAY BECAUSE SOMEONE MAY NEED THE INFORMATION

#11 ·
I leave the keys in my Express day and night and never locked on its own. I've left them both in the ignition and on the armrest. I would take yours to dealer something's not right.

#14 ·
I got back from vacation and my truck has started doing this. I turned off the truck, opened door, exited, and shut door...all doors then locked themselves. Later I had unlocked the truck, grabbed something, and sat near the truck at the campfire. I later opened the truck and the truck instantly locked after opening the LR door???? Then the wife says it locked her out the other day by auto locking the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.