DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cdnoilram's build thread v2.0

108K views 586 replies 64 participants last post by  Bruja Azul 
#1 ·
After the demise of my last truck at the hands of a Grand Cherokee that thought my truck was a better way to stop than using his own brakes, it's time to look to the future. In that theme, I would like to introduce my new truck... soon to be dubbed "Green Mamba"

It's an '09 1500 QCRB Sport. The important features from the factory are the 5.7L, 3.92 anti-spin diff, 4wd, and I had the dealership put 17s on it for my winter rubber. The guy that had it before me had added side steps, a nasty fuel door, tailgate extender, rear helper bags, a magnaflow 2-in/2-out muffler, and managed to put 100,000 kms on it. Why did I buy such high mileage? Because the entire drive train and suspension are going to be changed out in the next year, so why buy a low mileage one. The body is in OK shape, the expected dents and dings for a used vehicle, and one box side has been repainted, badly.

In true Cdnoilram fashion, I am going hog wild on the build and I was ordering parts even before I had possession of the vehicle :smiley_thumbs_up: Everything will happen in several phases over the next year, because I want to have the truck to where I'll be happy with it by next year. It would be sooner, but I'm also paying for my wedding that will be in June.

Phase 1 mods, already ordered/received:

Stance and handling
McGaughy's 2/4 drop kit, this will be cut for a 3/5 drop
Spohn adjustable panhard bar, adjustable rear upper and lower control arms
Hellwig rear sway bar
EBC sport rotors, green stuff pads (was going to do SSBC kit but would have to run 18s and I don't feel like paying extra for winter rubber)

A few appearance mods
APM ram-air hood
Spyder smoked LED tail lights
Anzo smoked LED 3rd brake
Street Scenes roll pan

Phase 1.5 makin' it look unique in my own special way: (expected ~March)

2-tone paint job by Airdrie Autowerks. A little snakeskin green ('10 ACR viper green) just for a bit of pop :wow:
Custom '13 sport projector headlights
Shave tailgate badge and antennae
Building a custom grille - this is going to be sweet (I'm keeping this under wraps for now, that's all I'm gonna say)
Spray-in bed liner

Phase 2 mods are all performance, have most from old truck:

Arrington P&P BV eagle heads (have)
ARH 1 3/4" primary LT headers (have)
MGH built 545/68rfe hybrid transmission (scheduled to be built)
ported 6.1L intake manifold (have)
85mm BBK throttle body (have)
Nitrous Outlet 85mm nitrous plate (have)
ZEX wet kit (have)

I am looking for a 370 or 392 forged stroker kit/block to handle the novi 1200 I have, but that might take a year with all the custom fab work I'll need to do to make it all work.

Phase 3, may happen before phase 2... audio:

Pioneer 2-DIN HU (have)
Front door panels to hold 6.5" components + 8" mid sub (have)
Modify center console and build box to hold a JL 13TW5 downfire or cheap out and just get a FOX box for 2x JL 10W6s
JL HD 900/5 + 600/4 (have)

That's the plan so far, there will be plenty of changes and tweaks as I make progress, but this is the first truck that I've actually got a plan and want to stick to it. It's warmed up nicely the last few days which means the snow is melting a bit and the truck is absolutely filthy... so no pics until tomorrow after I wash it.

See less See more
#508 ·
Kurtis,

I've just finished up the last page of this awesome thread and I must say.... WOW!

You've really created a unique, well sorted truck. I can't wait to see the next installment.

Congratulations!

#509 ·
Thanks guys. It's been a long haul to get to this point and with any kind of build like this there's always ups and downs. I've been in a down for the last while with issues popping up regularly and repeatedly. Hopefully with the garage and room to leave the truck in pieces for periods I'll be able to really get to the meat of my issues and take out the issues one by one and really get to stretch the legs of the truck.

#510 ·
Hey are you in town anytime soon Kurtis.

I'm in the market for a hard tonnue,and wanted to look at yours again.

I won't buy the Mopar cover again,"been there done that",and you couldn't give me another one of their covers.

Ran into Dan today,got all the news on youse guy's moves.
Something about a fridge in a basement scares him,I think he's hoping it works,lol:smileup:

#511 ·
I'll be in town starting the 21st. I don't know if I can recommend this tonneau cover, I'm not very impressed with the hinges in the front, in order to get it to sit flush when it's closed they have to be set low but then the cover doesn't open fully because the hinge doesn't lift up enough to clear the leading edge. The leading edge has started to chip away and it's wearing on the bed sides from the carpeting they installed running right to the edge where it rubs the paint or holds all the dirt/water that splashes it. Love the look though.

The fridge is working, he just doesn't want to help lift it out of the basement if we ever get rid of it.

#518 ·
LOL,i was wondering how a topper would look too.
I've seen a few now,and depending on truck and colour,i actually think they look good on some trucks.
I think on yours if you continued with roughly the same paint scheme,it would look good
When you're back in town,we'll have to get together,and negotiate:LOL:.

And i gotta show off the new toy,lol

#519 ·
Gonna have to take you for a ride in the new one.
Sum-bitching thing is quicker then i thought it'd be Kurtis.
Don't know how accurate a Trinity is on timing,but it's put up a couple back to back runs of 14.06 and 14.08 at 100mph.
And i chickened out at 232 ,it was still pulling,but my coopers are only rated to 185/115mph.
For a stock truck with nothing more then a catch can/180 thermostat and canned Diablo tune,it's impressive considering it's only a 3.21 geared truck

#520 ·
It'll be interesting to see how the 8-speed feels, I haven't had a ride in one yet. The reason you're still pulling at that speed is because of the 3.21s, the 3.92s would actually be topped out at that speed. I don't trust the Trinity's timing but it's a benchmark to use for comparing mods, just like a dyno.

#521 ·
I see new posts in here and get all excited then find out it is about Rick's truck :(. Just kidding Rick get your build thread started so I have another build to drool over. This is saved for Kurtis and his transformation

But in all seriousness really enjoy reading and hearing about your trucks and what you are doing with them!!

#522 · (Edited)
LMAO. Rick's coming over next week and I'm going to try and pawn some of my stuff off on him ... so I can afford more stuff, lol.

Lots coming up next week though now that I'm getting settled into the new garage. I put together my to-do list for the summer. I learned this trick from some of the customs shops I've been to that have multiple builds happening, just gives you a list of items you can check off, small or large, get them down and I've found I can tick the small things off when I have a little bit of time but not enough for a major mod.

• Install Hydrobooster
• Install front/rear braided brake lines
• Install caliper covers
• Purchase and Install standalone power steering fluid cooler
• Remove fog light HID ballasts and fog light projector housings
• Route cooling ducts to front brakes from fog light opening
• Check pressure piping for leaks
• Tap intake manifold throttle body holes to ¼”
• Make SS ¼” studs for throttle body assembly w/ SS flanged heads
• Fab covers for around intercooler
• Build false rear wall in engine bay
• Build cover for battery tray
• Fiberglass upper radiator cover – mould from existing plastic cover
• Solder across washer fluid sensor
• Troubleshoot W/M injection
• Fab new door speaker panels
• Seat covers for templates for upholstery work
• Install d/s 3G coil pack cover
• Get coolant hose diameters and order –AN look hose clamps
• Check clearances on 17” drag wheels and front runners
• Install LED boards and Projectors into headlights
• Install RGB LED lighting into engine bay, under dash, behind rear seats
• Open and paint tail lights black
• Install box LEDs with a switch by the tailgate
• Cover MLV behind back seat w/ box wrap
• Fiberglass new front fascia with brake ducts, cube LEDs, and lower valence mesh
• Powdercoat pressure piping black
• Paint and hydrodip PCM cover, fuse box cover
• Route 0ga cable from battery to starter
• Clean up cables and wiring under the d/s side of body
• Install new heater core hose plastic brackets
• Reroute and get custom hidden A/C hoses
• Install new Cometic head gaskets
• Get ported heads inspected for cracks and deck level
• Swap 1511 springs into ported heads and re-install.
• Remove broken bolt for Procharger bracket from head
• Remove broken header bolt
• Install Stage 8 locking bolts on headers
• Test block for coolant leak – get block testing kit
• Do compression test on all cylinders
• Pick up exhaust tubes to route exhaust gas out of garage
• Measure up and fab new transmission cooler hoses
• Purchase and install standalone transmission cooler
• A/C condenser relocation and swap
• Vintage Air OE compressor fittings and Proline hose/fittings
• Install remote oil filter and cooler kit

I just bough several special tools this month so not much for actual mod purchases but I have lots sitting in the garage right now. Need a few wash buckets so I can clean it up properly before I start running the new Cyclo polisher over the body.

#530 ·
Shawn you should see Kurtis's new place.
There should be some new progress soon on the truck,as he's got one hell'va sized garage to work in now.
The backyard is all deck right to the garage,so he doesn't even have any yardwork to side track him:LOL:
He's even got a paved back alley with lots of parking in the alley if need be.
There's enough overhead room to add a hoist down the road
Way to go Kurtis,i think you made a great purchase:smileup::smileup:

Told him he should post some new underhood shots,as the trucks cleaner then i've ever seen it,:LOL:

#531 ·
OK Rick, this should make you happy. I had to take the truck out during a shower/flurry so I snapped some pics of it all nice and clean just to remember what it can look like.

Here's the battery tray that's been turned into a place to keep my extras organized

Here's the KillerGlass installed

Got the Halos finally wired up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.