DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cdnoilram's build thread v2.0

108K views 586 replies 64 participants last post by  Bruja Azul 
#1 ·
After the demise of my last truck at the hands of a Grand Cherokee that thought my truck was a better way to stop than using his own brakes, it's time to look to the future. In that theme, I would like to introduce my new truck... soon to be dubbed "Green Mamba"

It's an '09 1500 QCRB Sport. The important features from the factory are the 5.7L, 3.92 anti-spin diff, 4wd, and I had the dealership put 17s on it for my winter rubber. The guy that had it before me had added side steps, a nasty fuel door, tailgate extender, rear helper bags, a magnaflow 2-in/2-out muffler, and managed to put 100,000 kms on it. Why did I buy such high mileage? Because the entire drive train and suspension are going to be changed out in the next year, so why buy a low mileage one. The body is in OK shape, the expected dents and dings for a used vehicle, and one box side has been repainted, badly.

In true Cdnoilram fashion, I am going hog wild on the build and I was ordering parts even before I had possession of the vehicle :smiley_thumbs_up: Everything will happen in several phases over the next year, because I want to have the truck to where I'll be happy with it by next year. It would be sooner, but I'm also paying for my wedding that will be in June.

Phase 1 mods, already ordered/received:

Stance and handling
McGaughy's 2/4 drop kit, this will be cut for a 3/5 drop
Spohn adjustable panhard bar, adjustable rear upper and lower control arms
Hellwig rear sway bar
EBC sport rotors, green stuff pads (was going to do SSBC kit but would have to run 18s and I don't feel like paying extra for winter rubber)

A few appearance mods
APM ram-air hood
Spyder smoked LED tail lights
Anzo smoked LED 3rd brake
Street Scenes roll pan

Phase 1.5 makin' it look unique in my own special way: (expected ~March)

2-tone paint job by Airdrie Autowerks. A little snakeskin green ('10 ACR viper green) just for a bit of pop :wow:
Custom '13 sport projector headlights
Shave tailgate badge and antennae
Building a custom grille - this is going to be sweet (I'm keeping this under wraps for now, that's all I'm gonna say)
Spray-in bed liner

Phase 2 mods are all performance, have most from old truck:

Arrington P&P BV eagle heads (have)
ARH 1 3/4" primary LT headers (have)
MGH built 545/68rfe hybrid transmission (scheduled to be built)
ported 6.1L intake manifold (have)
85mm BBK throttle body (have)
Nitrous Outlet 85mm nitrous plate (have)
ZEX wet kit (have)

I am looking for a 370 or 392 forged stroker kit/block to handle the novi 1200 I have, but that might take a year with all the custom fab work I'll need to do to make it all work.

Phase 3, may happen before phase 2... audio:

Pioneer 2-DIN HU (have)
Front door panels to hold 6.5" components + 8" mid sub (have)
Modify center console and build box to hold a JL 13TW5 downfire or cheap out and just get a FOX box for 2x JL 10W6s
JL HD 900/5 + 600/4 (have)

That's the plan so far, there will be plenty of changes and tweaks as I make progress, but this is the first truck that I've actually got a plan and want to stick to it. It's warmed up nicely the last few days which means the snow is melting a bit and the truck is absolutely filthy... so no pics until tomorrow after I wash it.

See less See more
#4 ·
Definitely look forward to watching this build Kurtis! :smileup:

- Cajun

#5 ·
Looking forward to this! Your last build was amazing! :)

#8 ·
Green Mamba! Green! :wow: Really!

As in this green?

I look forward to watching this build progress, although it may leave me a bit 'green' with envy. ;)

#9 ·
Brad... you should realize that I love vibrant colors on vehicles. I biggest travesty I see is all vehicles being some drab and boring color. The only color that has ever jumped out at me in the Ram line was the late 90s electric blue and the Daytona's burnt orange. Everything else is just boring.

That would be the green I'm looking at :smileup: I wanted something like sublime green but with pearl/metallic and snakeskin is the closest I could find without getting too olive like Green With Envy. I did look at some of the HoK colors and a few others but my painter can make snakeskin himself as opposed to ordering a bunch of stuff directly from HoK.

#15 ·
When I'm down in February we will have to meet up, look forward to watching this build!

#18 ·
First, I pick the girl on your right, your friend or not I don't care. If it's your daughter... well then Dad we're going to be spending a lot more time together, thank god we have things in common like modding and beer :D But I must detest your "all other colors are boring" though sir... no no no, there's no changing your mind and saying "well okay I forgot about that color and/or I like your truck".

It's cool...

I have the ugly duckling in the family. But by god I will make sure that thing is shined up and GLEAMING everyday so if there's just an off chance that I might stop by to visit, or your running down to the border to grab parts and I'm already there waiting for goodies you'll get a sharp sun beam right in your eyes bouncing off my bright blue boring paint job. It haunts you and eventually you'll be driving down the street past a McDonald's and BOOM there it is again and you'll just flip your lid going "Dammit there it is again!! Typical fricken American with his shined up Chrome and bright Blue boring paint at a damn McFatty's!! Everywhere I go it's like a screwed up version of where's Waldo where it's damn easy to find him :SHOCKED:

But really I'm looking forward to the build of your new truck, and thank you Shawn for pointing me in the right direction :smileup:

#23 ·
The only thing wrong with all that is one word... chrome. I can't stand that stuff, too much work to keep it looking good. Plus, pretty much every truck out this way is black or blue with every conceivable part that can be chromed, done to the tits.

If this build is anything like the last one (and I know it will be), it's going to be an adventure.
Oh, don't you know it sir :smileup:

Can't wait to see this!

(Can you PWEASEEEE get me a part number off those 2013 17" wheels? I can't find one anywhere and you're the first I've seen to actually own a set).
I don't know the part number. Part of my deal for the truck was they take the 20s off and put 17s on it. They just happened to pull them off of a '13. They thought I was crazy taking the 20s off because everyone out here wants the 20s, but having the 22s from the old truck and wanting to keep my $1800 worth of snow/ice tires it just made sense.

#21 ·
Alright! First update now that I actually HAVE some mods to put on the truck. I had the pleasure of heading down to the border today to pick up my shipment of the first round of mods :smileup: :smileup: Unfortunately my hood hadn't shown up yet so I'll have to drive down again to get that, of course it arrives in one more day, which happens to be the day I fly back to work. c'est la vie.

One interesting thing is I ordered the McGaughy's 2/4 spring lowering kit, while that kit did come complete, I was also sent a RH drop spindle as well... I wonder if I can get them to ship me the LH one then I'll have the option to go lower if I ever decide to.

But, here is the piece de resistance! If I ever get bored of calling it the green mamba I can always start calling it the angry goat. Say hello to my new grille badge, this thing is 14" across and exceptionally well painted. I will be building a custom deep mouth grille and this bad boy will be sitting front and center.

#24 ·
Hahaa I see what your saying, I hate it when people do the over the top chrome with the pillars and the fuel door and tailgate handle, chrome visors it's very easy to make it tacky. Maybe that's why there's no DWB trucks in the states, they kept them all in Canada lol

That grill is going to look bad ass with the angry goat in there. You should bring it down to Gatty next year :D

#28 ·
Alright, no photos this round since there's nothing to show. I've been contacting vendors left right and center to get the parts I want for more of this build. MGH has agreed to build me a tranny which I'll be fine tuning this summer before the major engine build in the fall.

I contacted billet tech about getting some parts done in a green anodized finish, they DON'T do green, however they steered me towards speedlogix who buys BT stuff and does their own anodizing and engraving, and they do green! I have placed an order with them for a bunch of parts in a "near" green with envy finish that should look good with the SSG.

Also got a hold of AAC for halos for the '13 projectors and they say they have something that will fit nicely. So as soon as I hear back there will be an order placed for the rings and a few other additional lighting needs.

A set of HIR2 55w hids will be coming from retro solutions shortly because I want to get these headlights done ASAP. I even bought some SSG paint to play around with inside the housings.

And lastly, ordered a diy hydro graphics kit to try some small stuff and get a feel for working with it before I do a bunch of stuff with snakeskin graphics. Just need to see how well colors come through the prints I ordered.

That's all for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.