DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Silver's Plasti-Dip

15K views 96 replies 10 participants last post by  RogerRamJet 
#1 ·
Silver's plasti-dip is a work in progress :)
Here's progress so far

The background changed because I had to back Silver into the Garage-- started raining, and he doesn't fit all the way into the Garage...

I did the wheel wells like that because of the rust bubbling through. Don't have pictures, but I also sanded down (and treated the rust bubbles on the drivers side, found out some @sshat before me decided to use expanding foam under the rust (through the holes in the sides of the bed), then repaint it, which only worsened the rust. After I fixed that and plasti-dipped, I took the bedliner out (it was the wrong size anyway) and figured out why they put it in in the first place. There's some small rust holes in it. They also left me some gifts!

Yes, the knife and spoon were under the bedliner. :doh:

Hope to be doing more soon... but now I have to accept the fact that I need to study for finals.

Ah well!

Go Dodge!

See less See more
Reactions: HeartZ
#2 ·
Gives Silver a whole new look. Nice job, Kelsey! You gonna do the front wheel fenders?

Sharpen that knife up and get the rust off and you'll have a nice little pocket knife.

#3 ·
Gives Silver a whole new look. Nice job, Kelsey! You gonna do the front wheel fenders?

Sharpen that knife up and get the rust off and you'll have a nice little pocket knife.
Thanks Roger!

Yeah, I'm not at all done. I'm gonna do a two tone thing on the bottom as well as the front fenders. (I know, I wow everyone with my technical terminology)

I have 6 full cans of black, as well as one that's about 3/4's full. I grabbed a couple cans of red too.

I also found that my- Menard's has the blaze colors, as well as black, white, smoke, clear and red. The classic colors are also $5.96, a dollar cheaper than Wal-Mart, which I was ridiculously excited about!

I'll be sure to post more pictures. Once it warms up a little more, I'm heading out today. (it's like 45 degrees right now... little cold for my taste)

And I'll definitely be cleaning that knife up. I collect pocket knives. I can't even begin to count them all. Heh.

Now we shall see what else I can do with Plasti-Dip. :D

#11 ·
Hey thanks! I have to agree with you there. I just had an awesome idea for a design on the hood, worried it might be a little much, but then again... it's Plasti-dip. If I end up not liking it, I can take it off! :)

That's a sweet, cheap visual mod. I like the red stripes. Thought about doing stripes on mine but I can't decide if I want to go black or anthrocite. I'm doing the wheels anthrocite and I'll decide on the stripe colors if the badges look better black or anthrocite. That's the good thing about plasti dip, it's easy to play with and cheap! Are you doing the bumpers too?
I played around with that color concept too~ was thinking of doing a "two tone Laramie" style plasti-dip job with the anthracite grey.. Might just do it with the black since I'd have to order the grey. The bumpers... I'm not sure. Maybe the rear... but since my front bumper was attacked and mauled by a hitch (thanks to a BMW cutting off the guy in front of me...) I'm not sure I want to draw that kind of attention to it. :4-dontknow:

#10 ·
That's a sweet, cheap visual mod. I like the red stripes. Thought about doing stripes on mine but I can't decide if I want to go black or anthrocite. I'm doing the wheels anthrocite and I'll decide on the stripe colors if the badges look better black or anthrocite. That's the good thing about plasti dip, it's easy to play with and cheap! Are you doing the bumpers too?

#12 ·
Update!!

Right now I'm waiting for the heat to die down, 90 degrees came way to fast way too suddenly, considering a couple of days ago we had the heat on to keep the house around 66 degrees... So once it simmers down, or maybe tomorrow... I'll be doing more. Till then, this is what I have done. Fixed up some more rust spots on the rear of the bed (That tailgate is next up), and finished the drivers side fender job. :D

#24 · (Edited)
A rant and an update

Sorry guys, just need to have a little rant to let off some major steam.

Took a friend of mine that had just returned home from college to the drive-in, met another friend, had a girls night out at the movies.

I got a little protective of my Silver because some a-hole in a big, lifted Ford almost hit him. :box:

Then I heard some guy say, "Why are you even upset, babe, that's obviously not your truck!"

What, a girl can't drive a truck with some custom sh!t on it now?
Are the people around here so sexist that they think since it's a nice truck, it doesn't belong to a girl? :box2:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I realize all you guys (that have responded) are guys, but still! I know well enough that you wouldn't do that! It pissed me off so badly I almost got out of the truck to find him and give him a piece of my mind, but fighting at the drive-in is one of the fastest ways to get kicked out.

Now that I've recuperated from getting home at like 2 am, I'm heading out to wash the truck that 'obviously isn't mine' and maybe do some Plasti-dip work on him.

I'll keep you posted, and sorry for the rant..

#25 ·
A-holes like that are trying to compensate for something, and I dont mean compensating for a Ford eithor. Dont let them get to you. Girls driving custom trucks is the best thing since sliced bread for most men. Its like "holy hell an actual real common interest?!?@?@?".. Im still working on teaching my girlfriend abouts engines and differences between gas and diesel :(.. its a long road, but she is finally caving in and willing to learn. Now if I could get her in a truck and she would actually customize it, I would be set for life.

But ya, dont let the losers out there get to you. No matter male or female, there is always going to be haters. I do understand the bs sexism that went along with your case, but just remember..your rolling in a sweet silver ram while they cruise in shitboxes.

Let the poor suckers hate and just roll on with a smile, because its your truck and no matter what words they say, it wont change the fact that you got a custom truck that you are proud to call your own :D

#27 ·
Hey Brandon, thanks. Seriously. :)
Wish the attitude was more 'holy hell a common interest!' and less 'what the hell is wrong with this oil smeared chick?!' around here! :stupidpeople:

That ^^^^^ goes double for me, Little Lady!
Well said, Brandon. :appl:
Thanks Roger. :)

Sorry guys. I sorta blew a fuse because I'm almost always dealing with local guys my age wondering 'why the hell' I'm want to know how my truck works and how to fix it and why I'm not a 'normal girl'. Having their BS shoved in my face in that way really pissed me off. :nunu: Ah well. I suppose haters gonna hate, huh? :cool:

Anyway! Silver's been put on hold and I'm going to be doing some on the '06 Hemi for mom as a mothers day gift.

(guess this is sort of a before on both of them, huh?)

Wash, clay, polish& wax, interior cleaned and plasti-diping on whatever she wants done. :smileup:

We'll see what the weather brings me tomorrow. Hopefully a nice sunny day! :D
Then again... I'm in Indiana. If you don't like the weather, wait about 10 minutes. It'll change. :LOL:

Thanks so much you guys & Go Dodge!

#28 ·
Hey Brandon, thanks. Seriously. :)
Wish the attitude was more 'holy hell a common interest!' and less 'what the hell is wrong with this oil smeared chick?!' around here! :stupidpeople:

Thanks Roger. :)

Sorry guys. I sorta blew a fuse because I'm almost always dealing with local guys my age wondering 'why the hell' I'm want to know how my truck works and how to fix it and why I'm not a 'normal girl'. Having their BS shoved in my face in that way really pissed me off. :nunu: Ah well. I suppose haters gonna hate, huh? :cool:

Anyway! Silver's been put on hold and I'm going to be doing some on the '06 Hemi for mom as a mothers day gift.

(guess this is sort of a before on both of them, huh?)

Wash, clay, polish& wax, interior cleaned and plasti-diping on whatever she wants done. :smileup:

We'll see what the weather brings me tomorrow. Hopefully a nice sunny day! :D
Then again... I'm in Indiana. If you don't like the weather, wait about 10 minutes. It'll change. :LOL:

Thanks so much you guys & Go Dodge!
People are just ass clowns who live in the ancient times still. Some men are just weak and pathetic and thrive off having to know more then a female to feel manly because they lack "real manliness". Over Half of them only know how to change oil and wiper blades too :LOL: ..hell all the more power to you for breaking the stereotype and being the girl turning the wrench and working on your truck:smileup:

#30 ·
AAALLLLSSSSSSOOOOOOO, What do you think?

This is what I did today. :D (The Hemi isn't home, so no work on the white Ram today. :( )

Yeah, just one door so far..

But. Here's the thing. One side (the side that's done) has the 1500 closest to the wheel, while the other has "RAM" closest to the wheel.

Should I make it so the letters/numbers are the same -- red RAM, black 1500--
or should I keep the colors the same-- red furthest from the wheel, and black closest?

I mean, it's not gonna be that hard to change either way.
Just curious to see what you guys think.

I'm not even completely sure I like the red ON the RAM....
Though I think it does stick out more now than when it was chrome. :4-dontknow:
Ah well. Just curious.

Thanks!

#35 ·
I think the red looks great! It brings out the stripes and adds a lot to the whole package. Like the R/T badge..it's red and black..looks good! You need to swap the tree grabber for a shorty antennae!

And that guy was just mad because he probably had a ford that looked like every other ford out there where as you have a unique, better looking Ram!! Way to go!

If it was me, I'd spray some graffiti on your friends trucks that say it's not removable :LOL: Nothing better a harmless prank lol

#37 ·
Just a quick update, wheeeee more pictures! :woohoo:
I'm sure someone is going to go crazy with my (near pointless) picture updates!

Yeah, not the same truck, but I'll start a new thread for the Hemi when I actually start working on it more....

Just the fuel door, nothing fancy (YET)

Still not done with Silver yet though. Not sure what I'm gonna tackle next though.... :thk:

#38 ·
Just a quick update, wheeeee more pictures! :woohoo:
I'm sure someone is going to go crazy with my (near pointless) picture updates!

:repplus:

Yeah, not the same truck, but I'll start a new thread for the Hemi when I actually start working on it more....

Just the fuel door, nothing fancy (YET)

Still not done with Silver yet though. Not sure what I'm gonna tackle next though.... :thk:

You keep posting them nowhere-near-pointless pics. I'm enjoying your creativity.
Love your new signature!

#45 ·
Update..

Okay, so not all of this is plasti-dip updating. Just sort of a truck update...
Was messing with the tailgate, which had some bubbling paint.

There wasn't anything under the paint, so a friend helped me take the tailgate off (so much easier than I thought!) so I can sand down the rust and blah blah blah, fix it.

Then of course I was looking at the bed, and realized that even though it'd been power washed, it was filthy. So... I attacked it with dawn dish soap, meguiar's deep crystal car wash and a no scratch dish sponge (not the best but it was... bad.) Looks a ton better now. (took this photo to show how much grime was coming off...)

Scrubbed some rust spots off of the chrome bumper and tried to get used to Silver's look minus a tail gate...

After that, I peeled off, the rear driver's side fender plasti-dip to work on the rust beneath it. (Left some of the dip on because it was in perfect shape, why waste it?)
Crappy picture, but here it is, few days later (earlier today), ready for masking and Dip.

I went to town with the plasti-dip, I know the drill. Used up the end of one can, and then DISASTER struck.
Not catastrophic or anything, but enough to make me curse and want to yell (which I eventually did when I discovered the depth of the disaster)...

Something was wrong with the new can of dip. It came out... fuzzy. Honestly, it looked like it had fur, and the color was off... everything was wrong with it.

Realizing I couldn't mask the horrid texture, I decided to peel and redo.
By that point I already had about 5-6 coats applied, depending on the area, more where it overlapped with the old Dip.

But of course it wasn't that simple.

It wouldn't peel. It rubbed off, making eraser like shavings in most areas. It did peel in others... but it took up the spraypaint too. In other places, it wouldn't come up at all. It reacted with the masking tape somehow too... (took a lot of effort to get it off where it'd been sprayed with the dip)

A couple hours, some real frustration, some elbow grease, (a partial breakdown,) WD-40 (it liquefies plastidip...), as well as goo gone to get rid of the faulty dip and the scraps of spray paint, I'm back to square one.

I clayed &waxed that side of the bed (plasti-fur particles got EVERYWHERE despite newspapering...) and washed the tires and wheels as a way to calm down, but it got dark, so no good pictures for that.

Really bummed out about this, and wish that I could do something about that mutated can of Dip :nunu:
Will bring it back, but doubt I'll get very far. Have some work cut out for me I guess.

I'll keep updating as more happens..

#47 ·
Maybe I'll be able to look at it that way tomorrow. :LOL:

I had to have some pouting time, Rog. :p
I'll get over it quick enough though, fix Silver up again, then laugh at this experience.
Probably need to break down and get some bondo... hmm..
I'll figure it out! :smileup:

#49 ·
I can see where hitches could develop, but the biggest issues I had before this was ending up somehow spraying myself in the face or arms, leaning on the not-quite-dried dip and leaving the pattern of my shirt, or something like that. I did have one instance where the dip sprayed straight up rather than away from the can like normal... Ah well. Like you said, the end result is most definitely worth it.

Goodness. I'll be testing it much more thoroughly before applying next time, believe me! :doh:

Thanks for the responses! :)

#50 ·
KelseytheDodgeGirl said:
I had to have some pouting time, Rog.
Wasn't trying to take away from your pout, Kelsey. Heavens no! I'm an only child so I know how important the pout is. Works great with my dogs, not so much with my wife. So by all means pout away, Little Lady. And, if you need it, my cyber shoulder reaches all the way to northern Indiana.

#51 · (Edited)
Wasn't trying to take away from your pout, Kelsey. Heavens no! I'm an only child so I know how important the pout is. Works great with my dogs, not so much with my wife. So by all means pout away, Little Lady. And, if you need it, my cyber shoulder reaches all the way to northern Indiana.
Haha, thanks Rog!
Decided to quit moping, get off my arse and fix it yesterday! Pics coming :smileup:

#52 ·
Update!

Fixed the driver rear fender, went over the dip on the door badge and added spears.

I'm also doing a little experiment with interior and plasti-dip. I like the interior and everything, it's just it's so plain. So... We'll see how it holds up!

Not sure if there's gonna be anything else done to Silver for now, was pondering something with the grille or the bumper(s), maybe some red on the hood...
Not sure though.

Now if I could just figure out how to make a dust and pollen repellent for the exterior too... I'm tired of a green-sheen on my trucks! :smiledown:

Anyway, that's the latest progress! :D

#54 ·
I'll definitely keep you posted, Roger! :smileup:

The one 'issue' I had while applying was getting the tape to adhere to the interior even after I'd cleaned it.
Maybe an Isopropyl alcohol/water bath would help.
(Didn't want to use that on it~ there was already a crack in the dash, don't want to dry the material out even more.)

It peeled off the prongs that hold that insert in the door easily. I've heard that it's harder, but not impossible to remove on textured surfaces. However, seeing as it's only been a full day, I can't say with any degree of certainty what will happen.

It's currently sunny and about 90 degrees, so it's safe to say that that dip is definitely going to be baked.

#58 ·
And..

I'm Baaack...

Well, I'm sure you guys know what the grille looks like regularly, so no before pics. I'll get some better whole truck pics when it's not dark out. :smileup:

I have this bad habit of starting too late and ending up working in the dark with the help of the Hemi's headlights. :i_rolleyes:

Blacked out the crosshairs or whatever you want to call them, then made the Ram head red. :smileup:

I also notice that I've left a windshield wiper box on the hood. Whoops.

#61 · (Edited)
Thanks so much! Really eager to see it in the daylight! :D

Kinda wondering what in the wide wild world of sports you're doing up at this bewitching hour. Then I remembered it's Friday and you're outta school, so why shouldn't you be out dipping Silver? Instead of, say, honeyfuggling with some young stud? But then I remembered... doing a lot of remembering tonight - beer does that for me... that all the doods up there are neomaxinzoondweebies. So, you're probably better off with Silver.

Anyway, looks great, Kelsey! Very nicely done.
:57: I laughed a little too much at that, Roger. :LOL: I generally agree, Silver's much more loyal. Ha.
(good grief how is it 2 am?!)

AAAAAnyway!!!
Thanks a bunch you guys!

#60 ·
Kinda wondering what in the wide wild world of sports you're doing up at this bewitching hour. Then I remembered it's Friday and you're outta school, so why shouldn't you be out dipping Silver? Instead of, say, honeyfuggling with some young stud? But then I remembered... doing a lot of remembering tonight - beer does that for me... that all the doods up there are neomaxinzoondweebies. So, you're probably better off with Silver.

Anyway, looks great, Kelsey! Very nicely done.

#64 ·
Photoshoot!

Here's what Silver looks like in the sunshine! I love the way the grille looks, especially how the Ram head pops now!

I want to go out to the state park (good thing about living where I do, there's a state park about 12 minutes away) and do some 'beauty shots' :D

I added the 'watermark' because I figure may as well 'advertise' the Z! :smileup:

#67 ·
Great shot, Kelsey!
Thanks bunches guys! :D
Now... now to tackle that bumper.
And-maybe-submit-my-resume-to a local dealership (they want a computer-literate salesman, eager to sell Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep (and some Chevy/ buick depending on which branch I get in). Maybe. I think I could enjoy that.

Anyway, thanks a ton guys. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.