DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anyone done XPEL headlight film on a 4th Gen 1500?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
After having done quite a bit of 3M film on my truck, I'm thinking about ordering the XPEL headlight film protection pre-cut kit. However, I see that my headlight lenses have a protruding reflector or light refractor (not sure what you'd call it) on the face of the lens. Like I said, having done some film I know this would present a PITA if the film didn't have some kind of cut out for it.

Anyone done this? How did it go?

#3 ·
I put LaminX on my fogs and like it. If you were worried about that ridge I'd get the thinner vinyl and have a heat gun. That should make things work out. If they went through the trouble of measuring and precutting for our headlights I would think that they would make sure it fits without issues but that is wishful thinking sometimes. lol. Good luck

#4 ·
I get all of my film products from xpel and I do have film on my 4th gen headlights but I use bulk roll and cut it myself. I stopped the film parallel at the base of that bump. Maybe Ill try to get my cuts to show in a picture but, IIRC, I used 3 pieces on each lens with the cuts matched at the natural line in the headlight design. You would have to look very closely to see the seems.

#7 ·
#10 ·
I've never used a heat gun because you have to be extremely careful with them. Using my wifes hair dryer is much safer and very effective..... as long as she doesn't catch me using it, then Im Fugged regardless. :D

#12 ·
I have a roll of the xpel brand 3" wide stuff. I got it on amazon, it is called "door sill" protectant or something like that. I used it on the paint above the tailgate handle as I was getting scratches there when closing the tailgate. I also used it on my buell where the throttle and clutch cables rub the front fairing bracket. I had to make a couple 90 degree bends in two directions(not sure if that makes sense.....hard to explain) and used my heat gun(VERY carefully) and was amazed that it actually contoured to fit and stuck. I did it on two areas and they both stuck, then one eventually peeled up. I redid that side and now both seem to be permanent. I think I was probably moving it around too much while it was drying and that's why the one peeled up. Good stuff though. I'd recommend it. It is the only brand I've used so not much of a comparison though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.