DODGE RAM FORUM banner

CAI Evaluation

316K views 644 replies 235 participants last post by  guy65 
#1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of posts and questions about CAI's, so I thought I'd do a little checking and do some comparisons. Everything is based on my Ram, 2010 with the Hemi. I'm sure there are other CAI's out there but these are the more common ones.

BFI $329.00 not enclosed and not out in the cold air.
K&N $322.00 partially enclosed and not in the cold air.
Airaid $365.00 partially enclosed and uses some cold air from fender connection, would use full cold air if it was fully enclosed

AFE Stage 1 $336.00 fully enclosed and uses cold air from the fender connection.
Volant $405.00 fully enclosed but has hole in bottom for scoop attachment which would be easy to block. Uses outside air connection on fender.

For my money were I to buy a CAI, I'd go for the fully enclosed CAI's hands down. CAI means "Cold" Air Intake. In my mind any CAI that does not get its air from outside the engine compartment is not a true CAI.

#311 ·
Just ordered the Volant from Amazon for $299, plus $4 for over night shipping (God I love prime..).

I just spent most of my morning reading through this thread lol.. worth it though. The Varam sold me. I was thinking about fabbing something up using an Airaid UBI, but I can wait a few weeks.. I should have my intake tomorrow though. Even 1-2 MPG is worth it for me, I drive 2,000 miles a month highway :/

#312 ·
I just picked up my volant as well. I cant wait to install it but I am skeptical now as a coworker told me that my engine will not get warm and the filter will ice up in the winter. I kind of think he fed me some BS but he honestly seems to believe it. He has two throttle body spacers on his mustang haha. Anyways I'm still going to put it on after work I'm just curious if anyone takes theirs off in the winter. Thanks

#313 ·
I just picked up my volant as well. I cant wait to install it but I am skeptical now as a coworker told me that my engine will not get warm and the filter will ice up in the winter. I kind of think he fed me some BS but he honestly seems to believe it. He has two throttle body spacers on his mustang haha. Anyways I'm still going to put it on after work I'm just curious if anyone takes theirs off in the winter. Thanks
LOL sounds like BS. In order for the filter to ice up it would first have to be wet....so just don't dunk your truck in a lake and you should be good :). You won't have any issues with the engine not getting warm due to a intake....where do people get this stuff? Sure there can be issues with cold weather, but stock intake or aftermarket you'll have the same fight. That guy is a genius, I'm going to put 10 TB spacers on my truck tonight, they each give 5 hp, so that's 50 hp gain!!!

#314 ·
LOL sounds like BS. In order for the filter to ice up it would first have to be wet....so just don't dunk your truck in a lake and you should be good :). You won't have any issues with the engine not getting warm due to a intake....where do people get this stuff? Sure there can be issues with cold weather, but stock intake or aftermarket you'll have the same fight. That guy is a genius, I'm going to put 10 TB spacers on my truck tonight, they each give 5 hp, so that's 50 hp gain!!!

hahahaha be sure to post pics up Sean!

#315 ·
lol...that's a good one...everyone who's modded with cai's has never complained of it freezin over...even guys I know in Alaska!!

I used a tb spacer and it did enhance performance...but I added a lil sumthin sumthin to it..

#317 ·
you know...that's an idea i haven't thought of...i was considering options to dual stage my nitrous, I upgraded to a nitrous plate (looks like a fancy tb spacer), now, if I stacked the tb spacer pictured above on top of it..I can do a form of progressive setup and spray throughout my runs...

#319 ·
Read this whole damn thread! -_-

And all ive really got is a headache from looking at the computer screen :LOL:

One question about the Volant, the one for my truck doesnt look like it gets rid of the hemi hat...why is this? Or is there a version that does?

And this thread has also made me decide that I'm just going to search really hard for a Ramhammer intake.

And also, I really like how the AFE Stage 2 CX (notice the "CX") intake goes down to nearly behind the grill. Anyone had any problems with it? And does anyone know what size the tubing is on it? Because whatever intake I get, I dont want the tubing smaller then the TB diameter.

#320 ·

And also, I really like how the AFE Stage 2 CX (notice the "CX") intake goes down to nearly behind the grill. Anyone had any problems with it? And does anyone know what size the tubing is on it? Because whatever intake I get, I dont want the tubing smaller then the TB diameter.
I had that AFE on my 05, had no problems with it. I don't know what size the tube was but I do know it wasn't smaller than my TB.

#332 ·
Well after reading all of this (damn 34 pages worth) I now know my choice to get a Volant is good to go lol. Just waiting for that pesky thing called a paycheck to come through so I can order it along with my AmericanThunder exhaust :smileup: . Also just an idea for the lower Ram Air addition for the Volant. Some have been saying that it could allow stuff to enter through the tube and up into the intake. I don't have fog lights so my ports are covered by a billet cover. But to also aid in allowing anything to potentially enter through the tube couldn't you put a piece of mesh inside (or over) the entrance to act as a filter :4-dontknow: . I mean if all you are doing is highway driving then I wouldn't worry about it, but for those who take back roads then I think that would ease some worry about debris. Me personally I am just going to let it as it is, just thought that might be an idea for some who are worried about it who might not have thought bout it. :smileup:

#333 ·
Volant CAI Power Loss With Diablo Sport Tune

Hey all, late to this conversation, but here goes. I have a 2007 Ram 2500 5.7, 70,000 miles. I am running a 91 octane tune from a Diablo Sport Tuner. I just installed a Volant PowerCore Cold Air Intake, btw, which is not a great product, fabrication wise, but that's another story. Prior to installing the CAI the truck ran great, nice pick up, a real improvement over stock. So, after reading over these topics, decided on the Volant, plus i got it local for a great price (new). So, now that it is installed, 3 days now, I have lost the off the line jump & general acceleration that I was getting before. Any suggestions?? I checked, then re-checked the install, all is tight with no air leaks. :4-dontknow:
Cheers,
Stu

#334 ·
drive it for about a hundred miles an let the pcm adjust...it will almost happen an it will surprise you..it did for me after some miles..

#335 ·
I am so on the fence...Vararam or Volant!

I will flip a coin I guess. They are both a great addition to whatever set up one goes with.

Does anyone possibly have a link that shows the Volant sold along with the fender extension ram air contraption thingy?

#336 ·
Volant hasn't made a ram air extension for the 4th gens yet but you can add a scoop to your bumper pretty easily. What kind of filter does the Vararam use? The PoweCore filter is far superior to just about anything else out there from a filtration standpoint but the Vararam looks to be a better ram air design.

Good luck with the choice.

#337 ·
Wow, it took me Two days to read this thread! I guess after all this, it's either a Volant or nothing. And the volant will be farther down the wish list.

#338 · (Edited)
I got the AFE stage 2,dry fitter, put it In about a week ago and I don't like it.. I love it. Awesome look and fitment, great power gain on the butt dyno, smoother shifts and better throttle response. Oh and it sounds amazing at 2500 plus rpm's , couldn't be happier. who knows maybe I'm just easily pleased..
OH and if I drive it like a wussy I've seen 1.0 - 2.5 mpg increase over the stock grandma driving..

#340 ·
Wow, lots of good info and opinions here, democracy at work!!

I've had K&Ns on every vehicle I've ever owned and always been pleased. For the price and power ($/Power gain) you can't beat the K&N CAI. Mine arrived in the mail today, can't wait to get home to install it then hit the skinny pedal!!

#341 ·
I have the Volant with the turbo filter element. Painted the housing Hemi orange. I definitely can heard the throddle body open up when I am on the gas

#345 ·
I have the MOPAR CAI on my 2010 RAM 5.7 and I love it. The MOPAR filter looks to be bigger than most all the other filters I have seen so far. It might not be, but looks like it. It seems to want to suck the hood down,lol. MOPAR claims to add 10HP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.