DODGE RAM FORUM banner

CAI Evaluation

316K views 644 replies 235 participants last post by  guy65 
#1 · (Edited)
I see a lot of posts and questions about CAI's, so I thought I'd do a little checking and do some comparisons. Everything is based on my Ram, 2010 with the Hemi. I'm sure there are other CAI's out there but these are the more common ones.

BFI $329.00 not enclosed and not out in the cold air.
K&N $322.00 partially enclosed and not in the cold air.
Airaid $365.00 partially enclosed and uses some cold air from fender connection, would use full cold air if it was fully enclosed

AFE Stage 1 $336.00 fully enclosed and uses cold air from the fender connection.
Volant $405.00 fully enclosed but has hole in bottom for scoop attachment which would be easy to block. Uses outside air connection on fender.

For my money were I to buy a CAI, I'd go for the fully enclosed CAI's hands down. CAI means "Cold" Air Intake. In my mind any CAI that does not get its air from outside the engine compartment is not a true CAI.

#546 ·
First wow that took awhile to read. I actually read the whole thing prior to joining but now here I am ready to drop a line onto the end of this novel of a thread. It's beengreat getting all of the different perspectives, in the end though I've decided on going with the S&B. I've even called them already to see if they have the scoop yet for my model. The answer was no but they are working on it. I was told it was a few months out for those also interested in the scoop for the 2015 Hemi intake.

#548 ·
After reading every single page on this thread, I really wish vararam made an air grabber for the 3rd gens! IMO the vararam "see through" model looks hideous. It also looks very cheap and seems to be a pain in the ass to install.

I will most likely be purchasing a Volant. I think it looks cleaner than the S&B while providing the same results.

Is there an air scoop that can be paired with the volant with the 3rd gens? I havn't had any luck looking.

#557 ·
I am guessing the AFE above, and the volant, are going to give the same small gains and little sound difference...And all of the unclosed will also have the same small gains and a better growl...I am looking for the best mid priced intake...I want a nice deep growl and a nice appearance...What would you recommend?...I just cannot see how a Volant or AFE Enclosed will do much more (other than a better flowing filter) than the factory setup...That is why I am going for a nice sounding intake and something that looks nice when I pop the hood...Vararam might show the best gains?...But I hate how it looks...I just don't buy into these 20, 30, 40hp gains advertised

#569 ·
Nope, not at all. There have been various opinions on whether it helps/hurts mpg.....Always depends on driving style period! Personally, I always install the complete kits on my vehicles, more so because I think they spice up the engine bay a bit, make the engine sound a touch throatier but any performance/mpg gains are minimal at best. I also enjoy that a lot of these cai filters don't need to be cleaned for 50k miles, depending driving conditions as always. Sounds like you scored big time......Install it and let us all know what you think!! I just ordered the AFE one myself but for slightly more than $50!!

#573 · (Edited)
S&b cai

Good Morning All! I am new to the forum and look forward to learning more about and sharing my experiences with my 2015 Ram 1500 Quad Cab!

I installed a S&B CAI instead of the MOPAR CAI at the recommendation of the dealer's service manager. He allegedly has a lot of MOPAR experience and said the S&B CAI is the best choice for this application. They don't sell aftermarket stuff so I felt it was good advice rather than him trying to sell their product.

The biggest difference I noticed was the throaty sound it produced when getting into. Not sure if it actually increased performance but it sure sounded like it! It also improved overall gas mileage by 1 MPG.

#574 ·
Good Morning All! I am new to the forum and look forward to learning more about and sharing my experiences with my 2015 Ram 1500 Quad Cab!

I installed a S&B CAI instead of the MOPAR CAI at the recommendation of the dealer's service manager. He allegedly has a lot of MOPAR experience and said the S&B CAI is the best choice for this application. They don't sell aftermarket stuff so I felt it was good advice rather than him trying to sell their product.

The biggest difference I noticed was the throaty sound it produced when getting into. Not sure if it actually increased performance but it sure sounded like it! It also improved overall gas mileage by 1 MPG.
that's good advice right there...he's not just a company man but a Mopar enthusiasts...the S&B looks so good you'd think thats the way Dodge should have done it...

#575 ·
I just don't understand how the Volant, aFe Momentum or S&B provide any additional hp/tq or fuel mileage compared to the stock setup with a high flow filter? I think it's purely the cool factor. I wish someone would prove me wrong. As I love how the S&B and Momentum look.

#576 ·
Well, guys like me like to do alot of testing on the track, i remember years ago i brought a couple of cai's to compare with the stock one with different dropins...long story short, i only use the stock box whenever i get smogged an inspected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.