DODGE RAM FORUM banner

95 dodge axle ?s

1K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  95dodgeram 
#1 ·
ok i have two 95 dodge rams ones 1500 one 2500 i want to take the whole axle front and rearout of the 2500 and put them under my 1500 for the gear ratio and strength difference im pretty sure itll be a direct bolt in swap but ive never done it just wondering if anyone knows different dont wanna tear into my truck and run into problems as its my dd and this needs to get it done in a weekend just curious if anyone knows

#2 ·
The axles are both the same a chrysler 9.25, now one might be a HD version which I think is a 4000 lb axle versus the 3850 standard. This is as far as I know, personally you are better off going to the junk yard and pulling a Dana 60, it's a much better axle the Dana 60.

#3 ·
well the only reason ill thinkin of doing it is ive got both trucks the 2500 is totaled so it no real use anyway and i want the lower gears due to my oversized tires and the 2500 already has 4.10s with auburn lsd in rear and front has an electronic locker if its all the same anyway i could just pull the gears and lockers and put them in my truck right?

#4 ·
Yes if both axles are Chrysler 9.25s then you can just swap differentials, it would actually be better to swap the differentials then axles maybe because of the condition of the axle. I am pretty certain they are both 9.25's probably the 2500 series is an HD axle but don't hold me to that because I have seen many 2500's with LD axles, hell mine is an LD axle and it's in a van which has a very heavy awkward rear end body. If you have a 12 bolt cover it's most likely 9.25" Differential.

Yea going to lower gears is better, I wouldn't go to a 4.1 actually thinking about it, you might get off with a 3.92. But then again how big are the tires?

#6 ·
Wow, and yikes you're going to suffer on MPG's. The frontal area of that truck is so large with that lift and those tires. Well you should be able to get away with 3.92 gears, since it's a manual then torque production is more exponential. But I'm going to check the math and make sure 3.92 is good, 4.1 is fine also which ever is easiest for you but personally I wouldn't put in more then I need. Especially on such a weak axle in comparison to say a Dana 60.

#7 · (Edited)
ok thanks for the advice ill look into the dana 60 swap cause i plan on going bigger in the future when time and money permits hoping to top out with a set of 40s and ive never really cared about mpg i wouldnt have bought a lifted ram if i was lol im just looking to regain use of my 5th gear cause right now its useless even on the interstate when it fairly flat i run in 4th all the time so that if anything is the main cause of my 11.2 mpg

#8 ·
ok thanks for the advice ill look into the dana 60 swap cause i plan on going bigger in the future when time and money permits hoping to top out with a set of 40s
The Dana 60 is a great axle, you just need to be careful when you swap axles to make sure the driveline geometry is correct. The 9.25 axle is a great axle and can withstand a lot of weight but they have a tendency to bend and it's a C-Clip axle and so on so forth. I was thinking of going to a dana 60, but I hate the idea of hubs to hold freaking wheels on.

#11 ·
I've done some research im gonna find a dana 60 front and a dana 70 rear to put in my truck i might go ahead and box the frame while i've that stuff outa tha way too stiffen it up for the 12v ctd swap i have planned for it does anyone know if theres any write ups on here for the dana swaps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.