DODGE RAM FORUM banner

New stereo head unit blowin my dash lights

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  brandonjansen 
#1 ·
I have a 96 ram 1500 sport. ive tried to replace the factory head unit with two different non factory head units . ive used a wiring harness so i dont have to cut into the factory wiring . with both units whenever i turn my headlights on the illum fuse (5amp) blows and my intrument panel goes out . Am i maybe missing some thing and hooking up the harness wrong or not hooking up something i should ? its really a pain in the butt now that it would appear my factory unit has takin a poop on me and i just want to listen to some tunes while i drive .Any input would be apreciated and Thank you in advance

#3 ·
Ya it definitely sounds like something is shorting out to blow that fuse. When the fuse for the lights blow does the stereo change at all? The lighting of it or anything?

As MorePwr stated above, check the orange/white wires on the harness and deck; those are the ones that control the light dimming on the stereo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.