DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Question about 2013 4x4

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  RyanJM 
#1 ·
So i have a 2013 4x4 outdoorsman and trying to understand what type of 4x4 i have now.

I am use to the old and really old 4x4 the type where you use to get out and lok your hubs in and the type where you had a separate control shifter for rwd, 4wd hi and 4wd low. Now I have a know that says 2wd, 4wd lock and 4wd low.

is 4wd lock the new 4wd high or is this actually saying that it is locking in all 4 wheels like actually lockers (that is awesome if possible)
Sorry been out of the 4x4 for a bit and having to get re accustomed.

#3 ·
4wd lock is essentially 4hi and 4wd low is essentially 4low. Neither lock up all 4 wheels though, you still have an open diff. Unless you have the limited slip rear end (I'd assume the outdoorsman's do). That will help you on the back axel but it's still not fully locked.

#7 ·
I've never had a 4WD but always wanted one. I'll see, but man, these new Rams are awesome!! Makes it mighty hard to resist!

#8 ·
It's what others have already said... The only thing I'd like to add is about the hubs. The reason you no longer have to manually lock the hubs is because they are always locked.

I'm not sure on the 1500s but Chrysler has used something called CAD, in the past. What CAD does is it disconnects the front axle, when 4WD isn't used. It's kind of like unlocking the front hubs but not as efficient because the locked hubs are still spinning everything in the front axle, instead of just the wheels.

#9 ·
I always wondered why in this day in age when they are trying to get better fuel mileage out of 4x4 trucks that they don't have free spooling hubs like the old manual hubs but with an electric device that would lock the hubs so you don't need to get out and turn them manually. This would also save on wear on the front driveline.

#11 ·
I could have done with a 4 auto and low mode.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.