DODGE RAM FORUM banner

fuel gauge wont work!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  primo spaghetti 
#1 ·
Hi have a 1999 dodge ram 2500 5.9 gas. I've replaced sending unit and have checked all wires and fuses and relays. Gas gauge stays on empty but when I clear check engine light it goes to full for about 30 seconds then drops back to empty! What could be wrong with it?

#2 · (Edited)
Fuel sending unit is defective or pop the tank with a rubber hammer. My 98 1500 5.9 farm truck is out, rather than pull the bed and replace it, I use the trip meter at each fill-up on the odometer. If I'm mostly town driving it's 10 mpg on the 26 gallon tank. If it's interstate I'm 15 mpg on a the same 26 gallons. So 200 miles and fill for the first scenario and 300 miles and fill for the second scenario, reset at each fill up. Many of our guys would fix it now. The HEMI I would and like wise the diesel (the old 5.9 1500 is a local farm truck though). R...

#3 ·
where was the sending unit that you changed? in my 96 i was told it was on the pump and i would have to replace the pump to change the sending unit, so i too used the trip meter to guage my gas consumption....

i also read that the oil pressure sending unit could adversely affect the fuel guage if it was shot. i cant recall where i read it but it was a dodge forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.