DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bilstein 5100 / Roadmaster Active Suspension

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  robertmalek 
#1 ·
Installed Bilstein 5100's front and rear, and also installed a Roadmaster Active suspension kit on the rear leaf packs. I bought the Bilsteins to level the front, and the after alot of research bought the Roadmaster to increase load capacity to prevent the rear from sagging when loaded. The Roadmaster Active Suspension is nothing more than a heavy duty coil spring that counters your leaf pack when it wants to flatten out; bringing it back to the stock arc. I had never seen a rear suspension kit like this before, but I am very happy with the purchase. I got 3/4" lift in the rear, setting at their recommendations, and the ride performance, coupled with the Bilsteins, has improved exponentially. No more soft, swaying suspension, but it didn't make the truck so stiff it rode like a wagon iether....a crisp, responsive, level ride.
With gaining 3/4" in the rear, I set the Bilstein front's at the third setting (1.32) and actually got 1.5" lift in the front. All in all, I got a much better ride and more level truck, but not so high in the front that it doesn't look right. I measure 41" to the ground from the top of the rear fender, and 39-3/4" on the front.
I will be posting pics to the thread for reference once I figure out why my camera is on the fritz.

#2 ·
Sounds awesome. I know bilstein makes the sh!t for shocks so I know it has to be a welcomed improvement over stock. I didnt know that they made the 5100's ride hieght adjustables for any Ram other than the 09 and 10's. Maybe just not or the 02-05 becasue for some dumb reason we dont have coils. Cant wait for the pics!!:smileup:

#3 ·
Will post pics of the leaf spring stabilizer coil by Roadmaster as well...never seen or heard of anything like this contraption before, but definitely works well! Was concerned about Timbrens and airbags reducing active suspension travel, and adding a leaf making it ride like a wagon. I haven't had anything in the bed yet, but ridewise; these Bilsteins along with the Roadmastes RAS system seem to be the ticket.

#5 ·
Here are the pics from the Bilstein / RAS install. Had some winter weather that week, so salt all over everything. Bilstein's set on 3rd setting, and RAS tensioned to recommended quarter gap unloaded (got approx. 3/4" lift in rear and 1.5" lift in front) Still have about an inch of rake, but looks more level overall, while improving the suspension and handlling.
Bought the Bilstein's and the RAS from the following sites:

http://www.activesuspension.com/home.html
http://www.bugsandbuggies.com/bil_main.asp?Ref=DSV

Hope this helps some with the decision....lots of stuff to look at out there.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.