DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil Catch Can??

51K views 67 replies 27 participants last post by  KNTDRV 
#1 ·
So, How important is putting on an oil catch can on 2014 5.7 Ram. Has anyone done it on a one yet. It doesn’t look very complicated. If it is truly necessary I will do it.

#36 ·
Folks, this thread is about whether it is worth doing a catch can. They are not for everyone. Some people do not want to have have to empty it and dispose of the oil responsibly. I can tell you from my experience that I was shocked at how much oil and moisture it will extract. I personally think they are worth the effort to keep your intake and throttle body clean. But if a catch can is not for you, don't unhook your PCV hose and run it to the ground. Just let the factory PCV system do its job instead of dumping it on the street. Common sense.

#37 ·
I empty my can into a plastic water bottle and throw it in the trash, I figure this is recycling at its finest, because a thousand years from now they can put a well on top of the landfill and bada bing! every little bit helps. and Bartlett I drive a truck for a living and its more like 20% new tractors no longer have road draft tubes (mainly due to calfornia clean idle rules) now the 1984 international I started in had a draft tube and would just puke oil and smoke right on the road. now you can call me a tree hugger if u like but don't call me Al gore or we got problems LOf#@$L

#38 ·
My 2007 kenworth and my older trucks all puke it right on the road . My 2010 kenworth had a dpf system and it was a major pain! Now all you see is guy's spending big dollars to delete the dpf systems off there new trucks. ( I paid close to 10g to delete) lucky for us MN dont have testing :smiley_thumbs_up:

The state of Mn dumps raw diesel on the ground every day and no one says a thing ! lol ... you ever watch a paving crew ? the truck drivers spray the crap out of there boexs and tail gates with fuel right out of there fuel tanks and it runs right on the ground ! lol ... I think the ten drops a week from my pickup will be ok ....

#39 ·
My 2007 kenworth and my older trucks all puke it right on the road . My 2010 kenworth had a dpf system and it was a major pain! Now all you see is guy's spending big dollars to delete the dpf systems off there new trucks. ( I paid close to 10g to delete) lucky for us MN dont have testing :smiley_thumbs_up:

The state of Mn dumps raw diesel on the ground every day and no one says a thing ! lol ... you ever watch a paving crew ? the truck drivers spray the crap out of there boexs and tail gates with fuel right out of there fuel tanks and it runs right on the ground ! lol ... I think the ten drops a week from my pickup will be ok ....
also what about the truck stops every pump usually leaks and spills happen from guys trying to top off there tanks, and nobody cleans that up, when it rains all that diesel just runs right into the storm sewer, browndawg out

G
#43 ·
I had a catch can on my 03 Hemi and my 06 Hemi Charger. When I traded my Charger on this 09 Ram Hemi, I robbed it. As soon as the weather gets nice I will install it. You would be supprised how much oil you get out of it.

#51 · (Edited)
1/2" is what you want.
You'll need to use 1/2" hose to slide over the orginal PCV line
Which one do they have on sale,is it something like what's pictured above?
If so you'll need a small plug to plug the bottom drain.
Air compressor seperators are set up to hold pressure,not vaccum,that's the reason for the bottom plug.
Stay away from the ones with a polycarbonite bowl.
If you ever decide to use synthetic motor oil,it'll attack most poly bowls,so you want one with a metal bowl

#55 ·
Went back to Princess Auto - the 2 Milton's that were $28 are gone - both did not have a box so they were blowing them out - they are back to $69.00 plus Gouge and Screw Tax. Looks like it will cost around $100 taxes in to build it. Got a line on a Moroso Can kit for $135.00 plus taxes - may see if my buddy can get it?

#56 ·
Crap,i was thinking of grabbing one just to have for a spare for my air compressor.
I couldn't remember what i'd paid for the one already on my compressor,but i knew 28 bucks was a deal:smileup:
You'll like the Moroso unit,that's the one i have on my little 4.7,and the drain valve is a nice option

#61 ·
Since I change my own oil I just add the CC contents in with whatever jug of old oil is still in my garage. There are facilities at Canadian Tire stores or at our local dump that take the old oil and dispose of it properly. Totally green solution and my engines intake stays nice and clean :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.