DODGE RAM FORUM banner

FAI - Frigid Air Intake!

5K views 54 replies 19 participants last post by  RAM357 
#1 · (Edited)
****WARNING: I treated this lightly at FIRST, but have realized now this is a SERIOUS problem! PLEASE read my THREAD on the issue in the Vararam Forum HERE.

Had a bit of a blizzard yesterday, and came out today to find this under the hood. :4-dontknow:

CAI .. pfft!

FAI is where it's at biotches :gy:

Var

See less See more
#2 ·
The question is, did she start?! ;)
It rained like the blazes over night last night... Hit 10c this morning... Now it's blowing up to 100km/h and the temp is at 0.
Tomorrow, I'll check my 3rd brake light and see if any water got in it after I fluffed the seal. Rather have the rain then snow... Bring on Spring!

#3 ·
It did start! I used the remote before checking under the hood once I knew the exhaust was clear at the back.

Var

#4 ·
Had a bit of a blizzard yesterday, and came out today to find this under the hood. :4-dontknow:

CAI .. pfft!

FAI is where it's at biotches :gy:

Var
I'm cold just looking at that. Love the FAI though! Also great picture

#8 ·
I naturally assumed it flowed in from below, @ the grill. I honestly do not know for sure though. I wonder if the shutters close upon engine shutdown?

Var

#7 ·
I just brushed the snow out. She'll be good to go.

But this confirms an apprehension of mine - how do I wash it at a DIY wash without getting water up into the filter area?

That's worrisome.

Var

#9 ·
Wisest thing might be to put the stock box back on for winter.

You're not the first guy with problems in the winter.

There's a couple guys down here who remove theirs in the winter as slushy snow covered streets and a scoop style CAI don't mix well.
The slush flies up and pretty soon their filters are a soggy mess

#11 ·
AGREED! I confirmed this this afternoon! Unacceptable.

does vararam offer a pre-filter, I have run a pre-filter on my motorcycles with open filters in the pouring rain and never had a problem, and I run one on my k&n intake on the ram as it is not a closed box design and gets salty
I have been thinking this all afternoon. I sometimes run my HOG's intake in the open and have a prefilter also. I'd like to look at that in the sumer for sure, IF I keep the Vararam. You'd have to be very careful seating the filter after wrapping it so that the elastic part doesn't interfere.

Maybe try putting some weather stripping along the inside leading edge of the hood... that should keep the snow out... great pics by the way.
I think it's coming in the grill. And while the stripping seems like an idea, it would also trap water and moisture that down the road would encourage rust.

sweet pics!

but that first one is a little scary...
Yup .. Scary as $%^& :SHOCKED::SHOCKED::SHOCKED:

Var

#13 ·
When I mentioned pre-filter I wasn't thinking of the foam type. I run a cover type on my HOG and it works great. I have no interest in foam in this application.

This :

Var

#14 ·
I understood that you weren't interested in foam. I was just wondering if you could use foam to make an impression of the opening to be used for a template to construct a filter that would fit snugly of a material you would be comfortable with.

Foam would be unsightly. I was just tossing that out there as a way to manufacture something that might be acceptable.

#16 ·
I don't think I understand this WL. I like the idea of a pre-filter 'cover', so I would ask Vararam what filter they are using and then reach out to the various pre-filter cover manufacturers to find one that works in this app. Frankly I'm surprised I never saw any commentary on this issue. I can't be the first guy with a Vararam who endures snowy winters. :4-dontknow:

Man that is some scary shit. Glad that your truck is all good. Keep us updated on what direction you go in the future.
Yea, thanks man. And we have a 2 day storm coming with 6 inch accumulation. :smiledown: If we have a lull with no blowing snow tomorrow I'll try and swap back in the stock. I wish I could get a filter cover quick. That would be my first preference. Tray that out. Does nothing for keeping snow out, but at least the cover could be cleared of snow 100% vs snow and ice crammed into every pleat. :(

Var

#17 ·
I'm not an expert or novice on Vararam.

So I'm going to shoot from the hip.

It looks like it's coming in along the front section. That appears to be around 32 inches across. The height of the opening is what...? 1 3/4?

So what I'm suggesting is that to get a tight seal while it's sleeping to put a piece of foam in the opening along the front. When the hood is closed it will make an impression in the foam. Use the impression that it made for exact measurements on the contour of the opening.

Mow this is only a preliminary suggestion...but use the exact measurement and template formed by the foam to fabricate an air induction type opening in the front, since you should have exact measurements and contours.

If it has one elongated opening in the center across the opening it can be made to open when the truck is operating, by an electronic motor or vacuum.

However, while it's sleeping the opening would be closed.

If it's that cold no one wants to be out there doing anything so you have time to come up with a prototype or rough model/sketch and work from there.

Something like this all the way in the front:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pztawqYsWvQ

#18 ·
You'll never seal it up tight enough to keep fine snow out of it at highway speeds.
The pre-filter might work,but i think you're better off using it seasonally,besides in the winter you don't need the extra power,it'll already spin the back tires easily in the snow,lol:smileup:
There's a young guy out here,that swaps his stock hood back on,as his aftermarket hood with a fresh air scoop,gives him nothing but trouble in the winter,anything that allows cold air into the engine compartment,also allows blowing snow to get into that same area

#19 ·
That's crazy!

I'm glad you got it sorted out/figrued out before anything serious happened though! i'm sure we would all hate to see that sick rig on the back of a tow truck!

Keep us posted!

#21 ·
What about fabricating some type of pre-filter and installing it at the top of the radiator spanning the width of the inlet? Like a reed valve with a plastic rigid frame? At least you could see at a glance and clean it easier. Possibly? It would block any foreign matter getting into the main run leading up to the filter.

#22 ·
I am resigned to think the design, in my climate, is fatally flawed. I could do any number of mods but they simply shift the snow/ice gathering to a new location. Tell me that won't diminish air flow! So I'm supposed to pop the hood, and clean that pre-filter, or whatever each 30 minutes down the road? Sorry, can't do it .. should not have to do it.

The Vararam design probably works great in the sunshine, and if I lived in SoCal I'd buy one in a heart beat but not up here. Not in this snow.

I just wish someone had provided a caution or warning prior to my purchasing this from Vararam via Bully's Performance.

Var

#24 ·
Well.......sorry for your grief, but if I purchase a product that was determined flawed through trial and error, I try to think through a reasonable fix before pulling it, I suppose it was a crazy idea. Just thought you were determined to keep it. This is obviously a "customer satisfaction" category. Good luck.

#25 ·
Don't get me wrong, I'm up to a mod challenge as much as the next guy, but I'm not feelin it here. Anything I do will either disturb the quality of airflow the AG was designed to experience, or it will be a hack job add-on which is a disservice to this Vararam product.

I have replaced the stock intake for now. While I was wrenching I happened to look down at the base of the rad area and it is 4-6" deep in packed snow.

Var

#32 ·
Well I'm glad I tried it, and Steve if honoring his satisfaction guarantee so it's all good. I spoke to Andrew @ Bully's and have the LMI short ram on order. I'll run a filter sock cover on it.

Var

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.