DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil Catch Can??

51K views 67 replies 27 participants last post by  KNTDRV 
#1 ·
So, How important is putting on an oil catch can on 2014 5.7 Ram. Has anyone done it on a one yet. It doesn’t look very complicated. If it is truly necessary I will do it.

#2 ·
i'm just working on mine. they say it steals octane from your gas,especially if you add mods and are looking for performance

#12 ·
I was curious about this statement so I did some research and the "loss of octane" can happen when you don't have a catch can installed and are relying on the stock PCV system. The catch can prevents oil from getting back into the intake system and reducing performance. I've had my catch can for quite some time and usually get a 1/4 can every couple of months.

#6 · (Edited)
I'm not doubting that the catch can keeps the throttle body and the intake clean but I wonder who and why the catch can was invented if it was only for that reason. Not knowing anything about the 5.7 Hemi engine I can't comment on any real benefits of a catch can.

#7 ·
So, How important is putting on an oil catch can on 2014 5.7 Ram. Has anyone done it on a one yet. It doesn’t look very complicated. If it is truly necessary I will do it.
It is not truly necessary or it would have been added when the vehicle was designed. Could it be a good idea? yes. Looking at the amount of oil I get out of mine, I prefer to have it rather than recirculating oil into the intake, but it was designed without it, and it is your truck; do what you wish with it.
Same thing for air intakes, filters, synthetic fluids, headers, tuners, exhaust, y-pipes, thermostats, etc, etc. None are truly necessary.

it removes the oil particulate in the air from the egr valve. Keeps the intake plenum way cleaner. I have one sitting on the bench waiting for my new limited.
^ This

I'm not doubting that the catch can keeps the throttle body and the intake clean but I wonder who and why the catch can was invented if it was only for that reason. Not knowing anything about the 5.7 Hemi engine I can't comment on any real benefits of a catch can.
It keeps the throttle body and the intake clean. That is a pretty good reason for invention and applications.
I am not sure when the item itself was invented/patented, but versions have been around since steam engines to separate lubricating oil (pistons) from water used in generating steam (fuel). Carried over into IC engines, they have been around as long as I can remember, usually in performance or precision applications rather than mass production as they are a maintenance item no one wants to be responsible for. Exception being aviation and military, but neither are 'production' really, and have a much higher service and inspection interval than domestic automobiles.

i'm just working on mine. they say it steals octane from your gas,especially if you add mods and are looking for performance
wut?
enlighten me, and please reference 'they'

#8 ·
It is not truly necessary or it would have been added when the vehicle was designed. Could it be a good idea? yes. Looking at the amount of oil I get out of mine, I prefer to have it rather than recirculating oil into the intake, but it was designed without it, and it is your truck; do what you wish with it.
I am pretty sure the only reason catch cans are not added by the manufacturer, is because it becomes a maintenance item easily overlooked by the average car buyer and could pose a real problem if not regularly drained. Manufacturer's have in general tried to reduce and/or stretch out maintenance requirements.

#9 ·
" they " is a lot of the posting on here and on the internet coming from different people saying the same thing about catch cans.

#15 ·
Yes, we are talking motor oil. If you never change your motor oil, then yes, it will get low. But this is blow back that is forced out of the crank case anyway. The catch can catches it before it goes in to the intake.

#16 ·
Oil catch cans were actually designed for racing, (here in america anyway) believe it or not. Back in the old days, engines used to just vent the crankcase out to the atmosphere (via a straight tube down to the ground under the vehicle). When vented to the outside of the crankcase, they were noticing oil blow-by was making its way onto the track surfaces, thus causing slippery track conditions, causing accidents. Catch cans were now law on the pro track circut. (you even have to have a coolant catch can the engines too).

Normal average cars on the road in the old days wernt effected by this problem because they wernt run hard enough to bother the streets and highways. BUT, they STILL dump oil out to the atmosphere... SOOOOOO, then along came the government EPA police, which deemed it ILLEGAL to let engines continue to expel oil fumes into the atmosphere. So then someone came up with the bright idea to return the crankcase vapor back into the engine by way of a hose into the intake manifold which would suck all the crankcase fumes (oil vapor included) upon deceleration. This is now known as the PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation).

Oil catch cans have been around for a long time, are ther any benefits... maybe, maybe not. If it makes you feel good about installing one, do so, but engines have been running for many hundreds of thousands of miles without one, without issues. Change your oil often, keep the air filter clean, those alone are the real benefits that have been proven.

Now let the oil catch can war begin...!

#17 ·
I suppose the only way to know for sure is to run identical trucks under identical conditions (only difference being a catch can on one of them). After 100,000 miles pull the top end off each one and take a look. Gotta love the scientific approach, I wonder if anyone has done this. :4-dontknow:

#18 ·
The catch can is a good idea… as rambunkshuss stated above. There are three choices..
collect the vapor in a can
dump the vapor on the street/air
burn the vapor in the intake

I'm not opposed in any way to keeping the air/roads clean.

I'm certain the reason we on the Z love these things is because we are also the type of person who likes opening the engine compartment very so often to see how things are going in there.

If a catch can came stock it would need a 30 gallon reservoir and even then- there are lots of folks that would never notice it getting full. LOL

#20 ·
IMHO the auto companies make cars to last for the warranty period, having your intake getting gummed up by oil and crap most likely will not happen prior to the warranty expiring, and at that point it is "your problem." Seeing the mess the recirc of oil can make of the intake and T-body should be enough to convince you to go with the catch can. But as others have said, it is one more thing to maintain, if you trade in every 3-4 years don't worry about it, if you are like me and keep your trucks 10+ years, it is worth the $100 of prevention.

#21 ·
Maybe you guys can help me out here. Installed a Moroso Catch Can this morning. Install seemed pretty straightforward. But I noticed when turn on the ignition I see the MIL (Multifunction Indicator Light-looks like an engine) icon on my dash that's just staying on.

Do you think this is coincidental or something with my install of the catch can? I believe everything is installed correctly and I have the sensor plugged back in.

#23 ·
I think it's something you did with the install. Wait a couple days and drive it. If the computer does not see an issue anymore, it will clear itself after about 5 start cycles.

#24 ·
IMo its a waste of money. you can just run a hose/line to the bottom of the truck if you are not wanting a pvc system. 99% of all semi's just vent right to ground.

IMo leave it alone.. My last 5.9 went 300,000 miles with the stock motor and was sold and still running as far as I know.

the only thing this mod will do is lighten your wallet...

#26 · (Edited)
Illegally dumping them on the pavement is irresponsible and ignorant.

Thats moronic ..... get out of your tree hugging box and look around. 99% of all semi's vent blowby directly to the ground. your little poo poo truck might vent a tee spoon worth a week, a semi will dump a gallon or better every 5,000miles.

90% of cars and trucks will drip more oil on the ground than will ever come out of a blow by tube ....

You ever look under a diesel pickup ? In your words these guy's should be hung ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN65PhwFt1k

On my race car the tube is hooked directly to the headers and blown right out the pipes ! Its a good hp gainer...

#27 ·
Bartlett,

I get about 8 ounces every six weeks out of mine. I keep it in an empty 5-quart oil container and drop it by my local garage when it is getting full. Even if it were 50 ounces a year per person, multiply that by a few thousand people that don't care about their kids' or grandkids' future on our planet and you can see the impact. Maybe you should do a little more tree hugging yourself. Or maybe a little research about responsible recycling. My tree hugging box is the size of a planet, that unfortunately is shared with too many people that don't care about the future. Sad….

#29 ·
1) You obviously know nothing about recycling

2) The Ram 1500 is the highest fuel economy for a 1/2 ton pickup that meets my needs (if you are getting 10-12 MPG, something is wrong with your truck)

3) I'm not going to try to match wits with an unarmed man. It just wouldn't be fair. Peace out!

#31 ·
judd you need to stop reading the internet.

A fuel burner is a oil burner ... Its used to heat the shops your dropping the oil off at.
you think burning dirty oil is green ? Stop on by my shop and take a look at the roof ! ...it looks like a diesel truck leaving a stop light ! lmaooo

Going green has NOTHING to do with recycling or saving the planet ! NOTHING ! it is 100% about making money !

My local asphalt plant on a summer day goes through 10,000 gallons of oil and it gets planted right on the ground ! and after the road goes bad it gets ground up and made into recycle rock and put right back into the ground ! Then watch the trucks putting the mix down, they spray diesel fuel right out of the fuel tanks into there boxes and all over there tail gates so the asphalt dont stick ! This is the STATE TRUCKS ! the same state that makes you go green .... ALL ABOUT THE $$ ..... I see it all day every day ! :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.