DODGE RAM FORUM banner

pinion nut recall performed

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  RansRAM 
#1 ·
Just had my truck in for the pinion nut retainer clip install performed. The dealer I bought my truck from told me parts are not available yet after I called and said I had received my second notice in the mail. He said it could be months before he gets the parts in and that I should just check back every 2-3 weeks. So I called the other dealer in my town and he said yeah bring it in, parts have been in stock now for about 3 weeks. So I took it in and had it done, took about an hour. So any of you being told parts are not in you may want to check with other dealers.

#4 ·
Got the same run around from my dealer whom I just bought the truck off of in April used, they said they wouldn't do it. I took the truck in for service because it was leaking clear oil from the rear end, they wanted to charge me $70 for inspection, to say the least I lost it, after being told they didn't have parts to fix it originally they called me later that day and said the parts would be there in the morning and it was related to the recall...

Terrible service here in Toronto... but at least shes fixed

#5 ·
I took my dad's '09 in last Friday to have it done. No issues, except they took 10 hours to do it :4-dontknow:

#7 ·
No. I asked and they said all they had to do was the nut. My dad doesn't drive his truck hard. We tow and haul with it but apparently the diff was fine. the truck had about 56,000 mi on it when the recall was performed.

#9 ·
Sure wish chrysler would get after their LAME dealerships, its just ridiculous..! (lame is putting it nicely) Couple friends of mine here locally, wont buy another dodge truck just because the dealership service is so horrible. I myself, am up in the air about buying another dodge again, i`m trading in for a new truck this coming spring, but dodge is not very high on my "option to buy" list this time, and i`ve been a loyal buyer for many many years. (i buy the top of the line models too...$50,000 dollar trucks when i buy them) I`ve lived the same dealership issues as my friends have, lack of professional service at every dodge dealer i`ve been to. (they cant seem to fix anything right, most the time, they actually make it worse after they`ve touched it) Its really too bad, i really love the truck, but i need a new one soon. When i took mine in for the rear differential recall, the tech didnt even frickin know how to install the pinion nut retainer, i had to show him how it went inside the yoke and how to tighten it up. (REALLY...???) He didnt even know the driveshaft had to be removed... then he asked why they had sent four new flange bolts in the box with the retainer. Sad folks, very sad.

#11 ·
Excellent idea Sean, i hope you have a dealer that is willing to work that out for you, most wont because of warranty policies. I would also find out BEFORE they do your differential, that ther is a QUALIFIED guy to do the job. Talk one on one with the guy thats actually going to do the job. Find out how many differentials he has set up in his career. You know as well as i do, you DONT want a newbie on this job... especially if YOU have your own money invested in it.

#20 ·
Just got the build sheet for my truck from Dodge and asked them to check to see what recalls have been performed. They told me all except for the pinion nut recall, this was a bit of a surprise because when I bought the truck a few months ago they said everything was up to date. Guess i will have to call them on that one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.