DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2013 RAM Oil Catch Can in Canada... The downside....

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Hornet 
#1 ·
I'll cut to the chase... I have a Moroso catch can in my 2013 RAM 1500. It's cold cold cold up here in Canada. With that said these collect A LOT of water/condensation in the winter. Meaning after a couple weeks of short trips the can is full and a frozen ice cube.

So please people check yours frequently if you're in a freezing climate.

That is all....

#5 ·
If Brad Pitt says it, I'm gonna try it haha
I don't find I collect as much of anything i nmine, as many on the forums do. I thought it was an altitude thing? I drive the shit out of it regularly, and it makes a TON of short trips but it's never filled between 5,000km oil change intervals.

#6 ·
Engine heat doesn't do much. I've done full warm ups drives whatever. It thaws a bit but stays mostly frozen. But the main thing is how fast it fills up. Frozen or not it needs to be inspected and emptied quite frequently.

#7 · (Edited)
A winter front might help with the freezing/thawing part.
Helps to generate more underhood heat,with-out that blast of cold wind blowing threw the radiator.
I also wonder if a winterfront might not help with the amount you get in the can.

An old engine builder i used to know,claimed the cold wind blowing threw the rad was the cause of the front cylinders always showing more wear then the middle cylinders on V-8's in Canada's warm winter climate.
The old guy was a hell'va machinist,and i tend to believe him,as he'd rebuilt a pile of engines over the years,and wasn't stupid
If you get that wind off things,the motor and crankcase run noticably warmer,and have a better chance of getting warm enough to get rid of the moisture in the crankcase.
Rings seal better etc.,so techincally it should help with the amount going in the can.
That's only speculation on my part though,as i haven't done any testing to see if there's a differance,between no front cover or with cover
Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.