DODGE RAM FORUM banner

TIPM Electrical Issues - 2007 1500 Ram

43K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Ciciro 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 Ram 1500 that I purchased 6 months ago. About a month ago; I had to have the Integrated Power Module (TIPM) replaced after the truck was disabled during a camping trip in the desert (S CA). When I tried to start the truck; there was nothing - no clicking sound, etc or any indication that the battery was out. In fact; the lights, battery and instrument panel all showed to be good. I had to call AAA (big tow charge !!) to get towed back to a Dodge Dealer for diagnostics. The Dealer said that the TIPM had failed and needed to be replaced - this was $750 part cost and another $250 for diagnostics charge; replacement. I kept the old part to study it to see how they go bad - but there's no indication.

Question : Has anyone had this issue with TIPM replacement in a 2007 Ram ? What makes these power modules go bad ? What are the electrical symptoms ?

Whats is worse is that my extended warranty / service contract did not cover the TIPM replacement !!...(I'm still fighting this with the Service Contract Co.)

Ok - I just want to hear from anyone who had the same electrical issue with the TIPM in a Ram truck. The Ram is running good now - but I need to hear from others who have had to replace the TIPM from their Ram trucks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me guess, the extended warranty is for powertrain, and even though the powertrain is dead in the water without it, the TIPM is one of the items that is not covered. I really don't like extended warranties....they cover stuff if it doesn't break.

As for your TIPM, I am looking to get my hands a few defective ones (some of each model year) so I can do some exploratory surgery. I refuse to believed these things can't be repaired, at least until I rip some apart and see how they are built. Currently I repair the 'modules' in the electronic equipment I use in my day job. I dislike spending $250 on a module I can repair for $2 in parts and 45min in time.

If you willing to part with it, I will pay whatever the costs are to get it to me in Canada. :)

#3 ·
TIPM Electrical Issues

The old TIPM that I had replaced in my Ram is missing the fuses that link to the electrical board circuits on the module. These fuse links are what you see when you lift the cover from the power module. The new power module looks like the same make/model as the old one. These fuse links are color coded (3A, 5A, 10A, etc) and were removed from the Dealer Techs during diagnostics; but the electrical board looks in good shape. No burn marks or any indication of circuit board failure. The Dealer Techs stated that power was going into the TIPM from the battery - but no power going out. I will take some digital photos of the module circuit board for reference.

The extended warranty that I bought covers both mechanical / electrical items for 36mos / 36000 miles. But the warranty does not specifically list the TIPM as a covered part; nor does it list it as a non-covered part. That's why I'm still fighting the warranty contract co.....

For now; I'd like to keep this old TIPM until I can find out some more from others that have had the same experience with electrical failure.
JmRam2007...:doh:

#4 ·
I agree and would encourage you to keep it, at least until you are finished with the warranty company. If the extended warranty covers drivetrain and electrical items, I can't think of to many item more electrical than the TIPM. It IS the heart of the electrical system.

Go Get Them!

How ever this ends, if you are in possession the TIPM and want to get rid of it, let me know. :)

#5 ·
TIPM Electrical Issues - 2007 Ram 1500

Thanks for the message Brad - yeah, the TIPM is the "Heart" of the electrical system. What I can't understand; is what are the symptoms of this part going bad....the electrical wiring from the TIPM has a plug-in type adapter which checked out to be good. So electrical wiring going IN / OUT is good to go..the circuit board looks very clean like brand new.

Ok - I'll keep you posted and take some pics of the TIPM.

#6 ·
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram as well. My dash light and dome light fuse kept blowing at first. Then the truck got stuck in limp mode which keeps it in one gear to prevent damage. When I put it in drive and reverse, it violently pops hard. Everyonce in a while, everything works just fine but 99% of time, runs horrible. I was told to replace TIPM but dont have funds and not sure why it works fine sometimes and fails most.

#8 ·
I really don't think the fuse blowing was a fault of the TIPM, but rather a problem in the circuit that caused the fuses to blow. If the problem was persistent, I could see the problem affecting the TIPM to the point that it finally has internal damage.

The TIPM is nothing more than a simple computer with high power switching system integrated into it. As with anything electronic, and of that complexity, you can have intermittents, partial failures, flakiness, etc. Some of these could be caused by connection intermittents, which could be the result of persistent over current (that's what causes fuses to blow). This scenario could result in intermittent proper operation, but overall poor operation.

Electronics has it's good points and bad points. It makes it possible to have pretty advanced operation and control systems at a reasonable price, but when something goes wrong, you don't have the advantage of being able to 'see' the defect, as visually, there generally is no difference between a properly working part and one that is not functioning correctly. About the only exception to that, is when something either blows up, or overheats enough to cause visual staining from the heat; and even then, the visually identifiable part is normally not the only part affected.

Why is yours intermittently working OK? I'm sure it's something straight forward and simple. Just have to figure out which of the thousands of possibilities is the one affecting yours. Fixing it is generally not the issue.....figuring out what to fix, is. :4-dontknow:

#7 ·
I have not had a fuse problem with the lights in my 2007 Ram. The dome light in the cab roof area was not coming on - but I just adjusted the bulb and now works fine....since replacing the TIPM I have not had any electrical issues...but I'm still trying to figure why it went bad...the Techs at the Dealer told me that there was power from the battery going into the TIPM but no power going out....no power going to the starter coil. This brings up another question : Can you manually jump start the coil from another battery source ?

Ok - appreciate the message.

PS : The powertrain in my Ram works fine; but I do notice that when it is started cold and put in drive - it is sluggish like; but gear train doesn't make a pop sound. When the truck is warmed up - everythings fine. The Dealer said all of my fluids looked good and transmission is fine.

#9 ·
I know this thread is a little old, but thought I'd share any way. My TIPM went out on my 2010 while it was sitting shut off, key out of ignition, in my garage! Just came out the next morning and it was DEAD. Got a tow to dealer, replaced TIPM and now everything seems to be working again. This was really crazy, no warning or problems while driving the night before.

#10 ·
Even when the truck is shut off, the TIPM is powered and running. It is a 24/7 device that is always running waiting for input. When you open a door, it receives a signal from the door switch and turns the interior lights on. When you hit the door lock/unlock, it gets that signal and does the appropriate thing. The only time we notice it, is when we ask for something and it doesn't happen. LOL

When you went out in the morning, did the door locks of interior lights work?

#11 ·
hi was wondering if any of you guys with the tipm problem have kept their old ones , mine blew something on the circuit board and we can fix it I just cant make out the part number of the small part that blew. my was related to switching it in and out of 4 wheel drive, and its happened 2 times now. it was triggered by the 4x4 actuator motor on the transfer case that burned up. I can send pics of the board and the small piece on the board it should have a small number on it.. any help would be appreciated... thanks

#15 ·
  1. I know it's been a while since the post but I have been reading about tipm issues with headlights etc and I by passed my one side headlight now my 4x4 will just flash when I attempt to switch it on. If you have that Pic maybe I could check out mine and see if it is the same problem. I can't speed close to $1000 to have it fixed. But replace a part that I may be able to afford

#14 ·
After having the 4x4 actuator motor burn out for the 4th time in my 2008 Ram 1500 (4.7L), the dealership finally told me that the TIPM is the cause. I even asked them during previous burn outs if there could be something else causing the motor burn out but they said no.

They want $2000 to replace the TIPM ... seems crazy expensive to me.

No other symptoms ... truck runs fine, no other electrical issues at all. Go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.