DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Any advice for better fuel economy?

10K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  caseykerner 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody had any advice to help my fuel milage. I have about 3,300 miles on my truck and havent had any problems, except that my fuel milage isnt very good.

I was thinking about an exhaust. Will this help any? I kinda want to do it anyways to get a little rumble but was curious if it would help any.

I was also thinking about an aftermarket air intake. Will this help at all?

Any advice is good. Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
When I installed my CAI and Mufflex My MPG actually went down. With the stock setup the same 85 mile trip to work and back I avg 18 MPG now with the CAI and mufflex I avg 17 MPG sometimes a little lower. Im guessing now that more air is going in its throwing more fuel as well. This is on 87 Octane. I hear 89 Octane will give better milage I just havent tried it.

#4 ·
You will be lucky to see a 1 MPG increase with an intake and exhaust on, if any at all. Its all about driving style. What kind of mileage are you getting now? What did you expect to get with a truck?

#5 ·
I dont think there is anything that will show you any significant gains ... You will do the most help by taking the foot off the pedel no matter how many fords and chevs pass by ... great for the fuel economy ... bad for moral. You can add all the flashy do dads costing hundreds of dollars ... but like its been said ... its all in your driving habits when its said and done. Learn that ... then waste your money :)

#6 ·
if an after market add on was available to increase mpg, it would come standard on the truck. dodge wants to improve mpg as much as you do. i often drive like a nearly blind grandpa, keep my tires aired up and get the best mileage possible. i am avg 16 mpg. for what i drive i find this to be outanding mpg. also knowing that the hemi may be the last fun v-8 i ever own, "smaller engines with higher hp are in the future", i still have to take the truck out and slam the pedal to the floor and have fun. my point is, our trucks are never going to get high mpg's, they are what they are. you have three choices, by a more economical beater car for mpg, i never saw this as as a cost effective option, get rid of your truck and get an economic small car, or just enjoy your truck.

#8 ·
My Ram is on a railcar on it's way to me, however when I bought my Dakota way back when it took a good 8 to 10,000 miles before she really settled down and gave great mileage (for a truck). I find with all the trucks I've owned if you keep your foot off the firewall and drive it smart the economy goes way up.

#9 ·
When I read the header I laughed to myself and though..."let go of the gas"!!!! They say the best gas mileage is when your off the gas pedal...see a red light ahead..let go of the gas and roll...coming up to a stop sign....let off the gas and let it roll...in traffic, leave some space in front of you so you can roll...I only have a little over 700 miles on mine now but I'm getting 14mpg for all round driving and we still have the crappy winter gas. Once I'm full broken in and the summer gas is out, I expect to do even better.

Exhaust and a CAI is cool but with the extra rumble you'll probably be into the gas a lot more....lol

#10 ·
When I read the header I laughed to myself and though..."let go of the gas"!!!! They say the best gas mileage is when your off the gas pedal...see a red light ahead..let go of the gas and roll...coming up to a stop sign....let off the gas and let it roll...in traffic, leave some space in front of you so you can roll...I only have a little over 700 miles on mine now but I'm getting 14mpg for all round driving and we still have the crappy winter gas. Once I'm full broken in and the summer gas is out, I expect to do even better.

Exhaust and a CAI is cool but with the extra rumble you'll probably be into the gas a lot more....lol
exactly, the harder you break at lights and stop signs the more gas your going to use, anticipate the lights if possible, this way you can avoid coming to complete stops.

#11 ·
well, right now i average anywhere from 12-16, high way about 19 if im lucky and with a little tail wind. I guess im just not used to it. I had an 03 duramax and i got used to over 400 miles per tank with the same size tank as i have now, but im lucky to get 300 or 320 miles now.

#13 · (Edited)
I now have over 500 miles on my new truck. I have noticed that if I accelerate about 5 mph above hwy speed (65mph) to 70mph and then back off and maintain 65, my computer mpg reads better (16-18mpg) than if I did not back off (14-16). I also have learned to slow down and coast to stops and gradually accelerate. I avg 16.5 mpg hwy and 13 city. With my 4,000lb slide in camper loaded I'm getting around 11.5 mpg hwy.
PS: I am thinking about a Banks system and ram air scoop. Not an expensive MOD and may help some, also like the looks of one...can't hurt :)

#16 ·
Ditto...I've never seen a difference with a cover added....I think that was on Myth Busters too and they found no improvement with a cover or the tail gate off....something about the turbulance created in the bed is a good thing.

#17 ·
i dont want any1 stealing my ideas but i figure if i fill 10 thousand balloons with helium and attach to the bed of my truck and drive down hill with the wind behind me i could shave off a coulple of mpg.this is still in the beginning stages, and if im dumb enough to spend the 1000 dollars it will cost to test this theory than i will certainly post pics and results. ;)

#18 ·
All I know is, I took a lot of crap from friends/family/complete strangers for buying a "gas-guzzler".

Truth be told, I get double the gas mileage on the Dodge than I got on my Ford Explorer.

#20 ·
For Good MPG !

Was told years ago to watch your RPM's on tack ! Watch as you take off (2000 or less) in gear changes ! On major highways 2000 RPM's or less, 66-67 MPH for my truck ! 21-20 MPG highway,18 combined ! Then run the heck out of it, when you not trying to get good MPG ! 76 on INT. 19MPG ! 2011 Quad 4x4 Hemi 3.92 ! Get back Jack !!!

#23 ·
I will have to agree with a few of the other members when answering the OP's question. The only advice that is guaranteed to improve fuel economy is to keep your foot out of it. I drive 60-65 instead of 70-75. I forecast exits and stop lights and try to coast in with as little braking as possible. I pay close attention to the bar graph on the EVIC and try to keep it above the arrow as much as possible.

I feel that I can control my fuel economy by atleast 2 mpg's based on my driving habits alone. I am averaging right at 15 mpg with a 60% highway mix.

I am not stating this as fact but I do feel that I get worse fuel economy with the gas that contain up to 10% ethanol. the last tank that I ran with that shit I got 12.2 so I have avoided that gas station ever since.

#24 ·
I have noticed the same drop when using the 10% added ethanol gas. This makes sense to me. E-85 gas is cheap, but what you gain in savings quickly gets gobbled up by the loss in MPG. When I fill up with "pure" gas, I can average 21-22 on the highway in moderate traffic going into chicago and on the return trip. I would say that my speed would be an average of around 65. If I am driving nice, city and highway average is around 17-18. But, like most people with the HEMI, its damn hard to let that Ford/Chevy/GMC pass you up....... Deuces....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.