DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1994 Ram 1500 Performance

4K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  CavemanX 
#1 ·
I recently got my first truck, a 1992 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.2, and was wondering what mods I can do to it to get better gas mileage. I wanted to put a performance chip in it, but noticed the thing has no OBD connector. Is there still a way I can put one on?

#2 ·
The early MAGs were pretty much limited to the Mopar Performance ECM. Seems like Jet offered something back then, but things didn't really open up til the OBD II systems. You do have the best of the Magnum OEM exhaust systems. They're bigger internally at 2 1/8", while all later units are 1 7/8" internally. Bigger passages, better flow, more HP.

#7 ·
I think you are pretty limited with the "bolt on" instant gratification "plug n play" additions. How many Miles are on your truck, What kind of miles are you pulling? Auto or manual?
Here are some of the easy not highly mechanical you can do things to do:
And don't skimp if you actually want results, Like a good Mobil 1 or Royal purple synthetic oil. and good spark items.

E3 Diamond Fire Plugs
MSD Cap and Rotor
MSD Coil & Adapter
MSD Plug Wires
New Tensioner Pully
New Serpintine Belt
Synthetic 0W30 Oil Change with High quality filter( I recommend Royal P, gets finer impurities)
Synthetic Diff Oil Change
Synthetic Transfercase Oil Change
Synthetic Tranny Oil Change, if automatic a good filter
Add Lucas oil stabilizer to all oiling systems
Flush cooling system
Proper Tire Pressure
Remove ALL unwanted Lbs
Cold Air Intake
Run Lucas injector cleaner with gas (double up first tank, then the 3oz per 10gal the rest of the bottle)
Take the throttle body off and clean it so its not all gunked up.

If you want to do a little more and dont want to rip into the engine to far
Add a lighter fan, or ditch the mechanical and go to an electric mounted on the radiator

You can also do a few mods that have been discussed on here( just search them):
The ball pen throttle cable mod
The intake wing shave mod
The Kegger mod.
For the better of your future while your intake is off, invest in a Hughes Plenum Kit. Will make your life easer, you wont have to spend as much money on plenum gaskets and burnt up oil.

#8 ·
Also Congradulations on getting a truck!
I forgot a couple other things to pertain to 4x4

If your running 35"+ tires, you might want to look into gearing up to like a 4.10 in you diffs

Another addition would be a Posi-Lok system if your really into four wheeling or are wanting to make it a weekend wheeler. You wont have to rely on the vacuum to engage your 4x4. Also this gives you a low gear in your rear, Helps with like towing or rearend "diggs"

Also check this out its a pretty sweet episode that was one quite a few years ago:
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/XT2010-23/fuel-saving-street-truck-start-to-finish

If you need help with anything else, just jump on here there are plenty of guys willing to help you out. and dont be afraid to ask even if it seems like a dumb question, ask it you will become smarter.

#9 ·
Thanks cdetterer! I'm already getting a cold air intake, and was thinking about electric fans, and cleaning up my throttle body. Although, some electric fans are quite expensive. Does anyone know of a cheap setup to buy, or what all I should buy? Big newbie, and want to gain some knowledge.

#10 ·
Check out Summit Racing or Jegs They have some good kits that have the mounting hardware and wiring. Most of them are pretty reasonable, like $100-$150.
Best thing I can say for gaining knowledge is research. You know read what you can. Then when you have repairs to do, look up how to do them yourself. It also saves some money. But be sure you know how to the project start to finish before you start taking stuff apart.
You can always ask questions on here, I know I have felt like I have some really no brainer questions and all the guys on here are extremely helpful, so dont be afraid to ask.

#17 ·
Not to steal the thread here, but I'm basically doing the same things and one of the comments caught my attention. So far I've added 4.10 gears to match my 35s, a CAI, and catback Flowmaster dual exhaust. Soon I'll be adding Gibson headers and an electric fan (maybe 2..is two worth it or will one be okay?).

Anyways, I noticed someone mention if you go too in depth you'll have to get a new PCM--should I be worried about that already? And if not, when does that become an issue?

#21 ·
Actually, you don't need computer work unless you're pushing towards 350hp. The stock 5.2 OBD I will accomodate a Magnum RT cam (not the cam from a Dakota RT), headers and free-flowing exhaust and a supercharger running around 8psi. This was done back in the day with the 1992 Dodge Dakota 5.2. Initially, they tried the Mopar Perfoemance aftermarket computer, but it dialed in too much ignition timing for the supercharger, so they went back to the stock computer. Later, with even more gas-hungry mods, they went back to the hotter PCM to get fatter fuel curves and had to put in an in-line timing retard for supercharger applications. First and foremost, you want to get a computer-friendly cam. Keep the gross lift at or below 0.500 inches, keep duration under say around 210 degrees, and keep a wide lobe separation of 112-114 degrees. This will give good flow while limiting overlap. That keeps the manifold vacuum high, and the computer happy.Point being, the stock PCM will handle a lot. One other thing the 5.2 guys would do would be to swap in the 5.9 computer since the pin-outs were the same (on the OBD I's). That gave much fatter fuel curves for the 5.2 to play with if heavily modded.

#28 ·
Looking good dude. You notice any difference with the projector headlights? I'm trying to figure out which style I should go with to get rid of these crappy 2nd gen pieces. And from what I've read on the forums, the TB mod is definitely worth it. I haven't done it myself (not that experienced, personally) but I do want to get it done sometime soon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.