DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Use heat or just drill?

• Drill it out first?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use heat first?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Need a vote / help removing a cooler line fitting...

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  ramvan2500 
#1 ·
Well I noticed one day my ram van was leaking some transmission fluid along with it's water leak which I still haven't fixed yet. Anyways I saw that my inlet cooler line assembly had busted so I ordered a new one from autozone and I went to install it and of course it wouldn't install cause Dodge doesn't use those quick connects anymore and a recall was made in 1997 for my van and they never were replaced but beside the point I had to order a adapter fitting that is the current standard. Well I got the adapter fitting and it didn't want to go in cause the threads were ruined I guess and I didn't have a tap tool so I figured to take my old fitting and put it in and out to remove dirt etc from the threads well I started to screw it in and then the head of the fitting snapped off. Well I ended up buying an easy out fitting extractor and well that didn't work at all the fitting is really stuck in there so I ended up just trying to drill it out, well I drilled a little bit of the fitting cause I didn't have the right sized bit but I bought the right size bit today a titanium one.

Well I need I guess a vote or some kind of help idea as to getting it out, I don't want to drill it right away because I already tried that and drilled part of it out and the housing is aluminum and I don't want to damage the housing anymore then I already did. So I was thinking since aluminum expands at a quicker rate then steel and brass then possibly I could use my torch and just remove it this way??? My last resort is to drill it and if I screw up the housing then off to the bone yard for a transmission bell housing...

So my vote is to use heat or just drill? And if there are any other ideal suggestions to removing what is left of the fitting please by all means tell me cause I would hate to drop the transmission and replace the bell housing because of a little 15 dollar quick connect and and idiot (me) who snapped the fitting off.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I ended up drilling it today... Got it out :) Later I am going to drill the whole to 1/2" then tap it and put a 1/2" to 3/8" fitting in or a 1/2" to 1/4"-18 NPT Bushing. I might just do the direct 1/2" to 3/8" fitting since I already have it, went to home depot and got it. I have to order a 1/2" TAP though... But other then that it's looking pretty good so far. I just have to remember to take the tran pan off and make sure that 1/2" isn't to big that there is no wall's for threading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.