DODGE RAM FORUM banner

what consists of a tune up?

62K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Pull Ya 
#1 ·
what consists of a tune up? and is it a 30,000 mile service?

#3 · (Edited)
thank you, they want almost 600.00 USD to do a tune up

they claim i should have the intake cleaned, plugs changed, rear diff fluid changed, and filters replaced. should i have this done to a truck with 38,000 miles? and how come they are telling me i need this done now when i have had the truck in to them much sooner and several times.

#6 ·
I dunno... :4-dontknow:
I wouldn't even consider plug until either 60,000mi or performance issues, which ever came first. As for filters (Not including oil filter), they only need to be replaced if they are noticeably dirty... and that is not a mileage thing. If you do a lot of gravel roads, then you'll be replacing them a lot sooner, but if you are in a high humidity area and only ever drive asphalt, then they last much longer. If there's a reduction in mileage or performance, checking the air filter is great starting point.
For $600.....Air Filter + Plugs + Differencial oil change + 96 beers! Maybe!

G
#8 ·
Plugs, filters, trans & differential service are 30K service items on my '07. Dealer wanted almost $700. I did the plugs, had a lube/oil/filter done at a local lube shop, went to a trans shop to get the trans service. All that was less than $200.

#9 ·
wow thanks i will go somewhere eles then

#11 ·
You might want to read the owners manual on page 482 "Required Maintenance Intervals" because just like Randy said, you MUST change spark plugs out at 30K miles. But I guess if you are going to do all your own maintenance, then you probably don't have to worry too much about "MUST" until something goes wrong.

#12 ·
Well I'm about to reach the wonderful 50,000 :SHOCKED: mile mark early next week. I bought the truck with 34k in April of last year. Only thing that has been done to it is oil changes (and my CAI upgrade) since I've had it. I was thinking of changing the plugs, maybe upgrading the wires and distributer cap. I'll contact a local tranny dealer for differential fluid change prices. Anything else I should look into? Maybe radiator flush? I figure 50k and she's just getting broken in, at least that was the case with my last pickup LONG time ago.

#15 ·
when ever you do any work on your vehicle at any place other than the dealership, be sure to document it, like with an oil change, keep the sales ticket of the purchase, then write down the mileage & date that you or someone else did the service. If at a later time there is a warranty issue, you have the paper work to defend yourself

#16 ·
I agree--for 1k they are fix'n to tune you up--not your truck!! Most of that stuff you can do yourself or find a friend that can help you. If you can't I'd shop around a little.
Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.