DODGE RAM FORUM banner

shifting in steering wheel

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  GearHd6 
#1 ·
I can't figure this out, there is no noise that I can hear but when I stop it feels like something shifts. I can feel it in the steering wheel and can also feel it when taking off. It does feel like the steering wheel moves but pushing or pulling on it doesn't move. So I'm puzzled. its a 99 sport with 108k
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Ball joint, idler arm, tie rod end, a arm bushings. Your pick, jack the truck up get a crow bar start pulling pushing see whats loose. But be safe! Use jack stands level surface, block wheels.

#3 ·
Hmmmmmm, I think I know what he's talking about because mine does it too. It feels like it's in the column somewhere. I'm thinking mine is inside the cab somewhere and I have to check the u-joint in the column.

It's a really weird feeling and now I have a reason to try to figure it out.

It doesn't do it all the time but occasionally when I start off, if there's a small bump there.

I know I need a stabilizer link kit and was waiting until I did that to see if it got any better. But it really does feel like it's inside the cab.

I know this didn't help much but now I'll look into it sooner and get back.

I've done all the pushing and pulling on it that I can and I truly think that if I jack up the front of the truck and get it just right it'll be the u-joint. It only seems to do it when there's no tension on the wheel. Hence the split second I feel it at a stop or a bump.

#5 ·
I don't know your particular vehicle, but most of the steering columns are fastened to the lower dash by 2 bolts, then the column passes through the firewall & there is a universal joint & usually a rubber vibration reducer or RAG JOINT that is fastened on by small bolts, then below that is usually another U joint, or Borgeson joint, just before the Steering box

I found a site that likely is better than my explanation
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/Dodge_Ram_Truck_Steering_Shafts-orderby_0-p-1-c-109.html

#6 ·
Annoying Steering Column

As luck would have it...when I parked my truck tonight, I happened to hit the (un)sweet spot.

I've narrowed it down a little but can't find an exploded view. Actually I narrowed it down a lot.

There has to be a bearing that I can't see behind the knee bolster. It feels like it's about 6 inches from the wheel itself.

If I hold the wheel and put my hand on the outer cover (metal) of the column I can feel it higher than my left hand and lower than my right hand that's on the wheel.

Therefore: there has to be a bearing there to keep it centered in the shaft housing (holes in it that I can see the inside moving).

Okay I found it, now you get to tell me what it's called and where I can get one.

TAG! you're it!

#7 · (Edited)
Hey Warlock. Change the track rod end , its shifting on the ball on the drivers side. I'd bet on it... Get a Lukes Link off the web, $70 one time and your problems are gone, if you have an angle grinder, changing the end is no big deal, and it's rebuildable, though I've never had to, and oh, what a difference in steer slop, you won't believe it. They also make em for all your tie rod ends, it saves a lot of cash, especially on the long tierod, and the track rod. Try it first, you won't be disappointed.I used to buy track rods for one or the other of my trucks every year... no more. If I ever get around to putting my 70 Runner back on the road, its going to get a full set of lukes links, I swear...

#8 ·
Nope. Everything under the truck is new. It's definitely in the column. No play, no pull, no drifting, tight as can be.

Just an annoying feeling right under the steering wheel. Key on, engine running, move the wheel side to side (turn/spin) and it's noticeable in the column.

I just need an exploded view of the column (M/T) to see what bearing is up there within 6-8 inches of the wheel.

I love almost all Lucas products. I tell people that the main ingredient is pixie dust.

#9 ·
Well, if it isn't that track rod end, I am truly shocked, and hope I don't get the same symptoms, I used to get a horrible clunk in the steering, when the trackrod ballsocket would get sloppy, Once you open one up, you'll see what a ripoff they are, as the manufacturer builds them, put together to fail!!! I'm sure if I opened up my steer columns, I'd screw up the clockspring mechanism, and I'd rather not, I'm not an airbag fan anyhow. Pixie dust is a totally believable ingredient in that additive, and I'm not much on miracle cures, but that stuff works great, I stick a little in everything, including differentials!!!

#10 ·
It's just a really weird feeling. It I turn the wheel back and forth probably not more that 3 degrees it can be felt in the steering wheel. If I contort myself under the dash I can feel it right around the knee bolster within a foot of the wheel. If anyone has an exploded view of the column I'd really appreciate it. I keep forgetting to check ALLDATA at work to see it there's a schematic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.