DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oh man, life threw me a curveball.. 1500 or 2500?

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  brad12kx 
#1 ·
So as you guys know I was all set to order a 1500 Regular Cab. Don't get me started on why I want a Regular Cab, I do. :) Real truck experience, etc etc. Anyway, I was going to jump on the Adventurer deal, but my dealer came back with one hell of a temptation.

A 2500 (!!!) HD Outdoorsman with the V8 for a hell of a price (not much more). Yeah it's not the Cummins, but a 2500 Outdoorsman just looks like one bad ass regular cab truck. It's got this mean off road look combined with the 2500 stance,

So here's my question for you guys 1500 or 2500??

#3 ·
1500 if all you do is drive on roads, just a transportation vehicle, like a car with a truck bed
2500 if you use a dirt road, pull a trailer, a bit heavier duty than a car with a truck bed
they look basically the same, same engine & transmission, rear end differential is heavier duty
2500 do not have the MDS, they always use all 8 cylinders, unlike the 1500 that shut off 4 cylinders when all 8 are not really needed
people with 1500s pay high money for tuners that make all cylinders work all the time

from there you have rear differential axle gears, 3.21 if you just want good mileage & never need to pull anything, best gas mileage
3.55 a little higher pulling power, like pulling a small aluminum boat & trailer to the lake or river
3.92 for pulling heavier boats, trailers, etc.
4.11 has about the best pulling power
4.56 if you want to drag race at the track, or pull a barn to a new location

#6 ·
As has been said, all depends on how you intend to use your truck, but sounds like you'd be getting an awesome deal on the Outdoorsman and I gotta say, those are sweet! :smileup:

- Cajun

#9 ·
I have to agree with everyone above. It depends on what your plans are for the truck.

#12 ·
My two cents is to get whatever you want! :) Basically if the pricepoint fits, I'd get the 3/4 ton because it'll be all the truck you'll ever need. It'll satisfy the little stuff and the big stuff. When I had a 3/4 ton, on the occasion I, or a friend, needed something heavier pulled, hauled, or yanked out...I was the guy.

#13 ·
i say that is you arnt looking for pure speed, but some offroading fun and toy hauling and you dont care about gas prices then go 2500, but if you prefer the extra comfort of soft suspention, extra speed and look close to gas prices, go with the 1500

#15 ·
I know so many people who have 2500 and 3500s who have never used them and complain about the ride and the fuel mileage.
I was trying to convince my dad to get a new powerwagon but he wouldnt cave since he would'nt ever use it for anything but the winch (we have other toys for the woods so a $45k trucks the last thing he would take)

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.