DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Dealer B.S. Is for the better?

4K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  CustomShirts 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

The regulars on here know that I ordered a 2010 Laramie last week from my local Dealer (Manfredi). First we tried to locate a truck and could not find anything within 200 miles that matched what I wanted. I could have gotten one but with the light pebble interior but I need to have the dark slate interior. the sales rep assured me they can order my truck from the factory built out as I wanted it. Spent 2 hours going over all the options etc... and put together a build out. Put down a $5,000 deposit to show I'm serious about getting the truck, etc. I was so thrilled and signed up on this forum later that night.

Yesterday I get a call from another dealer asking if I was still in the market for a 1500. I told him I got one on order and thanked him for following up. he said... that's impossible the factory is not taking orders. They stopped 2 weeks ago??? That's when I started to think... I have been asking for the VON number and keep getting put off to the next day. So now Im thinking maybe I cant order one. Wondering why the dealer would take the order and deposit and string me along.

Then I read online where someone had the same problem with a different manufacturer and dealer, and he ended up getting a deal on something off the lot in stead so he settled. I wonder if my dealer is trying to do the same thing. String me along for a few weeks just so I go in and settle.

Laramie's in my area are starting to become scarce with the deals they are running, not to mention trying to find a white one with slate interior. So I spent most of my night and early morning on Dodge's website researching over 500 miles around me (which is tricky to do with their system of 200 mile radius). I ended up finding 2 trucks in PA about 350 miles away that are available... very similar options.. both are missing the bed liner.

That's where it may be for the better. Once i signed up here I was almost regretting some of the options i included... such as the bed-liner. Even though I am tossed between the carpet one or the spray on... I know for sure I rather not have the drop in. :)

I called my dealer this morning.. and i asked for the VON. He said they don't have it its the end of the month. I told him I heard that they could not order new builds anymore more and I'm concerned about getting what I want... so I told him if I don't get a confirmation that the truck is order-able or a VON by Today I will cancel the order and go with another brand.

He called about 1/2 hour ago and said I was right... he cant order the truck, they tried and was unable to. He said he contacted his distribution mgr and he will try to order it, if not, if they need to arrange a transfer from several 100 miles a way they will do so. He asked me to give him until Monday.

So to those of you looking to buy a new Ram... Dealers Can Not Order Anything From Factory at this time!

While Im giving him until Monday... I got smart... I called both dealers... and told them if I give them a deposit will they hold the truck I wont be able to get there for 2-3 days to look at it. Both agreed to hold it with a $500 refundable deposit... so by Monday if I don't show up the car will no longer be on hold... and I will be refunded.

So If my truck cant be ordered (now without the bedliner) then I can get one of the located ones and have them on hold so I don't lose the only two I found in some 500+ miles from me.

I win either way, but it just annoys me that dealers play this game to try to move vehicles from inventory. I know that rams are selling well. In the past 2 weeks dealers on hand inventory have dropped based on what i can search on Dodge.com. So I don't get it. If you cant order a car, tell the customer and then help the customer from whats out there. Dont waste time because as time passes, the customer's opportunities are closing every day.

Just had to vent a little. Sorry

Tim

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow.....We have bought many vehicles and never ordered one. I am unfamiliar with this 'selling' tactic. I know that I was at our local 5 star dealer for service today and there wasn't but 7 Rams TOTAL on the lot when they are usually loaded up with them. You're right, the deals are astronomical! Best of luck, please keep us posted.

#6 ·
I would be pissed Tim. To know that they took my money knowing that they were unable to produce AND to continue to string it along... I'd pull out of that dealership right now 'cuz you know that you can't trust them. If you've located other rams with what you want, then go for the known entity.

#8 ·
I am pissed. I was so excited to order the truck. It just irritates me that they would do something like that to string a customer along. If yu cant order one.. say so. This is 2010... I can research vehicle availability on my own online if you dont want to be bothered.

Dont string along thinking I will buy something off the lot.. because if ya got something on the lot I wanted... I would have done that. I will give them until Monday as they asked.. otherwise I will go out to PA to one of the 2 dealers directly.

- Tim

G
#7 ·
I don't know that it's a "tactic" so much as it is just not knowing whether or not they can place an order and certainly wanting to record a sale, even if it's a future delivery sale.

So, I chalk it up to stupidity on the sales side. Kinda sad, really.

Hang in there, Tim and don't "settle". They can find you want you want and don't let them tell you different or limit their search to a mere few hundred miles. Work 'em hard!

#10 ·
Thats what I thought. I thought they could look it up rather easily what everyone has inventory.

But here's where I get annoyed. Every day I have been asking for the VON Number... and just today... 7 days after I gave a deposit and ordered the truck you try to first place the order? If they did that Monday... I would have opt for one of the trucks I did find... or maybe found one even closer... and rather then be writing on here... I could be outside installing LEDS and doing stuff. :)

But I will await to Monday and see what happens.

Im just so damn excited to get into the truck you know?

I was not like this with the Hummer or Caddy... Sure I was excited but the Ram is MINE. And finding this forum has made me want it even that much more. :smileup:

#12 ·
When I get my truck... oh there will be a party! I will have a BBQ at my house.. and im sure I will stop and talk with other Ram owners in my travels. I travel to Florida 4 times a year... To Pigeon Forge 2 times a year and Chicago once a year. Im sure there are lots of people who live off those travel routes... and I can always drop by like family for some BBQ. :)

- Tim

#16 ·
Wow man that seems like a pretty shitty time! i would be really pissed if they played me like that. I would be telling them to give me what I want or else!

The bedliner is not a big issue. It would be better to not have one and get the spray on liners. These liners are far supperior to the drop in. If you want to put stuff in the back the spray on liner holds it in place and also protects the trucks bed and paint back there.

Well I hope that you get everything that you wanted buddy! Let us know how things work out! We all understand that sometimes you need to vent! you picked the right place to do so haha!

Good luck bud!!!

#19 ·
Well I hope that you get everything that you wanted buddy! Let us know how things work out! We all understand that sometimes you need to vent! you picked the right place to do so haha!

Good luck bud!!!
Thanks Im sure I will one way or another. The good thing is if I do accept one of the trucks from PA... I will get it sooner. So thats what I am leaning towards anyway. On Monday I will go to the dealer around 1 PM... which gives them more then enough time to figure out whats happening in detroit. And if not... They can arrange the location swap or what ever it is they do.

NOT GOING TO SETTLE. Thats for sure!

If you guys seen my picture... then you all know one of my best friend is an attorney... and he has no problem helping me bring fourth legal action if necessary against someone. I read the sales order very carefully. A dealer can cancel an order and not be held liable if the dealer is not negligent. Taking a custom order and deposit knowing you cant order from the factory is Negligent.

So they have to Monday to see if this Dist. Mgr can order the ride or not. Either way, I think Im going to opt for them to search and get it for me.

Thanks for all the support everyone. I told my wife about this and she was like.. pick another truck or do without some options. LOL She just doesnt get it. Thats what I would normally do when leasing. But now that I am buying it... i want exactly what I want.

- Tim

#17 ·
Geez, talk about a crock of crap! Ok, let's just say, hypothetically and to give them the benefit of the doubt here, they really weren't sure when they took your order AND your money if they could even order the truck. I agree with MADDOG, chalk it up to stupidity on their part, but they sat on this for that long even with you calling, PO'd would be putting it mildly if it were me! Doubt you would have heard from them regularly on the status if you hadn't been the one to call for starters, but where is the communication with the customer here??? And then they have the nerve to ask you to give them until Monday??? Heck no my friend, I sympathize with ya'! I almost ordered a vehicle, but the day or two before, one came in that was what I was going to order, with a few more features on it mind you, but I didn't feel I was settling and we still struck a good price. If they have Saturday hours, I would march my happy self in and get my money back and take Monday to get my truck!!! Best of luck to ya' and definitely keep us posted!

- Cajun

#18 ·
And then they have the nerve to ask you to give them until Monday??? Heck no my friend, I sympathize with ya'! I almost ordered a vehicle, but the day or two before, one came in that was what I was going to order, with a few more features on it mind you, but I didn't feel I was settling and we still struck a good price.

- Cajun
I agree with you and earlier I went to the dealer and my sales guy went home early. This weekend i will be in Allen Town PA for some training... so there's not much I can do myself this weekend anyways... so He has until Monday.

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road... and it will be smooth driving from here.

- Tim

#20 ·
I see what they are doing, they want to sell what is on their lot, eff them, get what YOU WANT, production is now way up & some trucks only have a 6 week build, if another lot has close to what YOU want, get it, forget about the drop in bedliner, it never really fits. get a spray in liner, about the same cost, either Line_X or that other product. Don't settle for less than what YOU WANT

#21 ·
I hate to hear this kind of situation. Get yor money back and then PM me and I'll hook you up with a dealer here. I know a family owned dealer here in Houston who can get whatever you are looking for (tons of RAM's here in Texas), and they'll usually price it $100 above invoice if the transfer isn't too challenging. You can fly direct from Newark to Houston and then drive it home with pride and a smile. Don't listen to the silly commercials, Texas gets along great with New York City! (I was there a few years myself before anchoring here for the last 16 years). Let me know if I can help.

#22 ·
Hey Razor... Thanks for the offer. If I have any issues... I will check out Dodge's site to see what they have available by you. Thanks for the offer to assist me if need be.

It would be goo dto get back to texas anyways.... last time I was there was in DFW for a single over-night stay for a business meeting. Did not get to see much of anything. :(

Thanks again and I will keep everyone posted!!

Tim

#25 · (Edited)
Update!!

So I waited until Monday as I said I would and my salesman called me and told me that they secured one of the trucks I found in PA. But he wanted to wait until the end of the day to see if the Distribution Manager was able to locate the truck in Detroit Inventory built the way I want it.

Today, Tues... I just got a call from my salesman telling me they do not have the truck with my build-out in inventory in Detroit and I am unable to order it. However, the are getting the truck they secured for me in PA on Thurs! I can take delivery on Friday or Saturday.

So what's the difference? I ordered a truck with a drop in bed-liner... but turns out I rather not have it. The Truck from PA does not have a bed-liner. so that worked out to my advantage. I will just have to find a local Spray liner installer.

As for the Bed Cover... Mopar does not make it in Bright White, so I either have to get stone white and have it re-painted... which Im not so crazy about, or the dealer offers Century Covers, which Im not so crazy about as I have not ready anything about them really on this forum. So I have to try to go and see what I can get off my truck price wise to help cover the cost of a Liner from Leer.

So I may have my truck by the weekend. So this is one of those deals where the dealer B.S. turned out to be the better for the customer.

I would have regretted the drop in liner based on all the info I red on the forumz and would have had that huge bulky thing sitting somewhere in my warehouse.

I will keep you all advised as to how this proceeds and better yet if I pick up on Friday or Saturday!!

Thank you all for your support.

- Tim

#28 · (Edited)
I checked with 2 other dealers both said they could not order now either? So maybe it depends on regional allocation? Whats in inventory waiting for shipping to the North East Dealers etc? I dont know. To be honest I dont care how I get my truck, just as long as I can get it... with the options I want and if I can get it this week rather then the 8-10 weeks or even 6-8 weeks... Im even happier. :ura1:

It does amaze me that this day in age, that dealers are still or attempting to blow smoke up people's butts to sell a car. I have leased a great many vehicles in the past 15-18 years or so. And well awayr of the "Talk to my sales manager" or the "giving it to you at $500 above cost" games.

What does the internet have to do with the B.S. they pull? Knowing the internet has an effect, I think for most dealers it has a positive effect, and for those who do not employ the use of the internet close down. My favorite dodge dealer was Old Country Dodge in long Island. A 5-Star Dealer. Got 3 Durangos from them... and loved them so much I drve the 70 miles just to get my services from them.

Bit they closed down???? I dont get it. In 1998, when durangos first came out, they had the highest number of durangos sold in the tri-state area. How do you go from number 1 to number 0 and closing down? Internet? They never went online... and never wanted to deal with the internet customer.

I think a lot of the bigger city dealers feel internet is annoying and a hassle where most people just call or email for a price etc.

These dealers know what they all pay, and they know what their competition is doing. So why play the games and waste time and lose sales. Just keep the customer happy and make the sale. As long as their is profit... then you did good. Does it have to be a gross amount of profit? In my book selling something for a profit is PROFIT... and better then not selling anything at all. Or as I heard someone say once...

When you are hungry, a small bite of a sandwich is better then watching someone else eat and you have nothing at all. :)

Tim

#30 ·
a friend of mine doesn't want to deal with sales persons, with the old line of 'I'll check with the sales manager to see if we can do that' BS
he buys his vehicles right over the internet, through the internet sales person, gets what he wants & at a lower price

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.