DODGE RAM FORUM banner

dealer refuses to do warranty work....

12K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Lockey 
#1 ·
i have had my truck for 2 weeks and have my first problem. the horn went out... while this is a simple problem, it has brought up a whole new issue....

when i purchased my truck, i drove 3 and a half hours away from my home to get it. because my local dealer didnt have any inventory, and could not get me a truck... so they told me about another dealer that could help me out....

i bought the truck at the other dealer, when i went into my local dealer they refused to work on my truck because i bought my truck at their competition (even though they told me to go there) after talking with the service manager he told me there was nothing he could do...i asked him if i moved from another province would he do warranty work.... he said yes... because some how thats "different".

i called Chrysler .... who has filed some sort of escalation and are working on something... even though i have not herd from them in 1 week.... Chrysler did tell me that a dealer can refuse to work on my truck because each dealer is independently owned ... but they states they will still try to work something out.

what im looking for from you, is any advice that you may have, or what my next steps should be, i NEVER had to fight with gm about warranty issues like this.... and i think this is very childish on the dealers part....

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Warranty is covered by Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge and NOT the dealer.

They should not, as a good business practice, deny you warranty service nor should CJD allow them to. The "independent business" line is pure BS. Tell CJD that they need to honor their warranty and their franchisee is compelled to do so.

Further, tell your freakin' stoopid ass dealer that if they had gone to get you the truck or provided a better level of sales service, you would have gotten the truck from them.

Lastly, tell the jerks to **** OFF and take care of business.

That is sooo much freakin' BS it's unbelievable.

#5 ·
this may be old info

Contacting Chrysler

Call 1-800-992-1997 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-992-1997 end_of_the_skype_highlighting to speak with Chrysler Customer Service. (USA only).
Other numbers that have been suggested are: 1-800-763-8422 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-763-8422 end_of_the_skype_highlighting and 1-800-227-0757 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-227-0757 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Send suggestions and complaints to:

Chrysler Customer Center
Box 302
Centerline
MI 48015.

Canadians, write to

Chrysler Center
Box 1621, Windsor
Ontario N9A 4H6

or call 800-465-2001 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 800-465-2001 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

The best way to contact Chrysler is by phone. Though there are times when the phone system is overloaded, the normal waiting time seems to be less than five minutes. Many letters go into a black hole!

A reader reported two fax numbers (don't expect your faxes to be read by the addressee):

Thomas Stallkamp (President) 1-248-512-1746 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-248-512-1746 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Robert Eaton (CEO) 1-248-512-5143 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-248-512-5143 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

read for yourself
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/warranty_trbl.htm

#6 ·
You said the Service Manager said no. Did you go speak to his/her boss, the General Manager?

#7 ·
I am shocked :SHOCKED: an appalled. I seems to me that your dealer wasn't able to get you a truck because their business practice has hurt their business so much that they are the cause of the 'unable to supply' scenario, and don't even understand why. :4-dontknow:

If I was in that predicament, I would go to the dealer....specifically the general manager and ask the following questions...in order -

1. Are you aware that I came to your dealership to buy a truck ?
2. Are you aware that I was informed that you could not supply me with a truck?
3. Are you aware that it was your dealership that directed me to an alternate dealership to purchase my truck?
4. Are you aware that, on the advice of your dealership, I purchased my truck from the dealership you recommended?

Now that you ARE aware of your dealerships role in my truck purchase .....

5. Are you aware that your dealership has refused to accommodate my warranty service requirements.
6. Are you aware of the negative affect this kind of business decision can have on your dealership?
7. Are you going to correct this situation in an effort to show the worthiness of your dealership in the hopes that I and my friends will seriously consider your dealership during our next vehicle purchase decision?
If the answer is yes, go to question 8 (alternate)
If the answer is no.......
8. Are you aware that you may have made the single worst decision of your career as the general manager of this dealership?

I would hope that I wouldn't have to go any further than question #1.....#3 at the worst, but regardless, the questions would skip to #8 (alternate) upon the first indication that the situation was been 'Taken Care Of'.

8 (alternate). (Used to confirm a 'Positive' outcome) Are you aware that your decision to 'Make This Right' is possibly the best decision you have made today, and has already made a positive difference in the way I view your dealership?

But that's just me......I don't get mad.....I ask the questions that I, as a businessman, would never want to have to answer......thereby giving them to opportunity to 'Do the Right Thing'. Afterwords, I discuss my experiences with my friends, business acquaintances and family over coffee/lunch/dinner. I try to emphasize how well I was treated as a customer, and to use my name when shopping there. My dealerships, and all other businesses, always treat me well....even when I buy a different brand from a 'Real' competitor.

I wish you all the success in getting this resolved. It is always comforting to know that you have a service center close to home, but don't sell your sole to get it!

#8 ·
That's grade A bull. Chrysler should take care of it for you when you get to speak to the correct person. The dealers being independantly owned line is BS. That's true but as a chrysler franchise they have certain responsabilities as well. If Chrysler stands behind their products thehy need to enforce that even if the only way to enfore it is to pull the franchise license. They can do that, it's within their rights. It's time for auto makers to stand up to franchise owners taht are giving them a bad name.

Threaten both the dealer and Chrysler with the press too. Tell them you'll write letters to the newspapers and will the news if this doesn't get taken care of. This usually get's people to snap into line ... just be prepared to follow through if needbe. This is somthing you will need to speak to the GM about as well. Sorry to say to but time to go over the service managers head.

Now there is one last issue, and this one sucks, once you force them to comply (and I'm sure they will given teh correct leverage) you need to decide if you want they under your hood at this point. Kind of like eatting at a resturant where you pissed on the wait staff.

#10 ·
thank you everyone for all the help, and comments! really makes me feel good knowing people understand what im going through.

Chrysler called me back today, said they havent forgotten about me, and they have a complaint sent to the dealer, and they are still working with escalations to have issue resolved... so its nice to know that they are doing all they can right now....

if they cant do anything, im gonna do alot of things that you guys told me to do..... and if all else fails im going to contact the media, and going to get a big vinyl sticker made for the side of my truck with the dealerships name on it stating they will not honor warranty.... and not to buy there.... my buddy who also has a ram is going to do the same thing! .... it may be time to start getting dirty.... i will only do that as a last resort..... (if it do happen, pictures to follow :D )

#11 ·
With the attitude that they have already displayed toward your problem, plus the fact that you have made an offical complaint, which may very well force them to repair your vehicle, my best advise would be that when(if) they repair your truck, I'd stand over them like a hawk to insure that something is not done to your vehicle out of spite. I'm sure that some things can be done to your truck that cause no apparent problem right now, but in a month or so you may find you have some problems start to arise.
Jay

#13 ·
wow that suxe dude never herd of anything like that before and even if the head office figures something out and that dealer will fix the problem now i still wouldnt go back there and just for all the hassle i would do the whole sticker thing anyway

#16 ·
Believe me, when Chrysler receives or sends out what is called, ESCALATE, that means to seriously get on their butts, in the Chrysler speak, it doesn't get much harsher. you can ask a General Manger to ESCULATE a problem to to CHRYSLER & they make a formal request to Chrysler to cover a problem that they can't authorize themselves

#18 · (Edited)
just an update for you all, Chrysler states they cannot force the dealer to help me.... says they are still working on it, Chrysler wants me to take my truck to another shop in town (any shop) and have them fix it with Chrysler parts... i would have to pay upfront, and they would repay me......... i disagreed..... that was the last i herd from them.... i think its complete bull sh!t...

#20 ·
I'd have taken the offer provided I got it in writing from Chrysler.

#19 ·
That's insane. I understand Chrysler not being able to force them to do anything. I don't understand the dealers position. I'd take the deal. Have another shop do it and let them repay you. I'm a bit surprised they offered that. I would have thought they'd make you go to the next closest dealer.

#23 ·
Seems to me that Chrysler is holding out an opportunity to get your truck fixed and they are going to foot the bill.

Just because its a GM dealer doesn't make any difference. Get the offer in writing from Chrysler and take the truck to the GM dealer and get it fixed.

I'm sure Ramtech doesn't work only on Chrysler products and I didn't work only on Mitsubishi and Honda products when I was trying to become a tech in the 90's.

#24 ·
well ramtech, they were going to pay everything, parts and labor.... the offer still stands.... Rootbeer, im aware that gm works on other products, it just dosnt seam right taking a brand new truck to a gm dealer, and having to foot the bill, untill Chrysler pays me back, thats money i will have tied up when i shouldnt have to.... what happens if i loose a engine, or tranny....... max out a credit card?? i love my truck, and everything about it. but i hate the issue, im really starting to think i should of bought the Chev :(

#25 ·
All I can do is shake my head. :4-dontknow: This is absolute BS that you have to go through this. The warranty booklet that came with my RAM states the following,

"Warranty service must be done by an authorized Chrysler Retailer. We recommend that you return to your selling retailer for this service; however, you may request warranty service for your vehicle from any Chrysler Retailer. See “How to Get Service” on page 17."

I have never heard of anything like this before, that dealership should have their franchise pulled.

#26 ·
I would ask them to cover your mileage also as I know there are not a lot of dealerships in NFLD. Especially if you have one in your town and they want to send you to another dealership miles away.

#27 ·
I would be rushing to the GM dealer to get my truck fixed....My sign would say XXXXX wont service my truck because I did not buy from them I get my warranty service from xxxx Gm and they treat me right!.....I'm sure the GM dealer would be happy for the free ad and it would piss off the dodge dealer for sure. that sticker would be on my tailgate as long as I owned the truck and a picture of it would be sent to chrysler head office

This is one shitty way to do business!!!

#28 ·
Where I live I know almost everyone that works at the Dodge dealership and the GM dealership, and for that reason you bet your a$$ I'm going to the GM dealership just for the fact that I prefer experienced guys and not tweeked out kids working on my truck. It's sad that some dealerships just don't seem to care but it is what it is. Good Luck !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.