DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ball joints

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Okiespaniels 
#1 ·
I was looking up parts for my '97 Ram, and I see there is not only standard ball joints, but some with 1.5 to 2 degree offset. What's up with that? Is that for special application....or to compensate for something else worn?
Or do I need to see if that is what in there now, (and how the heck would you be able to tell?)
I pretty much need to keep the truck rolling right up until the time parts arrive.

Sure enough.... there is about half inch slop in the track bar. Pretty exciting ride! I have a spare new one I was saving for my 95... need to snag a new stabilizer shock too.
Too bad the worn end on that track bar is part of the entire bar. a shame to have to replace the whole cotton picking thing for a half inch slop.
Later!
Bob

#3 ·
I was looking up parts for my '97 Ram, and I see there is not only standard ball joints, but some with 1.5 to 2 degree offset. What's up with that? Is that for special application....or to compensate for something else worn?
Or do I need to see if that is what in there now, (and how the heck would you be able to tell?)
I pretty much need to keep the truck rolling right up until the time parts arrive.

Sure enough.... there is about half inch slop in the track bar. Pretty exciting ride! I have a spare new one I was saving for my 95... need to snag a new stabilizer shock too.
Too bad the worn end on that track bar is part of the entire bar. a shame to have to replace the whole cotton picking thing for a half inch slop.
Later!
Bob
Bob...
Years ago I sent my track bar to a shop in South Dakota called Linstead welding. They welded an inside threaded adjustable sleeve on my ball end that allows you to take out any slack with a turn of a slot. Took about a week plus to get it back.
Today that bar is still on my truck, and I've tightened it twice since I got it. You can take it apart and rebuild the innards using everyday hardware and it's also greaseable.
I know there's another product out there call a Lukes link which is similar in design, but I'm not fond of the goofy looking outer cage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.