DODGE RAM FORUM banner

fuel pump??

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Crztexan 
#1 ·
tonight, my '97 5.9 gasser sputtered to a stop. When I tried to restart it about 10 minutes, it did start and run for about 10 seconds. additional attempts had it only hitting on one or two cylinders.... but not for long. It finally just turns over. no smell of raw gas either coming from the exaust.

After pulling it home to the shop, I disconnected the fuel line from the rail, and 'keyed' it. nothing. nary a squirt. I even 'thumped' the bottom of the tank to 'jar' it loose..... I heard it works....'sometimes'.

This truck now has close to 260k miles, and before I go and plunk down 200 bucks for a new pump.....am I missing anything to check?
Should I check for electicity at the tank first... and if I do, will having the key in the 'run' position be enough, or should the engine be 'cranking'?
All probability it's the pump... but if it's the relay, or some other 'sensor' that tells the pump to kick in....I would like to check it first!

Thanks friends!
Bob

#3 ·
if you hear it pumping sometimes with the key in the power position, especially when the key is first turned, i'd check other things first

dropping a gas tank that is over 1/2 full is a chore in itself, empty it is still not a walk in the park

i know some people that rather pull off the bed of the truck than go through the hassle

Good Luck

#4 ·
btw. what is the typical 'service' life of the oem pump? with 260k miles, what are the chances this is the original one? I know running em close to empty will shorten life up considerably...
and ethanol no doubt is a dryer fuel...
Bosch makes a turbine style pump, less friction, and pricey too! about 265$
I was going to just snag the tank off the '95 and put under the '97.... but NOOOO... different pump, and electrical connection. grr..

#7 ·
Im having an issue. I replaced my pump and still same problem i had before which is the truck initially starts and runs fine but when i get to my destination and turn truck off when i turn key back on the pump doesnt kick in and truck wont start unless i let it sit for about an hour. What could be causing that? I dont know jack about electric issues. I have a 97 ram 5.9 liter. What could it be and where is the location of that problem? Thanks yall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.