DODGE RAM FORUM banner

.....speaking of replacing the striker...

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Toms Blue Ram 1500 
#1 ·
in my previous post I mentioned I replaced the striker and latch in the door. Some, not all early generations DID NOT USE A SECURED BACKING PLATE.... where the screws go through from the striker into the nuts behind the door opening.

SO! before you remove all the screws, put one back into the hole and thread it up a few turns..(after swinging the striker out of the way)

Otherwise, you will 'hear' a distinct CLUNK when the backing plate falls into the deep crevice of hell. Plan on an hour to retrieve.
Reverse process to install. Profuse amounts of profanity doesnt help at all!

#2 ·
sorry to laugh, but that is damn funny. I've chased many nuts and bolts around cars. :LOL:

#6 ·
LOL @ rancher! Don't know how many times I've dropped bolts or the like in impossible places. Just figured if I didn't hear anything clunking around after then all was good, but those extendable magnetic retrievers are a lifesaver! :smileup:

- Cajun

G
#7 ·
you got that right, Dana. They do come in super handy!!!

My SRT8 has an underbody tray that covers the bottom of the engine cavity, rail to rail. I'm always dropping something down there. I have, within handy reach, two extendable magnet retrievers and one small three fingered spring loaded grapple just in case it ain't ferrous metal I'm chasin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.