DODGE RAM FORUM banner

engine swap/compatibility

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RamTech 
#1 ·
I see there are getting to be a lot of people swapping the new hemi into various forms of transportation. Kits for putting one down into old mopars, hot rods, etc etc.
I understand the basics: controller has to manage the engine and the trans (if that trans is electronically managed) with the correct sensors and inputs.
My question is...

The gauges on the dash! Do they have to be 'recognizable' by the computer?

earlier this summer, before I joined the Z... I read in a Dak forum, some guy stuffed a hemi into a 2nd gen Dak.... and everything was peachy, except for a few trouble codes he traced back to non compliability with a gauge or two. He was using the stock gauge cluster....the original from the Dakota. He was considering snagging the one from the donor and retrofitting it to the new Dak.
I will try to find that thread again...and see if he figured it out.
how about the guys who are building a completely 'custom' dash, with all aftermarket guages... there must be a parameter listing somewhere that would tell you what is required for each to function with compatibility, so no issues with computer arise.
Any thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm guessing it has something to do with resistence values but Chrysler doesn't give us much in the way of engineering data like that. You'd likely have to have both clusters and a DVOM to figure out the differences unless you can find them on the internet somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.