DODGE RAM FORUM banner

starts great cold....

979 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sdram03 
#1 ·
after a long winter... I just have to do a little tuning on my '97 ram w/5.9 gas!

it starts perfectly when stone cold. Drives right out. Just recently I noticed it is not upshifting to OD unless I completely take my foot off the gas. It then holds it fine after the upshift.

Then, after I get to town, (about 30 miles) it's of course fully warmed up, and the first stop light I come to, it's idling about 1100-1200 rpm in gear.

I'll pull in and park, do the errands, and when I come back out to restart, it does not start with authorty. It does not 'take off like a bird'...idle is very slow and you really can't tell it's running until you release the start switch. after revving it a couple times, it is now idling fast again. Sometimes it will kill the engine when I pull it into gear. after about 30 seconds, it is now running like normal, except for the high idle speed.

Randy thinks it's in the throttle body...needing cleaning. I did this last fall, when I replaced the plenum gasket, dist cap, wires.. etc but that was 8000 miles ago. I will give that a try first!

If memory serves me correctly, I think I re used the tb-manifold gasket.. and possibly there was an issue with it and I used some rtv on the gasket to reuse.

seeing that it starts up like a champ when cold, perhaps the temp sensor is faulty? No check engine light comes on.....
You suppose the upshift problem is related? (as in 'no upshift until engine is at a certain temp')

Thanks!
Bob

See less See more
#2 ·
hey my truck is kind doing the same.i tuned it up and put an intake and plenum gasket on. when its cold it idles great. while it is warming up it misses and lopes.after i did the gaskets it would not idle at. i took the iac valve off to check it. most of the the time u can clean them and they are fine. my had crusty oil on it and was extremly worn out. new one was 30dollars. it purrs like a kitten when its warmed up now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.