DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Looking to replace my headlight bulbs

20K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  whereiswill 
#1 ·
with one of those bright white/blue bulbs for my 2010 ST. Any recommendations and it looks like there is a panel behind headlight to access the bulb easily. (granted I looked in the dark after my neighbor mentioned changing those out for one of those bulbs)

any part #'s or brand would be appreciated, if it's simple doing it tomorrow. Not real crazy with the headlights and adding on the Mopar fogs this week at the dealer. :smileup:

G
#5 ·
You won't need new headlights to go with HID's. Get a good set from a reputable firm otherwise you are gonna get so PO'd trying to get them to work you'll wish you hadn't gotten a cheap set.

Check out AAC here...they have some good stuff that works!

#7 ·
Just a word of caution on swapping out the headlights to these Taiwanese/Chinese made "Halo" and projector headlights. I did this to my Nitro and after 1.5 years (past warranty) was putting back my oem headlights. The led's started going out. They are made cheap, even though $330 isn't cheap to me to swap them, I'll stay with the oem's on the Ram and just install Sylvania SilverStar Ultra's.

The panel you see in the fenderwell is just to release the locking mechanism. To replace my bulbs I had to pop the plastic radiator/grille top cover, unscrew the headlights from under the hood, unscrew the grille, reach in the access panel to unlock and then push them out from that access cover. The headlights have sealed screw caps on the back and you can't get to them without pulling the whole assembly. Whoever designed this should be shot!

My recommendation to save you grief later on, is to just buy the SilverStars and enjoy the oem lights. The fogs are super easy! If you have the 2 bulb headlight, it's the 9145ST, H11ST/2, and 9005-SU/2. Get the Sylvania backup lights also! Enjoy!

#10 ·
just picked up some Silverstars, any point me in the right direction in this forum on step by step instructions (pictures would be helpful) on how to pull the headlights? Rlandon, thanks for the info but going to try and find more detailed info. Stop by an auto shop and they didn't have a clue.

#12 ·
That's the one I used and went from there. You'll have to feel around in the fenderwell to find the tab and pull upward, then push on the headlight to pop it out. One note before you do this, take some masking tape (painters tape) and cover your painted areas around the headlight. This saves on scratches!

I also had to pull the screws for the grille to loosen it enough to get to the lower headlight screw.

It can be done, but it sure could be easier if the engineers had designed this better. No wonder the trucks cost so much! My 94, 98, and 03 Ram's were so easy.

#20 ·
No, didn't do backup bulbs yet, want to see what these look like first in the dark. Read some posts on here saying the silverstars sucked and other loved them. I put the headlights on but of course impossible to tell until this evening.
They're a big improvement over the oem bulbs, even though they are Sylvania bulbs also. Much brighter and whiter. They run at the right temp to keep from looking all blue.

#19 ·
im yett to do this myself but they look like there gonna be hard to get out....srry i cant help you with your question

#23 ·
Is Silverstar worth the money. I heard there life span is not that long. thinking about gettin Silverstar Ultra. What size light bulb and I lookin for?

#28 ·
LOL! you guys all know what the stocks lights look like. I was REALLY disappointed with them. Dim and yellow. 40% of my drive to work is on a long stretch of road with no street lights and plenty of deer and my Envoy did a better job lighting up the road. The new bulbs helped a little, but my Mopar fogs REALLY made a huge difference!

#30 ·
Dont just get silverstars you need the silverstar ultras...... in my 05 it was night and day diffrence..... everyone was flashin the brights at me hahahah then i hit em with the high beam :SHOCKED: hahahah........... it may also have to do with the rake of the truck..... i just did the 2 1/2 leveling kit on my 2010 now i see down the road instead of lighting up the floor infront of the truck... im looking to change the bulbs out anyway

#31 ·
I tried to remove the headlights but they did not come out. I removed both screws and went the tough the access planet on the inerfenderwell and pushed up the clip but they don’t want to come out. Loose but still feels like they are attached to something...i don't want to force it and break something. I have the PIAA 4000K xtreme white plus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.