DODGE RAM FORUM banner

copperhead pearl / black wheels

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RAM. 
#1 ·
I am just waiting for the dealer to call me back and get me the price I am looking for on a new Ram. This will be my first truck so I want to get it right the first time. I am going to be ordering a 2013 SLT reg cab 8' box in copperhead pearl. Thanks to brett13ram for his picture... I am sold on the copperhead! I am considering buying new wheels, figure while I'm waiting for truck to get delivered I'd do some shopping. I was planning on ordering the 17" wheels, fuel economy is very important to me. I am upgrading to the 6X8 to ditch my SUV and will be improving my MPG... like to keep it that way!

I am looking for suggestions on new rims/tires. I was thinking black would look sharp with the copperhead, thoughts? Truck will be SLT with Big Horn package... how would that chrome look with black wheels? Maybe something with chrome accents?

I will be commuting with this truck 300+ miles a week, almost all highway. Ride comfort and noise are important.

Thanks for your suggestions! These will be my first aftermarket wheels so I'm a little nervous. :shy:

#2 · (Edited)
I have always had aftermarket wheels I hate stock wheels. Never had any issues yet.I have black / machined wheels. Dick Cepek Torque wheels. Fuel and XD also make some great looking wheels. Should look great with the copper I was happy with mine on my 09 Big Horn and still have them on my 13 Lone Star(big horn). Here a few pics.
True Blue 13

After

Inferno Red 09

after

#6 ·
Some Pics got lost somehow. Rims didn't lose any miles i lost about .5 or so from the larger more aggressive tires though.
Added pic with the wheels since the other got lost

#7 ·
Ordered the Truck!

I just placed my order for the truck. Went with the Copperhead Pearl. When I get back from vacation I'll start looking at options for new wheels.

I know the off road style / rugged tires are extremely popular.. and the should be. Look freaking awesome on Ram!! However, I have to keep my MPG as good as possible... any options out there for new tires that won't hurt my MPG... improving them would be even better!

#8 ·
Bridgestone Dueler A/T's They ride great, quiet, last 55-60k miles & look awesome. I had a set on one of my Nissan pickups. It was a 98' 4x4 Extended Cab reg. bed 4 cyl. with a 5 speed. The truck got terrible mpg on the 225/75/15's it had on it when I bought it used. I put 31x10.5x15's on it and gained 3 mpg not including the speedo being off! The gearing was terrible, that's why the bigger tire helped my mpg's. I could not run the truck 80 mph because it was turning over 4000rpm's..
Anyways Dueler's are expensive but worth it. No balance issues either. A very close second would be the Firestone Destination A/T. Same exact tire except for the mold it gets put in. Slightly different tread pattern and the letters on the sidewall are different. They are quite a bit cheaper.

#9 ·
I went up to ATX Justice Machined Flat Black Accent 18 x 9 rims and Nitto Dura Grappler LT275/70R18 I love the combination. but I do have a trailer I tow they are great on the high way

#10 ·
Mine didn't lower my mileage much. Less that 1 mpg probably. You can run a BFG or any other AT tire and not even notice the small difference in MPG. I do actually go off road sometime so for me the tires are worth the minor mpg loss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.