DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need help finding an electrical connector

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
I need to find where to buy an electrical connector "pigtail" for the airbag sensor on the front of the vehicle(4th gen ram). Or at least a part number. I can't find any leads and have tried google....anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

#3 ·
the dealer should be able to help you get it but i do know that most of the airbag wiring is not serviceable due to legal issues.
What do you mean by that? I've already had the airbag sensor unplugged and took it off th truck, then plugged it back in and reinstalled it... I just made sure to disconnect the battery first just in case/just because.

And thanks I'll try to get a part number from the dealer.

#4 ·
What he means is most wiring parts are not repairable. You can unplug it to replace a sensor etc but they don't usually sell pigtails for airbag systems because of all that can go wrong connecting them properly. Typically we have to replace entire wiring harnesses. You'll probably have to buy one from an auto wrecker.

#5 ·
Ok thanks for that info. I'm trying to make an extension to the harness, I need to extend it about 1 foot, so need a male and female piece that matches the harness connector and the sensor. What if I moved the sensor over on the bumper support about a foot, would that be an issue? They are just accelerometers, right? So it would basically still operate the same if I moved it towards the wheel well about a foot? I just need to get the wiring out of the way for something I'm working on, I was really hoping to make a harness extension, but if I can't buy the pigtails then I guess that's out...

#6 ·
I wouldn't recommend messing with it. By moving it you can actually change the timing of the airbag system. Picture smashing your face of the steering wheel followed by getting smoked by the airbag. Or worse having the bag go off to early and hitting your face on the open steering wheel without padding. What are you trying to do? There must be another way to do it.

#7 ·
I don't know much about the airbag sensors, but I thought they were accelerometers, so if they were in one spot or a few inches or a foot over, it should operate the same basically assuming a dead head on collision. Obviously there could be a million situations in an accident that placement could mess with things, but anyway I do understand your concern for not messing with it. I was nervous enough just disconnecting it (I unhooked the batter first). Do you know, are they accelerometers? I am making a part that passes through the area of the radiator support where the harness is, there's not really another route I can take, and the harness doesn't have enough slack to push out of the way. Do you have any ideas of how I could make a harness extension?

Surely they make the harness connectors, but if I understand you correctly they don't sell them?

#8 ·
I'm not 100% sure on the Ram but they are likely Accelerometers. You have to look at the whole picture though. They are placed in certain locations for a reason. If you move it a foot it will not work the way it was designed to as the area is different. Different strengths in the new spot may cause it to not function at all or worse even malfunction in an accident. Signals are received from the front in ways that interact with the side airbag systems as well. They are very complex. Trust me I have alot of training on airbag systems. Its a bad idea.

#9 ·
Thanks for your help. I understand and know you are right, but I just need to figure out a way around this lol. I'll have to see if the main harness that the airbag sensor connector splits off from has any slack and could be moved, I only looked at the airbag sensor pigtail harness part before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.