DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2001 Dodge

724 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Warlock III 
#1 ·
Well this is the first time I have used a forum. Here is a challenge for someone. I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 sport with a 5.2L engine. I had to replace it with a new long block. I tried to start it today and all it would do is turn over. I ck'd spark, OK, I ck'd timing, OK, I ck'd fuel at rails 45 Psi, OK. when I pulled a plug there semmed to be no fuel on it, but there was a heavy smell of fuel after cranking. any Ideas?

#3 ·
Also make sure you get #1 cyl all the way up. Check the timing marks. Pull the dist cap and make sure it's pointing a # 1. The timing gear on the cam spins once for every two revolutions of the crank so you may have inadvertently put the dist 180 degrees out.

You'll still get spark but at the wrong time.

#5 ·
Ck'd compression today was @150 psi, pulled dist. cap, rotor was at the #1 position and lined up with mark on pick-up plate. balancer mark is lined up with TDC mark on pointer on chain cover. I sprayed chem tool into carb still no fire. I pulled plug again and there is still no fuel or smell of fuel on plug. there is spark to the plugs ck'd this with my timing light. I haved work in the mechanic field since I was 13 years old, my Dad and I use to work on Vehicles together and I have a pretty good knowledge of engine, but this one has me stumped. the fuel or chem tool not on the plugs has me baffled. Any suggestions.

#6 · (Edited)
At this point I'd plug in the injector connections (noid) and check them for pulse.http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/chrysler/3.9L-5.2L-5.9L/how-to-test-the-fuel-injectors-1

I'd also check to make sure that there is an engine to body ground. Without a engine to body (strap should be on back passenger's side to firewall) the injectors won't open.

With what you've posted so far sounds like it could be the problem.

Take a pair of jumper cables as a temp and use the red (engine to body) and the black engine to negative terminal.

Let us know what happened.

The PCM has to ground the injectors for them to open. Also check the crank position sensor on the back passenger's side and make sure it's plugged in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.