DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cowboy Medic's 2012 White Outdoorsman 3500

19K views 75 replies 15 participants last post by  APSTRAM 
#1 ·

Well, I picked up my new 2012 3500 Outdoorsman on Saturday, May 11th. It is of course equipped with the Cummins Turbo Diesel.

I opted to go back to a long box as there were too many times I was wishing for the cargo space when I had the shortbox. I really like the white and gray two tone. Solid white just seemed like too much. I do think that if rock chips start taking too much of a toll on the rockers, that the gray paint may get covered by some black Line-X but for now I do like it.

Here she is at the dealership as I am doing my inspection before signing the papers.

I got to keep my old 2500 over the weekend to finish moving my stuff over. Here are the two trucks in front of my garage.

I really don't like the huge amount of advertising that they try to get out of a new truck. I wish I would have thought to tell them ahead of time to not bother putting their dealer stickers on. Took me about an hour to take the one off the windshield, the one off the tailgate, and the residue on the tailgate and the back window from the dealership we traded it from.

After the sticker removal and cleanup, I took the trucks to get the tires swapped. I have BFG AT's in the 285/70/R17 that I had just put on the green one in March. I moved them over and put the stock 265/70/R17's onto the green one. I had arranged that and the other swap of accessories in my deal with the dealership.

I also moved my bug shield over right away. I think the shield and the tires made a huge impact on the look of the truck.

Then I transferred over the mud flaps as well.

Then off came the chrome steps to make way for the powerboards that are going on tomorrow.

Both of my Outdoorsman Trucks had the same interior so I put the standard factory headrests from the new truck into the green one and moved my cut in video screen headrests over to the new truck. I will wire them up once I have the Katzkin Leather installed. Supposed to be around the 17th or 18th depending upon shipping.

I also moved over the EZ Down. I don't understand for how cheap that little strut is, why it is not a standard feature on the trucks. It makes it so convenient and safe when opening the tailgate.

Tomorrow morning it goes to the shop to get Line-X sprayed in the bed. They will also be putting in a B&W Gooseneck hitch. The powerboards will be installed. A new tonneau cover will be put on once the Line-X is dry. I am picking up in-channel vent visors to put on as well. The two front side windows will be tinted.

My personal projects list for the week includes

1. Electric Tailgate Lock Kit
2. In-Bed trailer plug wiring kit
3. Toolbox installed after Line-X
4. Hi-Lift rack and jack mounted similar to green truck setup
5. Under bed rail lighting for when tonneau cover is on.
6. OEM Auxilliary switch kit for the dash. This will control rear Video Screens, Winch Power points front and rear, and any off road lights that I figure out how to add down the road after I finally choose a grill guard.
7. Front Reciever Hitch for Winch
8. Grill guard if I can finally decide on one.
9. Get my music library loaded to the stereo HDD.

I will add pictures of those projects when they are done.

Once the Katzkin leather arrives I will get that installed. That will include heated seats that I will have to wire. I have not decided on where to mount those switches, but I am leaning towards trying to do something on the sides of the seats. If anyone has done one I would love to see pics.

I am planning to wire up the rear video screens and install the Lockpick to control them after the leather is in. I will also post pics of that when I do it.

Future wants are some LED off-road light bars, possibly a B&W Cab protector style headache rack, and some auxilliary reverse lights that angle out to the sides more.

See less See more
#5 ·
For the heated seats switch, If I recall from the one I put in the green truck, I think that there is a circuite board that sits behind those auxilliary switches I am adding. That would make it difficult to wire through the switches and have them set in flush.

I am leaning towards having the switches on the side next to the seats power controls. The passenger side is a little harder as it is mechanical and doesn't quite have the space to make them uniform side to side.

I have about a week to decide before the leather gets installed. I could put them in the dash bezel in a couple of different places as well. At least the switches are the small round ones and not the huge ones I have seen in some kits.

I did see one install where they put them above the map pockets of the console, but I needed a bench for my needs so that is not an option for me.

#9 ·
The green one was a short box and a Hemi. There was nothing wrong with it at all, but the wife and I have decided we are going to buy a bunk house fifth wheel sometime soon. We have three young kids and would like to be able to take them around on some nice trips. We are talking Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Boundary Waters in Minnesota, Omaha Zoo, and several other places. Just about every fifth wheel we looked at that had all the features we wanted was pushing into the 30 foot length and was at or near the weight I wanted to trust with the 2500 Hemi. Plus the diesel will get significantly better fuel milage for those longer trips with that heavy of a load. If we were just looking at local runs up into the hills I would have been fine with the green one but for these longer trips we want to take, I just decided to bite the bullet and move up.

Additionally there were some really good deals on the 2012's with the rebates, I own a business so there was some additional incentives there. I wind up barely going up each month in payments and only extending one year out. If I waited I would have lost depreciation and had more to make up later.

Also, as much as the 13's are bringing in some nice things, I really had a personal preference for the interiors and the stereo's and everything in the 12's. My Lockpick and video screens transfer straight over so no extra money to keep the kids happy on long trips, etc. It just made a lot of sense for me financially to go ahead and snag a '12 before they were all off the lots.

If I could have afforded to keep both trucks I would have. The green one was a ton of fun to drive especially around town for short trips, running through the forest trails and what not. The diesel though is a true pulling machine and even more important to me, is the exhaust brake for going down hills with a load. I really like that most people's brakes are my backup plan with a setup like this. I had an exhaust brake on my old truck. In nearly two hundred thousand miles I only went through two sets of brake pads and never had to have the drums or rotors messed with.

I have towed a lot of trailers over the years and I was very impressed with the power of the Hemi for the loads I did haul with it. It essentially just came down to a truck that could do the job versus a truck that could do the job very comfortably. I give up some of the around town ease of the short box and the Hemi, but like I say, I drove my old one ton for 11 years so obviously I am used to running around in a big truck anyways.

Finally was the nostalgia, my dad and I really got into the Cummins powered trucks when he bought a 1992 D250 with the Cummins. The '99 I had was the last one he bought before he died and I got it from my Mom shortly after. Any time I was missing him, I would climb up behind that diesel and we could take a run together and remember the good times. I just wasn't feeling complete without the diesel in my stable. Having it back just a few days, I feel like I have him riding with me again and that is worth all the costs associated with it.

#11 ·
I think it will. I am smart enough to know most of it is just because I want the connection to be there. It helps that his last one and this one were white also.

Additionally there is just the satisfaction that it is just a neat truck that I keep finding new things to like all on its own as well.

For example, it is a subtle difference, but I love the more black and gray look to the stereo interface compared to the blue and silver look that my 2011 had. I also like the fact that after loading up a few CD's into the HDD it hasn't started screwing up all of the names and tracks like my 2011 did after more than a few discs were added. I ABOSOLUTELY love that the cruise control is back on the front buttons of the steering wheel instead of the goofy underneath paddle thing that was on my 2011. I constantly was bumping it with my knees and cancelling it or speeding it up. Most aggravating thing about the green truck by far. I also like that the phone and uconnect buttons are there. Not that they have to be but it is a nice feature.

The 2012 just seems like the perfect truck for the features that I cared about. I have said it before to my wife. It is like taking all of the things I loved about my white dually and combining it with the things I loved about my green 2011 and making it all into one truck.

I stopped and checked it out at the shop on the way home. The powerboards are on an functioning perfectly. The gooseneck hitch is all setup and the new in-channel vent visors look great. Gotta wait till tomorrow for the bed liner and the tint to be done and then it will be mine to start playing with again!!!!!

#12 ·
Well, I have the truck home and the Line-X turned out awesome. Gooseneck hitch is installed, tonneau cover is on, windows are tinted, vent visors are installed and powerboards are working.

I got my tool box installed. Put in my Hi-Lift Jack on its mount and strapped in my spare fuel can. I offset the tool box towards the driver's side just a bit in order to have space to tuck in the fuel can. It was starting to rain as I finished up, so I will get pictures up on Sunday or Monday.

Next up is to wire in the power tailgate lock, auxilliary reverse lights, under bed rail lighting and in-bed trailer plug wiring. Hoping to have that done by Monday night.

#13 ·
A few days late, but here are some pics. Haven't gotten much done as it has been raining like crazy here. I am actually grateful for the rain. I think they said that we got six inches over the last few days. Anyway, on to the pics.

Here are the in-channel vent visors. I have always had tape on ones on my previous trucks. Hopefully I don't have any problems with this style.

The powerboards need a good cleaning but I love them. Absolutely the best style of running boards I have ever used.

Here is a good view of the boards up and then down

Got the Access Literider Tonneau. I have had several of these on different trucks and they just flat out perform for me. Never seem to have any problems. I was surprised that the roll didn't seem bigger considering it is on a longbed truck.

Before the Line-X

After the Line-X and installation of the B&W Turnover Ball

Gooseneck hitch lever inside the driver's rear wheel well. I cleaned up the hole so that the plastic is smooth and sprayed on some bed liner to seal the notched area. I apparently forgot to get a picture of the after. I will get that tomorrow and update the thread.

Installed the Hi-Lift Jack on its Loc-Rac mount just like in my 2011. Also got the toolbox installed.

I offset the toolbox just slightly to allow space to store a spare fuel can. I like to get up and drive the forest service trails in the hills and I like having the spare fuel just in case.

A few rainspots on the lens, sorry. Got my cargo bar installed. I love that thing so that I don't have items sliding to the front. Got it for free from a guy that hated it. Apparently reading directions was not his strong suit. It has worked perfectly fine for me for about three years now.

Man I love how nice the Line-X turned out.

Well here is how she sits waiting for the rain to stop so we can start the next round of mods.

Still waiting to get the in-bed trailer wiring and the power tailgate lock installed. Problem is the Katzkin leather arrived and I am anxious to get it installed. I was going to have the shop do it, but I like to do things myself so I saved the $650.00 install fee and decided to take on the job myself.

Here is a teaser shot of one of the lower two tone sections held up against the door panel to show how close the colors match. I don't feel the camera does it justice. It is very very close on the color as well as the texture. The colors I chose were the Dark Graphite and Gray on the Katzkin color swatches. I also went with the colored double stitching. I think it really adds to how the seats will look when it is all installed.

#14 · (Edited)
I also got my new Aux Switch Panel. I took it apart and compared the switches for my heated seats. I don't see any way that they would work inside the panel. I could see some other types of small switches being placed in there though. I guess it just depends on what and how a person is planning to use them. Here are some pics of the switch panel together and broken down on one of the blanks.

I actually kinda like the heated seat switch and would like to be able to see it when the seats are on to check settings or to make sure the passenger side is off if the passenger gets out of the truck, etc.

With the round design, I played around with the idea of drilling the bezel between where the Aux switches will go and the heater controls. This would create the two small rounds offset between the three large round ones of my manual climate controls. I won't know if that is feasable until I pull the bezel off and see how the plastic is formed behind there. I think it could look good though. Have to think about it before I drill.

This bezel photo is from my green one, and the white circles are my best engineering drawing, but you get the idea.

#18 ·
#17 · (Edited)
Very nice looking rig, indeed. I guess your mention of the length slipped past me as I flipped through your pictures.. but it was quite apparent when I saw the first side shot and noticed how far back your fuel door is in comparison to mine.. lol! Just wow!

I don't think I could handle that big of a truck, but happy trails! Sounds like you have the perfect truck for you and your plans.

Whenever you come down Grand Canyon way it'd be cool if you traveled through my area (about an hour north of Moab, UT).. I think it would be fun to have a picture of my truck parked next to yours. Personally, never seen one the size (length) of yours around my neck of the woods.

Oh, and you will learn to love your in-channel visors! I had only ever had the tape on version myself.. but didn't want to tape anything onto my new Ram. Once they seat in, they're there to stay. Looks like you got the same as me (AVS brand).. if so, they have an extremely remarkable customer service department, just in case you ever have a visor break on you - their warranty rocks!

#19 ·
Those are some nice looking lights. I haven't seen one of those old strobe light bars like you have in a quite a while. Our sheriff's office used to use that style. My PD has gone to the Liberty LED series from Whelen and I think that is what the county guys are using now. My ambulance service has a wierd mix now. Still have lots of strobes but they are the large box mounted ones. They still have one with an old JetSonic. I think that bar draws more power than some alternators will put out.

I was looking at the LED off road lights, just not sure what I want or how I want to do it yet. I had a really nice set of IPF lights that worked really well. I had them first on my white 99 Dually and transferred to behind the grill on the green outdoorsman, between them getting older and not wanting to go through pulling them, I just left them on the green one when I traded it.

For now I have several sets of the old rubber housed tractor lights sitting around and I am going to put them on for auxilliary backup lights. I figure that takes care of me for the moment and then if I decide to upgrade I will already be wired up and just need to make the swap.

What brand are yours? Seems like name wise I am finding the Cree and Ridgid alot and then quite a few that look like knockoffs. I will have to do more research before I decide what to go with.

#22 ·
The new front reciever for my winch got installed today. Went in smoothly without any problems. I just have a couple of photos from my phone. I will try and get some with the regular camera in a little bit after the kids nap. I will also try and get some with the winch off and just the reciever showing.

#24 ·
Well, most of the new leather is in. I did almost all of it myself. I did give up on trying to get the video screens into the headrests and not having the leather looking like crap. So I took them to a local upholstery shop and asked them to redo the foam and cut them to fit properly. I kept the actual screens so that I could test all the wiring and make sure that I had all of the installation correct. I am supposed to get the headrests back on Monday or Tuesday.

I had the interior almost completely torn apart. All of the seats were out. The center dash was completely out to put in the aux switch panel and the lockpick to run the DVD screens. I am really pleased with how everything has turned out. The seat colors look perfect in person. I am not sure why some pictures show it really well and others make the grays look different from each other between the seats and the door panels.

I also promised a couple of photos of the front reciever without the winch in the way. So here that is. I was initially concerned that it would block too much of the coolers, but as you can see plenty of air can still get around it. There is a brace that stops anything from being put through the receiver too far so that was a nice touch as well. This is made by Draw-Tite and I picked it up through my local NAPA store for $180.00. I had paid more than $200.00 to have one made by a welding shop before so I am pleased overall.

#36 · (Edited)
...I also promised a couple of photos of the front reciever without the winch in the way. So here that is. I was initially concerned that it would block too much of the coolers, but as you can see plenty of air can still get around it. There is a brace that stops anything from being put through the receiver too far so that was a nice touch as well. This is made by Draw-Tite and I picked it up through my local NAPA store for $180.00. I had paid more than $200.00 to have one made by a welding shop before so I am pleased overall.

Crap, something I didn't know I needed until now! :LOL:

What winch do you use in there?

Did you install it yourself?

Which part # is this yours?

65063?

or 65057?

What other uses do you have in mind for it?

It appears either will fit - any idea what the difference is?

#25 · (Edited)
I ordered the power cables to run the winch power to the back of the truck. Also ordered the Bull Ring anchors for the stake pockets and a 24 inch LED Off-Road light to mount on the front grill guard. Not sure when the grill guard will arrive. Hopefully soon.

I still haven't gotten around to installing the extra backup lights or the in-bed trailer plug. Hopefully get that done tomorrow. Also gonna try and get the under bed rail lighting installed for under the tonneau cover.

As always, I will post pics as I get them done.

My last real want on the truck is going to be a B&W cab protector (headache rack). I have always liked the looks of them from the B&W website. Now the other day I saw a 4th Gen truck with Iowa plates in town that had one on it. First time I have ever seen one in person and now I am just aching to order one. Just don't want the wife to divorce me so it will probably have to wait a while, but damn it looked good.

#27 ·
Kcbigbadram,

Thanks for the compliment.

In regards to the heated seat switches, I wound up placing them on each side of the little tray that sits in front of the center seat. I can still reach the switches for both sides and yet they are out of the way and not looking out of place on the dash. I just couldn't find any place on the dash that had open space and didn't look goofy. I forgot to snap a picture of them. I will snag one tomorrow and get it posted.

#29 ·
Today was the in-bed trailer plug and under bed rail light. I just tapped the battery and ground wires off the trailer plug wiring. The LED lights draw so little amperage that even if I forget and leave it on, it shouldn't be a problem unless it runs for days. If I ever find it becoming a problem I will just get an in line timer that will turn it off after a set number of minutes.

Here is a pic of the in-bed placement

And the light placed above it. The blue button is the on-off switch. You can see the rubber grommet that the wire runs through and then ties into the harness coming from the factory bumper plug. It was nice because it all essentially plug and play.

Since I was working in the bed, I went ahead and installed the Bull Ring Anchors. The front four went in fine, but I had to trim the plastic on the back two to make them fit.

Probably a stupid aesthetic thing but I love how the six stake pockets filled with those anchors match up with the bull rings that are in the bed with the gooseneck hitch. I guess it is my truck and as long as I am happy that is what matters right?

And here are the promised pics of where I mounted the heated seat switches.

#42 ·
How is it that you have the lights up there, is the two sided tape they came with strong enough or did you use something else. I'm just wondering when it heats up with the sun if it's going to fall off, I was thinking about doing the same thing I used those lights in green inside the cab but as soon as the heat hit they fell off ?

:4-dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.