DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Need Feedback - 285/65/20 or 305/55/20 for my Big Horn 4X4 with a 2.5" Daystar

31K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  towboater 
#1 ·
Gents,

I'm looking at upgrading my tires. My guess is that there is a thread already on this topic, I just have not found it yet. I've got a Big Horn 4X4 with an "almost leveling" 2.5" kit.

Between 285/65/20 and 305/55/20, which is preferred?

The tire I am looking at is the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO. Specs are as follows:
285/65/20 is a 34.7" tire.
305/55/20 is a 33.4" tire.

Questions:
1. Are there other brands I should be looking at?
2. I want height without the rub. Is the wider tire or the taller tire more likely to cause a rub?
3. Which looks better to you?
4. Anyone have photos of a similar set up? I think the 305's are more common; however, the 285's are where I am leaning.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

See less See more
#5 ·
I think it all depends on what your complete setup is going to be. such as, if the wheel stick out are you concerned about rock chips hitting the sides of your truck? Are you getting fender flares? Are you concerned about gas mileage or performance? The weight of the wheels? There are so many veriables? Some guys like the wheels sticking out some dont. And I used to have nittos and the tread is more spaced out than my now wrangler AT's. which means they pick up more rocks. My wranglers I do love but the tread is closer together so I sometimes have to get a knike and dig out some little rocks but then again, Im anal. lol

#6 ·
I want a tough look. I am not getting fender flares. Mileage over performance. I'd like to heighten the truck a little to with the new tires. I don't need the tires to stick out too much. I'd like to protect the paint. Thoughts?

#9 ·
If they are 305 trail grapplers they rub mine did had to get 1/4 in. spacer. But if they are street tire you'll be fine.

#19 ·
Hey Ramtex where did you get the 1/4" spacers from??? Anyone know of a good source to get them?? OP sorry to jack your post and my 2C is if you drive in snow go 285s if you go for 305 be aware you are getting very close to a rubbing issue on you control arms test fit if possible before you decide

G
#10 ·
The 285 will be a bit narrower so not so much stuff will be hitting the body coming off the tires. Still, you will have some tread out past the wheel well opening.

These are 285/758RX18's on an 18X9 KMC XD Addict wheel with a +18 offset so you can see a bit of tire does come past the body line:

A 285 section width tire = approx. 11.2204"

A 305 section width tire = approx. 12.0078"

So the 305 tire is approx. 3/4" (.7874") wider than the 285

#11 ·
Maddog,

That's a beautiful photo. Thanks for the input. I think the 285 is the way I'll go. I'll only do some serious off-roading 6 or so times a year. Too much city living unfortunately.

#13 ·
I would go with the 285s also with a leveling kit, but you should just go ahead a go bigger 4" or 6" haha...i started out with a leveling kit and those bfgs and was satisfied with the height. My truck looks a little different now from the above pics ha..still want it bigger (still trying to find someone close enough to me to buy those bfgs also haha)

#16 ·
i would prolly go wit the 258's they will look better in my opinion

#22 ·
Great feedback everyone. There appears to be one other option that I had not looked at when I started the thread with my first question - 295/60/20, which is a 34.45" tire, probably the Nitto Terra Grappler. It appears to be a good tweener between the 285/65/20 and 305/55/20.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.