DODGE RAM FORUM banner

All Terrain vs Mud Terrain??

7K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Butter 
#1 ·
So im fixing to buy some new tires for my 2012 Ram. I am downsizing my rims to the stock 17s and am debating on two different tires right now.

BFGoodrich T/A KO All Terrains 285/70r17
or
Firestone Destination M/T 285/70r17

After looking at the prices, which will cost about the same with either one, my wonder is that is it worth it to purchase a straight Mud tire over a All terrain tire? I have been reading the tire reviews on offroaders.com and the Firestone tire handles better and out beats the BFG in all categories including on the street. So is it worth it to get a straight mud tire and if so do I need to worry about wear more then on a All terrain?
Thanks!

#2 ·
It may wear a bit faster but if it wins in all catagories I'd opt for the more aggressive tire. Wish I'd seen that comparison before I bought mine.

#4 ·
I think the big question is how much will you drive it on wet Texas roads. I commute to work and the most important factor to me is grip on those rainy days. I will say the Cooper LTZ's were very good for my on and off road needs. I would also say that when I was up in Reno, NV for some snowboarding with the family back in 99 with the ole 5.9 magnum, my BFG's had to be chained in order for me to grip the roads in town. Black Ice can be a bit hairy with family aboard. I do like the ratings on those Firestone's though and may consider those when these Wranglers see the end.

#5 ·
Only issue I have had with BFG's is that if you live down a dirt road, or travel down the often, the tread likes to grab and hold rocks, then sling them at your rocker panels once you hit higher speeds.

Other than that, they are great tires.

#6 ·
I do go a lot of places where dirt can clump up and that, and I have heard from many people and see it all the time with BFG's. I'm fixing to go to school up in Arkansas next fall and being from North Texas, driving through OK in the winter is wishy washy. When we got about a inch of snow on christmas arkansas and eastern OK got about 6 to 8 inchs.

#8 ·
These all bring up great points. What is the most aggressive AT that works best on roads and dirt? Ideally, a great AT does both but that is impossible. I guess you need to decide if on road is more important that off road. Or the other way around. I got mine cuz they were better on road than off. Towing my trailer with my family on board. I can't just go with the most aggressive off road tire (though that is what my ego wants) but I need to have a tire that works off road too. What is the best anwser? I don't know. I'll be watching this thread.

#9 ·
the BFG's A/T will dry rot before they wear out . atleast that is what I have always seen with them .

as for a m/t , I am really liking the Federal courigia m/t

#10 ·
I have to say the AT's

#15 ·
Check out the Dick Cepek Fun Country II. Its a cross between an A/T and an M/T. I've used these on a 2001 Ram 1500 and a 2005 Ram 2500 diesel. Great tire.
As for strickly M/T, I used Toyos M/T's on the said diesel. These were my favorite tires in ALL driving conditions.
I'm looking at Copper Zeon LTZ's for the 2012 Ram 1500, maybe when the stockers wear down.

#16 ·
When in doubt always go with a MT. I have Cooper AT3's and they do great everywhere (snow, hwy, dirt, rain) except sticky mud where they will pack up some. BFG KO's are beyond terrible in mud and are worthless IMO. If I had to choose between your two tires it would be the Firestone MT's for sure. Lots of good AT's around now to choose from. Toyo MT's and Cooper SST are nearly identical and are really an aggressive AT not an MT IMO and either would work great anywhere. Goodyear Duratracs are one of my top choices for the best of all worlds.

#17 ·
I had the bfg mt's on my jeep and they were pretty good off road, but so-so on road. If your not actually gonna use the mud terrains for what they are, why waste the money? My jeep only had 25k miles on it when I sold it, and it was on it's second pair of bfg's. Unless your doing 50/50 on/off road, then stick with a good set of at's.

#18 ·
I have the Federal Couragias someone else mentioned. Great tires, they were surprisingly quiet for as aggressive as they are. For quite a while anyway, starting to get worn and noisy at this point. But so far they are wearing better than any other mud tire I have had.

#19 ·
I'm running a set of 285-70-17 Mastercraft Courser C/T and they are doing great! They do well in dirt and mud and not bad on road as long as you get the air pressure right...The ride is very sensitive to pressure! We don't do snow here so no clue how they would do in it but they are stud able if you need that type of thing. I have 12,000 miles on them and they haven't gotten louder and don't show wear.

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Test-Tire.aspx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.