DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Loose body mounts?

31K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  csnetsurfer 
#1 ·
Is anyone else having issues like this? The trucks a year old and it's been back to the dealer twice for loose body mounts, and now the noise is back for a third time. The first time the dealer said they weren't tightened 100% from the factory. The second time, they didn't say anything and re tightened them again. It's been 3 months since the last time, and now the noise is back. With all the problems/recalls/updates I've had with this truck, I may consider trading it in on another truck.

#8 ·
My left front one made noise took me a month to find out what was causing the noise. It was tight but they use loctite on the bolts so they can be tight enough not to turn but loose as far as clamping force. Maybe you should have them put loctite on the bolts when you go in next.

#10 ·
Hi Red Devil,

You might want to suggest that they try some Loctite 406 on the blots......ya think.

preachp

#12 ·
every once in awhile i'll get a rattle sound coming from what i think is the passenger side front strut... only happens when i go over bumps so i think it's suspension related... doesn't do it "every time" but a lot of the time... the oil changer tech looked the strut area but said nothing appeared loose and they just shrugged it off... i was thinking maybe a strut mount/strut bushing? maybe have them take another look next time i'm up that way...

#14 ·
Anyone else have any more info on this? I just bought a 2014 double cab and have less then 200 (yes two hundred) miles on it and seem to be having the same noise. I Have been to the dealer 3 times and all three times they have missed diagnosed the noise and told me there unsure of what it is. I only drove the truck for 150 miles and it has been sitting at the dealer for almost 2 1/2 weeks now.

The noise occurs when going slow enough over bumps or uneven roads, where the force of the bump/ speed combination is not enough to compress the strut and you get that "body roll".

I believe it's the body mount from what I have read but the dealer said " it can't be the body mount".
Hey what do I know I only engineer and manufacture auto-parts for a living.

(by the way I hate this dealer).

If anyone has a similar noise or a suggestion please let me know
There is no reason there should be a noise in a $45k truck after 150 miles

#15 ·
Mine happened when it was very new I checked my body mounting bolts myself and thought they were tight. I played around trying to figure the noise out for about a month and a half. Then finally I got pissed and loosened the left front mount which felt tight because of the lock tite on the threads, problem was there wants enough clamping force to stop the noise. I loosened the Bo,t and retightened it, noise gone. 18200 miles now still quiet. Ask them to loosen or remove the body bolts and retorque them. They do have thread lock on them, so the proper way to do it would be to reapply thread lock to the bolts before tightening them.

#16 ·
Body Mounts and noise

Hello! I'm new to this site and just registered. I have a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 that has the same "clunk" noise. It started at less then 2000 miles. After replacing both front struts, and bar links, the noise was still there. Finally after driving me insane, the dealer tech was able to find a loose body mount. I have had two on the right side tightened and two on the left side. The left side is loose again. On one, the tech found water inside that came pouring out? I hate this noise and will be trying to get out of the lease soon. I have 11,500 miles on this truck and drive it like its a car.

#17 ·
Looking back, mine had loose mounts, too. I installed a set of nerf bars that mount to and replace the body bolts. I haven't heard the rattle since installing the bars. I didn't make the connection until now.

#18 ·
My right front body mount right behind the front wheel got loose after a year and 8000 miles. I knew what it was and told the dealer to check and tighten all of the mounts. The only one loose was the right front. That was last July and its been good since. Mine started as a sqeak when I hit bumps and then changed to a clunk. My dealer service dept is great and they listen. The service writer said he never heard of a loose mount on the 13 RAMs. I knew mine couldnt be the only one.

#19 ·
Makes you wonder how many are driving around with loose mounts?

When I picked up my '50 Chevy truck it felt like it had a lot of body roll when cornering. I found out that the front mounts just had the screws coming down from the cab, no nuts on them! The body roll was just that - off the frame! It's much better now.

#21 ·
Think I have the same here now. Just started noticing a clunking but not linked to bumps all the time and happens very randomly. Sounds like this might be it. I'm going to try tightening myself soon. Just need to grab some locktite first. For all wondering/needing the mounting bolts require 108Nm or 80ft.lbs

#23 ·
I went through this after about 15k miles on the truck and about 3k miles after I had the truck leveled. Same sort of noise coming from under the front end.

I took it to my dealer and the shop that did the leveling and neither could replicate the sound....yet I could hear it 3-4 times a day on my way to work. Finally I had a buddy jump up and down on the tow hooks to get the noise to appear again and I narrowed it down to the front drivers side body mount. Took a breaker bar and tightened it less than 1/4 turn and it hasn't come back since. :smileup:

If you think its a body mount, break out the biggest bar you have and see if you can get it to tighten ever so slightly. If that doesn't fix it than it's probably a different problem.

#24 ·
My right front body mount was causing a banging squeak sound. I brought the tech with me to let him hear it. After about 2 hours he found the motor mount was barely loose but just enough to make the noise. Hasn't happened since in over a year.

#25 ·
Sorry to bring up an old thread that's been dead for over a year!

Been doing some digging as I'm trying to figure out a rattle, clanking noise that my 2014 has developed. Does this sound like what everyone else had? Could it be mounts?

It's a video I shot out my window going slow over a speedbump. You can hear it at the end after the rear clears the bump.

I also have a 6 inch lift and checked all the usual suspects there.

https://youtu.be/Oy2Qv7u31qo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.