DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Anyone else have a dead battery and a light on?

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  dc01039 
#1 ·
Ok well my 2013 Lone Star CC went in Monday because it was dead. After a new battery the found a light that won't shut off. Wed. they said it was the BCM. Today a new BCM and still no good. They called to ask about a aftermarket GPS which I don't have so I explained everything in the truck was bough that way. I told them maybe it was that EVTS which was installed before test drive. Apparently they have no idea what is going on which worries me a bit. Anyone else have this random elec. issue and get there truck back fixed??
If anyone of you have this issue call Ram CS everyday. I got an Avenger loaner they were charging me $5/tax for and after my calls I was given a 2013 Ram 4.7 QC free of charge and they took off the $5/tax from the other car. It pays to call and bother people while your pissed otherwise you get screwed apparently. Here is hoping I see my truck sometime soon. I believe its 30 days out of service in TX and its a lemon so at 25 I am calling the free TX lemon law lawyer. Not sure if I want another Ram though this has kinda turned me off a bit. My 09 had the drive shaft and now I got a 13 with elec bugs. The ford guys at work are loving this. Good luck to the rest of you.

#2 · (Edited)
I bet it is your radio, if you have the RA3 8.4 a or RA4 8.4 an

the new type radios are a part of the Ram's electronics, sort of like a junction box in the main trunk line in underground wiring

#3 ·
Got the 8.4A We will see what the next part they swap out it

#4 ·
You and I are in the same boat man. Truck has been at the dealer for 2+ weeks with the dying battery. No progress on their end and they won't listen to me or Chrysler that it's probably the radio. Counting the days down to start on the lemon law paperwork... Also was given a 2013 Ram 4.7 QC as a rental. Haha!

#5 ·
The QC rental could have been optioned better. It's nice although I would have liked a CC. Also the 115v plus would have been nice. That small back seat takes a little getting used to when packing my stuff for work

#7 ·
The bcm was supposedly on bo and they somehow got me one the next day. We will see if they do the dash or 8.4 next

#8 ·
I had the same problem with my Sport, dash lights staying on all the time. The tech at my dealership tried resetting all the systems, nothing worked, he finally unplugged the battery for 10 minutes and the problem went away. Its been fine now for over a month. There is still a problem with the radio, but not sure when Chrysler will get around to that fix. I'm playing the waiting game on the issues I have.

#9 ·
This is my 4th Ram and have never had any problems until now. I purchased a 2013 Outdoorsman and love the truck but wasn't sure about the U connect system
This past week I have had to jump start it several times and have an appointment this next week with my dealer.
Yesterday I was trying several different things and watched the lights shut off, but in a few minutes they would come back on and would not go off.
Now I disconnect the negative cable when I get out of the truck. I will deal with this inconvenience till they find a fix. I cannot let them keep my truck if they can't figure out what is wrong or can't get parts.

#11 · (Edited)
I know the key is all the way off. The tabs were broke off my 09 so you could take the key out anytime so I got used to making sure it was all the way off. I had done a full walk around the last nite before it died and made sure I couldn't see any lights and all switches were off.

Also I feel for ya with your Outdoorsman . I refuse to start pulling cables when I get out.My rental Ram is already approved for 14 more days of loaner time and the lady at Ram customer care said she will extend it if my truck isn't fixed.
I paid for a truck that runs and I either want that or they can buy it back. 30 days in TX till its a lemon- 24 left....

#12 ·
I am still doing my research on what brand my next truck is going to be. Probably about a month away from making a decision. Post's like this really concern me about buying a Ram! But, Ram isn't the only truck that has issues. I just did a youtube search for "Ecoboost shaking" and they definitely have issues as well. Maybe this board needs a Positive ownership thread!

#17 ·
I'm sure murphy's law may chime in as soon as I post this but just so you know not everyone is having this problem. I have a 2013 bighorn QC and I did the 8.4a 13.1 update (before people started posted there may be problems with it) and its been a few weeks and I have yet to have any problems. I even went away this weekend leaving the truck in the garage without being started for 3 days. Its started w/o a problem. I think you will see more posts about problems since people will usually turn to them when they are seeking input. Good luck with your choice so far I have no regrets.

#14 ·
I've been having the same problem - dash lights and uconnect/radio stay on. I've brought it in to two different dealerships and they can't figure out the problem. One dealership told me they contacted Chrysler Engineering who tried to help them resolve the problem but no fix, problem is still happening. Both dealerships told me at this point I will have to wait it out until there is either a recall or a cluster update. So everytime it happens I've been disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes and re-connecting the battery, this resolves the problem for a couple startups until it happens again then you gotta do the battery disconnect/reconnect again. Not a great solution but it prevents a dead battery for the time-being until they find a fix.

#15 ·
I have my '13 Laramie for about 2 months now and haven't had a battery problem yet. What I did notice one day though was when I shut the truck off, I sat talking on my phone and noticed noises coming from the dash. It kinda sounded like a cd changer searching for a cd. I have no idea what it was, but I haven't had any problems as of yet. Oh, and it only lasted for about 30 seconds.

#16 ·
Several guys have 2012 F150's with the Eco boost with a lot more mileage than mine with no issues. My boss has a new raptor and a couple guys have F250's so needles to say I catch some shit for having. 13 with 4k already dead. I am not a Eco boost guy I would have opted for the 5.0 personally. The 2012 XLT I almost got with a 6" lift and 35's had the 5.0 and drove good but someone else bought it while I was test driving new rams. Kinda wishing I had just kept my 09 Ram. I traded it since it had 110k and I wanted a new truck that I didn't have to worry about fixing. Lol guess that way my bad.
I do not want to have to disconnect shit or any of that they will either get it fixed or I am not taking it back. I didn't pay all this hard earned money for a truck still under construction.

#19 ·
The BCM is a lot more inexpensive than the radio, in which it will be the last part swapped out. It would concern me that their process of troubleshooting is "swapping parts." That's not troubleshooting. Working on planes for 23+ years, I've seen that type of t/s'ing on many occasions. Normally when it fixes the problem it's coincidence. the problem will come back, eventually.

#20 ·
8.4A radio. Ya I do auto paint and body so I am just letting them do there thing at Dodge. The BCM swap on the 3rd day seemed a little out of the norm to me but hey it's not my dime.
I stopped doing any real motor work when I sold my 93 5.0. Too many computers now.

#21 ·
Ok well got another call. After a BCM swap and apparently more testing the though is now I need a new 8.4a. It should be in anytime between 3 and 14 days. What a time frame I could have my truck back this week, next week, or the week after that. Well at least I got the loaner. They better remember to turn the nav back on. This kinda sucks

#22 ·
Make sure you get a your unit registered again with Sirus for you free 1 year while you're at the dealership. There was someone else that had the unit replaced and the Sirus people wouldn't honor the 1 year free again. I don't know how it got resolved.

#23 ·
Nope I expect the Sirius and Nav to work before it is taken off their lot. I will not accept it unless they have everything the way it was before. Then back to the dealer I got it from for a new rear passenger window since they scratched the glass when they tinted it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.