DODGE RAM FORUM banner

short tail gate for towing a motorcycle and 33ft travel trailer

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  AzHunter 
#1 ·
does any one know if there is a 8 inch tailgate replacement out there? all i need is about 8 inches for my rear tire to sit on so i can take my bike with me when we go camping in the TT if i leave my full gate on it bumps against he trailer in type turn that is more than roughly 45 degrees which is most turn getting into camp grounds and getting around places in towns. im trying to to have to go get a piece fabbed but it is always a opision because i have to take off my bed cover anyways. any advise and sggestions are welcome.

#2 ·
never seen something like that. and didn't come across anything in a quick google search.

but here is a free bump for ya in case someone else has some info

BUMP

#3 ·
Can't say I've ever seen something like it either. But I'm sure there's ways you could build something yourself, or have it done at a fab shop. If you could get the stock anchors the the tailgates turn on and mount those to a piece of steel and also use a stock type cable (they would have to be shorter of course) you would essentially have your own custom stubby tailgate. Just an idea....

#4 ·
Find a junk tail gate, and remove the hinges. Or buy a set of Dorman's (for your truck), at local auto parts. Get a 2x8 or 2x10, cut to width of your tailgate. Mount inside hinge, attach to truck, you may be able to use existing supports. Add a reversed wheel chock in center, if thats where your bike is riding at. Can put on and off, just like a normal tail gate as needed. Makes a good temporary work bench if needed as well, we did this on a Ford F150. Worked good.

#7 ·
Is the issue you can not drop your tailgate because it hits your jack if you lower it? If so, often you can buy an electric trailer jack and that is usually positioned so you can lower your tail gate. Either that or get a hitch extension and push your hitch back a couple inches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.