DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Multiple Problems after 5k worry free miles

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  012RAMbo 
#1 ·
So all of a sudden yesterday I drive to the park and back home and notice multiple things. I have just recently went over 5k miles in my new 2013 Ram 1500:

1. The air conditioner no longer works. It barely gets to what I would call cool - just blows hot air.
2. The radio no longer shuts off when I get out of the car and close and lock the door. So I manually push the button in to turn it off before getting out. (I have the UConnect 3.0)
3. I have my front lights set to "Auto" and even though this trip to the park was in sunlight the lights came on and stayed on during the round trip.

After these happened I called and made a dealer appointment for tomorrow morning.

Furthermore, after driving it one more time a day later I noticed the radio shut itself off during the drive. Very worried as it appears something is draining the battery and that is a safety mechanism.

Thoughts?

-Frustrated

See less See more
#4 ·
Actually saw a review on the 2013 Express on YouTube and they had the same issue with the radio not shutting off! I think these are minor hiccups the dealer can knock out for you. Keep in mind if these issues do not occur at the dealer chances are they won't do anything about it.

#5 ·
When my 8.4a killed my truck I got a free 13 slt quad cad loaner from the dealer.

#10 ·
In the USA, when your headlight switch is in the AUTO position
it will turn on your lights automatically when it gets dark out, passing under some bridges, tunnels, & dense tree cover. That is the way it was designed
I need my headlights on whenever i am doing a job, day or night & on certain roads that require headlights be on 24/7 right close to where i live, so i have a piece of cloth covering the little dome in the center of the dashboard, close to the windshield. My lights are on whenever my ignition is on, so i can't get another ticket :(

sounds like your 8.4 radio has a glitch, like many others
it also controls the Climate Controls

Good Luck

#12 ·
Must be something with 5000 miles cause I'm having multiple problems of my own! It's been back at the dealer for loose body mounts(twice), fuel pressure sensor went, radio screen freezes, wipers only work on low or high nothing else, recalls, updates, and now I get the message that the phone needs service. I've owned this truck for 4 months with 6000 miles on it and already I'm starting to get pissed with it.

#13 ·
and now I get the message that the phone needs service.
Ah, the dreaded "service phone" message of death.

Did yours start after updating the radio firmware? Is your GPS nonfunctional now? That's what happened to mine.

#16 ·
just had an issue with mine yesterday...volume wouldn't go up then blanked out. Message said phone needs service. , so I turned the truck off, and restarted everything back to normal. Ill get the firmware update when I bring her in for maintenance interval. Always had the issue with BT music skipping and navigation acting retarded LOL

#17 ·
Luckily, the truck was in the shop for just a couple of hours and these were easy fixes. We had a great trip to Destin, FL and back (first trip in the truck). I am now over 7,000 miles since I bought on 2/23/13 and, *knock on wood*, am hoping this truck is over this brief weirdness. Other than that weekend, it has been everything I expected.

#18 ·
Awesome. Glad you got your issues fixed quickly. What did the dealership say about it? I noticed a few other guys had the same issues and were wondering what the outcome was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.