DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Front End Clunk over bumps

48K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  Diab33tus 
#1 · (Edited)
My nice 2013 Ram Sport 4X4 4,000KM has developed a clunk on the front right everytime I go over a bump. I took it to the dealer last week and they are unable to determine what is causing it. They can hear the clunk but are unable to determine what it is. They are going to try to replace the suspension I believe in the front to see if that's it and according to the service tech. If that isn't the issue they are going to have to "open up the whole dash"

Great... I can see more issues if they open the dash up!

#2 ·
I had a similar clunk on a Saturn Outlook. I would only hear it at low speed (<10 mph) when going over bumps. It was a bad sway bar end link. A couple places told me nothing was wrong, but the guy that finally fixed it told me it had to be diagnosed while the truck was on the ground - not on a lift - which is why the other places could not find it.

#3 ·
PUsh up and down on it

My nice 2013 Ram Sport 4X4 4,000KM has developed a clunk on the front right everytime I go over a bump. I took it to the dealer last week and they are unable to determine what is causing it. They can hear the clunk but are unable to determine what it is. They are going to try to replace the suspension I believe in the front to see if that's it and according to the service tech. If that isn't the issue they are going to have to "open up the whole dash"

Great... I can see more issues if they open the dash up!
Go out to your truck and push up and down on it. Or have someone push up and down on it. See if you can find the "clunk". Grab the tie rod and wiggle it. Listen and watch the sway bar, end links, shocks. Lay under if (if safe) and have someone PUSH up and down on it. Rock it. Look at the shock absorber eyelets.
Don't let them tear apart your dash.

#4 ·
I agree with Valley. Dash sounds don't clunk, they usually squeak. A clunk is a suspension noise and thus, has to be under a load, meaning on the ground. They should have induction microphones that they can place on the frame to pin point where the clunk is coming from.

#6 ·
Yeah I am not going to let them pull the dash apart. I know something will be forever messed up if they open it. But they said they are going to replace the suspension and some other items. Parts should be in on Friday and I'll let you guys know.

#8 ·
They ended up replacing the front right struts and shocks. Noise is gone now. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it comes back again.

Question: Anyone who has the push start button, notice that if the truck hasn't been started in about 2 -3 days when you push on the break peddle it feels like it's very hard and it's right to the top, can't push it down like normal?

#10 ·
Mine does it where th brake pedal gets hard after sitting a couple days. Its the vacuum leaking out if the power brake booster. I have had other cars/trucks do the same thing, but you notice it more with the pushbutton start since you have to push the brakes to start it.

Not sure if there is any spec on how long the brake booster has to hold the vacuum, seems like sitting 3 days is when I notice the pedal getting harder when starting.

#11 ·
Do you still have the stock bumper? I put an Iron Cross on mine and because the body floats on the frame, everytime i go over a bump too fast the body flexes and hits my iron cross near the front lights... just something I have to live with.. I used some foam tape to try and make it less painful..

#14 ·
i have a noise coming from my right front suspension as well... i guess i wouldn't necessarily call it a clunk but more of a rattle... i only notice it when going at slower speeds, like going over a speed bump or into a drive way... had the dealership take it for a ride when i was in for an oil change and they "could not replicate" the sound... it started doing that around 500 miles... :4-dontknow:

#15 ·
Have the dealer check your body mounts. My '13 Laramie cc has been back to the dealer twice now for loose body mounts. The techs could hear the noise while they were driving the truck, but couldn't pinpoint it. They actually had to push up and down on truck while one sat there listening for the noise. They told me it wasn't 100% tight and "fixed it", now a month later, the noise is back. With all the small recalls, updates, radio reception, and fixes this truck needs, I'm really loosing faith in ram. Oh and the sound was coming from the Front passenger side.

#17 ·
the brake thing is normal, it will do it if you turn off your truck and pump the brakes, just remember if you are ever driving (especially at hwy speeds) and your truck dies you only have one shot at hitting the brakes, make it count and dont let off until you've stopped :) just a friendly reminder

#20 ·
You can still stop your vehicle, but the brake booster stops assisting you as there is no more vacuum coming from the engine to create the boosted brake effort.

This is why your brakes feel hard when you initially start the truck. No engine vacuum = no brake boost.

#21 ·
Friend at work just had his done. He said the truck has 10,000 km's on it and the noise was getting worse.

Dealer took an hour or so to find it but they eventually did and tightened said bolt and all is well again.

Not sure why it is just the right side but it sounds like this is a common problem/issue?

#19 ·
Analyze suspension clunks manually

Don't mean to be ranting, if you can get under the truck (be safe) and have someone PUSH in all directions, or move the steering wheel a little, suspension clunks are usually quite audible.

1/2 the problem solved If you can find the noise, possibly adjust something yourself.

#23 ·
Hey guys-

I have a 2013 Laramie with just over 2000 miles and this problem developed last week. I lived with it a few days until I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed a breaker bar with a 17mm (I think?) socket and turned all the passenger side body mount bolt 1/8th turn. Problem solved.

#25 ·
Ironic timing - mine is at the dealership for the clunk. They were tearing down the front shocks/struts yesterday. I have to go by today so I will mention the body mounts. The great news is my dealership will actually listen to customer input and I always preface it with this is the trending solution...and only after they've attempted to fix it with no luck. This forum is truly a great resource. Thanks

#28 ·
I've had mine in for this as well. They even claimed to have a Chrysler engineer look at it. They tightened all the right (passenger) side front end body bolts and this fixed the problem.....for about 1 1/2 months. It's back now and I don't have the time right now for them to screw around with it for a week again like they did last time. Would rather do it myself if I knew exactly where the offending bolt(s) is/are.

#32 ·
my truck started doing it about two months ago. Slow speed, over bumps, more noticable when the one side of the front suspension is offset by the other. Bumps or packed ice on rt tires vs dry pavement on the left.Had a mechanic check it out and together we rocked the truck back and forth. Then jsut me while he crawled under it. And he says it is the sway bar/front suspension stabilizer link on the rt side. Way more movement than the left one. Noise and visual cues seem to diagnose its the right side suspension. Otw to the dealer.

#34 ·
2013 1500 sport here, this drove me crazy for about 6months before it figured it out. There is a scissor jack and lug wrench directly under the passenger seat, the lug wrench is velcroed to the scissor jack and the scissor jack is held down by one wing screw bolt, if either comes loose they will bang and make a metal on metal clunking sound from hitting the metal under the seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.