DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rear Locking Diff Question

21K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Thunderhorse 
#1 ·
Please excuse this question if it seems rather stupid, but this is my first Dodge truck so I'm not familiar with it entirely. I just wanted to know if there is a way of determining whether or not it has a rear locking differential, specifically an electronic rear locking diff similar to GM's Eaton G80 differential. My truck's posted on my profile, an '03 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Crew Cab 5.7L Hemi 4x4. The range select is on the floor unfortunately, not the electronic range select that I would absolutely love to have. It has the 20 inch wheel package, if that helps.

#6 ·
I took a look in the glovebox today. I got a locking rear diff! Great stuff! I also have 3.92 gears, and strangely enough a 5-speed automatic? What the hell? I thought Rams only came with a 5-speed auto this year. Hell, if this is true then I definitely can't complain about having the extra cog. :)

#12 · (Edited)
Hi All,

While it is true that it is not a "locking diff" I have measured less than 6" of single spin before the other wheel kicks in. Also when in 4X4 and I hit the gas it is almost an instant three wheels spinning. Of course mine is a 13. I would not trade it for much of anything. It really is a beast of a truck.
Op make sure you do a rear end service on your truck and use the limited slip additive that your manual calls for.

preachp

#15 ·
Unless you have a Power Wagon, you don't have a locker. You can get an LSD (which is arguably more useful for everyday driving)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.