DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Check Engine Light on OBDII reader wont link

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Mopartruckin 
#1 · (Edited)
The check engine light is on but when I hook up the OBDII reader at O'reilly's it wont link. I am worried:sad:it says it is linked to the ISO 9141 but cant read or complete the link. I had a shop repair my exhaust, could he have not unhooked the battery during welding and would that make something like this happen. It came on about 3 days after I had the work done.

BTW, truck is running fine

#2 ·
Just for gee whiz, I'd first get a flashlight and make certain that there arent any bent corroded or pushed in pins on your connector, very common on aircraft black boxes. then I'd look at the connectors on the ECU for the same stuff, from there, whew, don't know where I'd go, but it doesn't sound good... Good Luck!!

#5 ·
That's good, what was the code BTW. Looks like that first scanner was using a different protocol, there are three different ones it could be.

Mind you this truck just came back from the shop for the second time after a tranny rebuild in December. Throwing code P1740 TCC (torque converter clutch) solenoid or overdrive solenoid. I had them reset it and I will see if it comes back and if so...........back to the shop for round 3:box:

#7 ·
From my experience just resetting / clearing the code is a short term solution, they always end up coming back. Did you get a warranty on the rebuild, it's obviously tranny related. Good luck and keep us posted.
Yeah, thats what saved my bacon when I had to take it back the second time after the rebuild. I think they had to replace the rear planets, but they didnt provide me with a parts/labor breakdown. Gonna go get that from them this week. I reset it more as test to see if it was an isolated false or a legit code

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.