DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Chrome flaking off factory wheels

7K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  evensen 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone knows if this is covered under the corrosion warranty.

If have the 20" chrome clad wheels on my 09 Ram Sport, doing my spring cleaning on the wheels from winter and I noticed the each wheel in some areas has a bit of the chrome flaking off and showing the raw plastic, has to be wear and tear from winter, but heck my 06 has the same rims and never saw flaking. I keep them pretty clean in the winter, but spring time they get a complete detailing.

Dealership is going to look at them this week, says its not covered but will look at them.

Thanks!

#2 ·
mine is doing this also and i have herd that there are ppl on here getting them covered but let me know how it turns out bud

#4 ·
What he's saying is there are people here getting them replaced under warranty. I plan on having mine looked at too as there are signs of pitting on the chrome. If they won't warranty them I'm going to get some PlastiDip paint and modify them to be black and chrome.

#5 ·
I've read that people have had them covered under warranty for the pitting and chipping. Will be interesting to hear what your dealer does.

#8 ·
mine is doing this also and i have herd that there are ppl on here getting them covered but let me know how it turns out bud
Well up in here in Canada, my service manager will NOT cover any flaking on the chrome rims. It falls under driving damage in his book... Kinda gay, but it depends on the service manager. You could have the Service manager take some pictures and send them to the district service manager, see what he says on the issue.

#23 ·
I say this in the most NON criticizing way possible: Your use of "gay" in that context is offensive. I say this after being helped with sensitivity issues by a very intelligent niece who I have tremendous respect for. It just makes sense to avoid saying hurtful things.

#11 ·
I am in Canada and mine were replaced, no questions asked as well as the running boards,one fell off and they found out they were improperly installed so they put a new set on a week after the new rims. If you don't get your service done at the dealer or at least some of it, you don't get loyalty bonuses nor do they go out of their way to help you, I find as long as I get oil changes and stuff like that done there and rrt's tsbs what have you, they seem to be more willing to be helpful.

#12 ·
im gonna get mine checked out tomorrow cuz i gotta go get my mirror replaced!!!

#14 ·
How long is this corrosion warranty? I've noticed this on my truck too, and have had plenty of work done with my dealer. Purchased several cars and just had about 5k in warranty work done. Will be looking to get them replaced, but anyone have more details on this "corrosion warranty?"

#15 ·
I don't know that they would cover them under warranty so don't hold me to it. I can say that I had my truck to my dealer once for the valve stems. My truck has the tpms on it and the valve stems were the plastic grey plastic type. I took it to them because when the valve stems cracked it would let the tpms sensors drop down inside the tire and therefore it would let all my air out of my tire(s). They covered all 4 under warranty due to corrosion from road salt. I live in West Virginia so winters here are rough and road salt takes a tole on vehicles here. Hopefully you will have the same type of service from your dealer and they will cover your wheels under warranty due to corrosion. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

-Justin(mopar09)

#16 ·
Check the wheels some of the 20's are plastic covers now. Ford uses them on there edge wheels as well. I don't have my ram right now waiting for the dealer to get the new driveshaft and fix the axle. not sure what was damaged but the driveshaft broke at the rear axle and bot sure what caused it since it was rush hour and I couldn't get out and look just had it towed. I am going to ask when I get it back this week. it was covered by the dealer I got it from them this week so no out of pocket cost for me I got.it used for what was a decent price here from. they gave me a loaded black on black lariat with 30k for a loaner while it is being fixed so I don't have to miss work since I.need a hitch and my tans am and cobalt as aren't tow vehicles.

#17 ·
They are plastic covered, but the chrome finish is still chipping off. I don't have to deal with road salt in FL. The truck has seen snow though, but only for a month when I was building my house in MI. It's been in FL since I've had it, besides that short period of time. And your drive shaft seems to sound a lot like the one I had fixed. I believe it would have been upwards of 5k to fix, here's a link to my thread. Honestly, if it wasn't covered under warranty, I would have dumped it right then and there. Hell, I woulda taken the plates off and left it at the corner lmao :LOL:

#18 ·
Ya after reading that it sounds just like what happened to min but my driveshaft got lost. Still waiting for the place to fix my truck everyone is pointing fingers, all I know is my loaner is worth more and they don't get it back till I get my Ram.
Oh incase they don't cover the wheel caps this place sells them
http://wheelcovercity.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=769&=SID

#19 ·
are u talking about the plastic crome inserts on the 20 inch rims , have had no problem with mine , three years old and still the same way . they are plastic over lays on your rims can buy them on internet , pop off the old ones and snap on the new ,. what u expect from plastic . ha ha .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.